Pagin Dos Niner owners and/or experts....- Mtbr.com

Jun 2004

Pagin Dos Niner owners and/or experts....

Weighing only a buck 30 I have a lot of problems with certain brands of air shocks in that even at minimal psi I can't get full travel or get them to be compliant on small stutter hits. I'm considering a Dos Niner to complement my FS 29er but am concerned about the "Relish" shock. I fully realize having owned a couple YBB's that there's not much travel to play around with on a soft tail....and what travel there is you need it for the smaller hits. The YBB has a steel coil spring and activates very quickly and "plushly" on stutter bumps. So, to my point, what do you Salsa riders think about my weight on that frame...and, any idea who manufacturers the shock?
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

The shock weight settings start low

Quote Originally Posted by TheOldMan
    Weighing only a buck 30 I have a lot of problems with certain brands of air shocks in that even at minimal psi I can't get full travel or get them to be compliant on small stutter hits. I'm considering a Dos Niner to complement my FS 29er but am concerned about the "Relish" shock. I fully realize having owned a couple YBB's that there's not much travel to play around with on a soft tail....and what travel there is you need it for the smaller hits. The YBB has a steel coil spring and activates very quickly and "plushly" on stutter bumps. So, to my point, what do you Salsa riders think about my weight on that frame...and, any idea who manufacturers the shock?
    Thanks.
    The shock settings start at 125lbs. 20-31 PSI for a starting point and is very "tuneable". I've got it set for myself as a 200 pounder and my buddy rode it set down for a 150 pounder reset was fast and simple Going by the o-ring on the shock we both used most of the travel. Just remember there's not much travel to use. When I asked for shock settings when I picked up the frame the shop guy said use the Rock Shox recomendations and print out a Salsa sheet. It could be a RS it it very nice quality. I won't give a report as it's only been together one week and 115 miles but my die hard, steel hard tail only, riding buddy, who told me "don't waste your money on a aluminum soft-tail" will be getting his this weekend!

rider

According to Salsa...

I'm 200 lbs or 14.26 stone in the UK (i like that stone unit) so my Dos is muscled so ihere it is according to Salsa:

"The Relish is a low pressure air shock with a total range of 10-80 PSI. A starting point when setting air pressure is to divide rider weight by 4 to 6."

Rider Weight/PSI Starting Point

125 lbs/ 20–31
    150 lbs/ 25–38
    175 lbs/ 29–43
    200 lbs/ 33–50
    225 lbs/ 38–56
    250 lbs/ 42–62

rider
    Quote Originally Posted by cgcharlie
    I've got it set for myself as a 200 pounder and my buddy rode it set down for a 150 pounder reset was fast and simple Going by the o-ring on the shock we both used most of the travel. Just remember there's not much travel to use. I won't give a report as it's only been together one week and 115 miles but my die hard, steel hard tail only, riding buddy, who told me "don't waste your money on a aluminum soft-tail" will be getting his this weekend!
    cgcharlie - What pressure did you end up with? We're the same weight. I started at 33 and ended up at 40 but I have bottomed.

TheOldMan - Are you 59/60 years young? Total respect! That's awesome that you're into the 29ers!! I'm 42 and I hope I can keep those cranks circling at 59 years young! Good luck with the Dos, don't be a stranger to the forum, ride on...

mtbr member

Guidelines

Hey folks. Just a note from Salsa. Based on all the folks we ride with and have met at various events, Relish shock settings vary widely and ultimately are up to the rider. Some folks use 5-10lbs. Others use a lot.

Personally, I like to ride it on the low pressure side. If your like me and like it to move easily thru it's stroke, you'll probably run it in the 5-10lb area. If you like to run the bike more like a hardtail (and you can), you'll run it much higher.

The guidelines we include with the frame are just that, guidelines. Here is my recommendation.

Start with our guideline and ride it. I mean really ride it. A spin around the parking lot isn't enough. You need a baseline to compare other settings.

Use a good pump. I've had the best luck with the new Rock Shox pumps.

Experiment

If you've got more questions that for some reason aren't answered by the knowledgable board members or by my email, give us/me a call.

1-877-moto-ace

Jason

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

45 works for me

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSwami.com
    cgcharlie - What pressure did you end up with? We're the same weight. I started at 33 and ended up at 40 but I have bottomed.

TheOldMan - Are you 59/60 years young? Total respect! That's awesome that you're into the 29ers!! I'm 42 and I hope I can keep those cranks circling at 59 years young! Good luck with the Dos, don't be a stranger to the forum, ride on...
    Started at 33 also, then went to 50, then down to 45. Haven't bottomed out at 45 and that includes going in an out of a 8 ft. deep wash. How do you like the Reba on yours? I'm borrowing a MX Comp and it feels nice, but I'm leaning towards a Reba. Oh and I need your cranks, very nice!

Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamSwami.com.
    [B
    TheOldMan[/B] - Are you 59/60 years young? Total respect! That's awesome that you're into the 29ers!! I'm 42 and I hope I can keep those cranks circling at 59 years young! Good luck with the Dos, don't be a stranger to the forum, ride on...
    Thanks for the encouragement! I keep 'em turning but it gets harder and harder at times. Had a good season last year in Sport Master but it's getting tougher with all the 50 year old "kids" coming into the class. Been enjoying the 29er forum of late -- use to hang out at MTBR.com a lot during the early 96-97 days.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Ot ... 96-97

Ever wear socks on your hands instead of gloves.