Orange El Mar with Gumwalls?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Orange El Mar with Gumwalls?

For my next set of tires, I was thinking of going with Soma Cazadero's (50's) or WTB Resolutes in gumwall.

I dig riding a rig that isn't run-of-the-mill (looking at you Trek/Spesh/Cannondale/Giant of the world) and don't often see many other Salsa's when out pedaling. Thought the gumwalls would look pretty retro-cool on the orange El Mar (not running stock these days - 1x11 with Whisky CF fork).

Anyone have gumwalls on their Salsa?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Just ordered a set of Teravail Coronado skinwalls for my Timberjack build. Ill post pics when it goes together...
    Salsa Timberjack SS
    -Gears give me headaches

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Salsa El Mar Orange W/ Gumwalls

Maxxis Ikon gumwalls set up tubeless. Seated easily on stock MT66 wheels. Love them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Orange El Mar with Gumwalls?-gumwall1.jpg  

Orange El Mar with Gumwalls?-gumwall2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Salsa Timberjack with Teravail Coronado 27.5 x 3 tires, in skinwall of course

Orange El Mar with Gumwalls?-73d96cb7-e0ee-415e-922f-22fa0b2f5508.jpg
    Last edited by Sage of the Sage; 07-13-2018 at 06:21 AM.
    Salsa Timberjack SS
    -Gears give me headaches

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Well, finally got the Soma Cazadero 700x50's mounted. Love how they look and ride. For me, I've been inflating them to 47/F and 50/R (I'm 205#) and they roll pretty damn fast, pavement and hard-pack dirt.

Mounting them on WTB KOM 29er i25's was simple - no issues whatsoever. However, I've been dealing with some flats after bike sits for a day (running tubeless). Some of it is leaking through the rear valve stem (user error when removing said stem during mounting) but the tires do suffer from some sidewall seepage. After 366 miles, it seems like they're not holding pressure as well as the Kenda Flintridge 700x40's previously on the bike.

At higher pressures, there is some washout going into turns quickly on the loose stuff. But that's to be expected.

All in all, I'm glad to have bought the tires (few issues notwithstanding). Got them from Tree Fort for a pretty good price, $67/tire.

Haven't tried them yet on flowy single track.

(Photo taken before converting from 1x11 to 2x11)

Orange El Mar with Gumwalls?-el-mar-8-10-2018.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I have Ardent gumwalls on my red El Mar 3. I love the look. I'm about ready to upgrade the drive train to 1X.

I rode it the other day, and I really enjoyed riding it more than my FS bike (which is, admittedly, an older Camber with crap suspension and geometry).