Paging Dos Niner Owners About Sizing- Mtbr.com

Mar 2005

Paging Dos Niner Owners About Sizing

I've recently realised that there are other alternatives in the 29er world other than Gary Fisher and Karate Monkeys and the Dos Niner really caught my eye. I was looking at their bikes on Speedgoat and I see they over there bikes from 16 to 22 in two inch increments. My problem is that I know I will fit a 21" frame but being that Salsa offers a 20" or a 22" I'm not sure which would fit me better. I'm 6'4 with a 37 " inseam and if you need other information just ask I'm not sure exactly what to give, I've searched through 7 pages of Dos Niner material and although there has been some talk on 18 inch sizing it didn't really help much. Thanks for any help!

May 2005
    I ride a 22" Dos with a 130mm stem and about 82cm from BB to the top of my seat w/180mm cranks. I'm a hair under 6'5". It is the most comfortable I've ever been on a mtn bike. The only thing I would change about it is drop the top tube a bit (I hate it when my brake levers smack the top tube) and add some rear tire clearance. And maybe turn it into a Moots. The Salsa website has geometry charts; compare what you ride now to the Salsa info.

If you live in the DC area you can swing by my shop and test ride mine.

-loren

The Duuude, man...
    Quote Originally Posted by kris_flatlander
    I'm 6'4 with a 37" inseam and if you need other information just ask

Thanks for any help!
    22" for sure. No question.
    FS: Everything

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evilbike
    I ride a 22" Dos with a 130mm stem and about 82cm from BB to the top of my seat w/180mm cranks. I'm a hair under 6'5". It is the most comfortable I've ever been on a mtn bike. The only thing I would change about it is drop the top tube a bit (I hate it when my brake levers smack the top tube) and add some rear tire clearance. And maybe turn it into a Moots. The Salsa website has geometry charts; compare what you ride now to the Salsa info.

If you live in the DC area you can swing by my shop and test ride mine.

-loren
    I had a 20" Dos for about a week... I loved the bike but missed the "genisis" (or how ever you spell it)geometry...the dos seemed short and tall. I'm just under 6'5" with about a 36" inseam. Because I love the Fisher geometry and wanted a bit more standover, I went with a 20" with a Thompson laid back post. Seemed to work ok, but I couldn't tell you long term.

N+1

agreed

I'm 6'5" w/ 36" inseam the height was perfect, but length was a tad short. No question, 22" Dos for you.
    GET Bret Weir, I said.

May 2005
    My apron smells awful.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Go with the 22

I have been riding a 20 all season and really love it. At 6'2" that is the size for me. I could get into a 22, but would need an extremely short stem. For your height a 22 is definitely in order.

Mar 2005

Thanks, now...

Thanks everyone for the great responses, now I come to my second conundrum. I work at a LBS and we're a Fisher dealer. I've been doing some figuring and looking at a desirable parts kit for the Dos Niner seems kind of expensive compared to a full fisher. So I was thinking why not buy the Fisher (Paragon) and sell the frame, what would I be able to get for a Fisher frame anyways? I still haven't crunched any concrete numbers because now that schools back up and running I haven't stopped by the shop recently to check out the catalogues and calculate out deals. Also do you think that my shop owner would be ok with me doing something like that, I'd get the bike on a shop deal and just swap the frames but I'm not sure if he'd frown upon resale of discoutned product, or deviating from the shop brands period, thanks for any help.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    If you go that route, you might have someone else sell the frame. Trek/Fisher really frowns upon shop employees buying something at EP pricing and then selling on ebay. This is somewhat different but still you are you buying a Fisher at EP and then not riding it, i.e. the reason they give EP in the first place. This caused a lot of problems a year ago and i believe Trek has cut back significantly on who and how many bikes can be bought at EP.

May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kris_flatlander
    Thanks everyone for the great responses, now I come to my second conundrum. I work at a LBS and we're a Fisher dealer. I've been doing some figuring and looking at a desirable parts kit for the Dos Niner seems kind of expensive compared to a full fisher. So I was thinking why not buy the Fisher (Paragon) and sell the frame, what would I be able to get for a Fisher frame anyways? I still haven't crunched any concrete numbers because now that schools back up and running I haven't stopped by the shop recently to check out the catalogues and calculate out deals. Also do you think that my shop owner would be ok with me doing something like that, I'd get the bike on a shop deal and just swap the frames but I'm not sure if he'd frown upon resale of discoutned product, or deviating from the shop brands period, thanks for any help.
    I was considering doing the same kind of thing with a Giant brand road bike: buy the bike, sell the frame and replace my litespeed's worn out ultegra stuff w/fancy new dura-ace. I decided to blow my cash on a Dos Niner and an XO kit from QBP instead. Anyhow, manufacturers usually have a clause in their pro-deal forms that states that you agree to not sell the bike for a period of one year after purchase, so you should at least feel bad for not riding the product they've sold you for so cheap. After all, that's the whole reason for pro-deals; to get shop guys out on the product they're supposed to support.

Members who have read this thread: 0