Old School La Cruz, New School Twist- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Old School La Cruz, New School Twist

1997 Salsa La Cruz modified at Chris Kelly for disc tabs. It's also a Kelly fork. I got the bike off of ebay and it came with mustache bars already installed and a Bell Lap bar as an "extra." Currently it has barcon shifters, but a set of Kelly Take Offs were also included in the "extras." I couldn't take the mustache bars so I threw the Bell Laps on there and it's much better. I made some stem, post adjustments so that the position mirrors my other La Cruz and I can hop back and forth between the bikes with no problem.

I think I'll end up throwing the Take Offs on there to see if I like them. The barcons are OK, but I think it'll be a problem in an actual CX race since this bike will be a pit bike as well. I'm also toying with the idea of getting the Retroshift brakes, but the price is swaying me.......we'll see how well I like the Take Offs first.

All in all I'm pretty excited to have this bike. I wanted another La Cruz (the orange one), but another color, and one with a little more history is a bonus.

Odd bonus in the "extras" that came with this bike were a set of drop bar hydraulic brakes. Magura HS77(?) levers attached to Magura Julie brake calipers. I didn't try them on the bike but they seem to function properly. Vintage drop bar hydraulic disc brakes?? Who knew.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 88 rex View Post
    [IMG]Odd bonus in the "extras" that came with this bike were a set of drop bar hydraulic brakes. Magura HS77(?) levers attached to Magura Julie brake calipers. I didn't try them on the bike but they seem to function properly. Vintage drop bar hydraulic disc brakes?? Who knew.
    They sound like a bit of a home-made bodge. Magura only made drop bar rim brake and the louise calipers require an 'open' type level or you risk having them fail if they overheat (prob fine for 99% of the time tho).

Kelly take-offs are great, but i found they work better (more user friendly) with Downtube type shifter units as opposed to barcon type, tho they will work if thats what you have.

Nice bike tho.

Members who have read this thread: 0