No more El Mar?- Mtbr.com

Thread: No more El Mar?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

No more El Mar?

I heard a rumor that the El Marachi was going to be discontinued?

Anyone else heard this....would make me very sad and I'd probably buy a frame to stash away till I needed it.

Hoping what I heard was wrong.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    You could call Salsa direct. Great customer service

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    be interesting to see what replaces it

mtbr member
    I was hoping the El Mariachi would become a 27.5+ next year. It would be cool to have the option to swap in 29" wheels, while continuing with a nice steel frame. Bummer.
    "Caught my first tube this morning....sir!"

Human Test Subject
    I think up til this year's models everything was designed by Tim Krueger. With his departure they'll probably change a lot in the 2017 model year.

Just get an Advocate Cycles Hayduke.
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.

HIKE!
    Frostbike is coming up at QBP (Salsa's parent corp) and likely any changes to the line up will be announced there. Frostbike, Sea Otter, and then the QBP summer event "Saddledrive" seem to be the press launches for most new/changed models!

Ambassador of Chub
    While I think the El Mar is a great bike, I'm not too surprised to hear that it is going to be discontinued. It is the oldest bike in Salsa's lineup, after all. But I also won't be surprised if it is replaced with something that is largely just an update of the El Mar under a new model name. I can't imagine Salsa not having a mtn. hardtail in their lineup. Maybe it will be the 27.5+ that many of use would like to see?

Just get an Advocate Cycles Hayduke.
    That's my plan.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Whisky Select Six. im sure there are a ton of hints there.

im betting 26+ capable of running other sizes as well

Harmonius Wrench
    The El Mar is indeed long in the tooth and the name goes back to the previous naming convention that Salsa used up until about 2010 when many of those models were phased out that used those "Latin" influenced names.

However; the El Mar has been a stalwart bikepacking rig and especially the Ti version. It would be somewhat odd for them not to have a modernized equivalent bike and alternative to the Fargo/Cutthroat drop bar offering.

I also foresee a change to a 27.5+/29 compatible type hard tail with a new name and a carbon/high end equivalent rig using the Class V rear design, like the Cutthroat does.

Or......and this would be my choice, a titanium bike with slack angled front/long top tube/short stayed design for 27.5+ or 29 that handled a 130mm-150mm front fork. Steel equivalent lower spec'ed frame to compliment this.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Birthday Collector
    Sounds like a lot of very unsubstantiated musings here. Will the Mariachi be "redesigned" slightly for 2017 or 18? Not unlikely, but the bike had a re-design in 2015. It will already clear a 27.5 x 2.8" tire. Salsa will release information on 2017 models this summer to their larger dealers, and everyone will get to see it when Saddledrive happens end of July or so... There will be something new at Sea Otter that I have word of, but I ain't saying anything more - it'll be there in a month and a half to see in the 'flesh'.
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by ATBScott View Post
    Sounds like a lot of very unsubstantiated musings here.
    Obviously.

This is the internet, after all.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Ambassador of Chub
    Sounds like a lot of very unsubstantiated musings here.
    Ok, that gave me my first good laugh of the day.

It will already clear a 27.5 x 2.8" tire.
    To perpetuate my own unsubstantiated musings, I would imagine a bike built specifically as a 27.5+ (and that will run a 3" tire), not just one that has the ability to be converted.

Salsa will release information on 2017 models this summer to their larger dealers, and everyone will get to see it when Saddledrive happens end of July or so... There will be something new at Sea Otter that I have word of, but I ain't saying anything more - it'll be there in a month and a half to see in the 'flesh'.
    Wait - you're saying there are actual events where we may learn more about such things?
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

Not really fixed.
    Feb 2016
    El Mar is turning into a Boosted 29/B+ bike this year.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post
    Obviously.

This is the internet, after all.
    Wait a minute! Are you implying that I can't trust everything I read on the internet? Darn it! I knew that IRS.GOV website was just trying to take my money!!
    Flotilla or Buffet.

Human Test Subject
    I heard if you currently have an El Mar the gubmint going to come take it away.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxfixed View Post
    This. I hope.

Not really fixed.
    Feb 2016
    The Fargo is also going to 29/B+, both as a response to the Horsethief/Pony Rustler success.

Harmonius Wrench
    The Fargo is also going to 29/B+, both as a response to the Horsethief/Pony Rustler success.
    It's the idea that makes the most sense and is consistent with trends in the marketplace.

And I absolutely love my B+ converted 2012 Fargo. A new model dedicated to the platform, with Boost spacing, I would assume, will be something I may have to spring for after all.

Waiting to see what Salsa does here.......
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Ambassador of Chub
    So which will it come spec'd with?

And I'm assuming that means ample clearance for a 3" B+ tire?

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Needs bigger seatpost w stealth routing

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

old and slow
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post
    Or......and this would be my choice, a titanium bike with slack angled front/long top tube/short stayed design for 27.5+ or 29 that handled a 130mm-150mm front fork. Steel equivalent lower spec'ed frame to compliment this.
    This, with Boost, is what I'm hoping for. Heller has the carbon version with the Shagamaw. Salsa should bring it in steel and Ti.
    There's only two things in life (but I forget what they are). - John Hiatt

Ambassador of Chub
    Looking forward to seeing what Salsa comes up with in this department. New bikes like the Advocate Hayduke and the updated and revised Marin Pine Mtn. are raising the bar right now, and the El Mar is feeling pretty dated by comparison. Boost will be a good move forward, but I hope there's more to it than that.

Ambassador of Chub
    Recently heard, from a very reliable source, that we can expect a significant upgrade to whatever this bike will be called going forward. Should know more soon....

lb2
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Heard there maybe something at Sea Otter... but in any case it should be soon.

Ambassador of Chub
    Quote Originally Posted by Flucod View Post
    Heard they will have updates in the future, soon!
    To the future!!

Birthday Collector
    Rumor is that the new Salsa at Sea Otter will be a Full-sus model...But sorry to say that I have heard that the "unsubstantiated rumors" that El Mar is going to get "sunset" after this year - is true...

The El Mar has been a great bike. It will be interesting to see what they bring out to replace it. It joins the Casseroll, Chili con crosso, Selma, Pistola, etc... I am sure that something interesting will replace it. If you want an El Mar, better grab one before they are gone. It's been a classic.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Whats everyone's wishlist for the elmar replacement? They gotta have a hardtail. The deadwood looks like the bikepacking bike of the future.

27.5+ / 29
    31.8 stealth routing seatpost
    Slightly slacker, talking maybe 68. 5* at the least
    120-140mm
    Updated alternator dropouts for boost
    Titanium option

Basically a titanium optioned Hayduke?

Harmonius Wrench
    Rumor is that the new Salsa at Sea Otter will be a Full-sus model...But sorry to say that I have heard that the "unsubstantiated rumors" that El Mar is going to get "sunset" after this year - is true...

The El Mar has been a great bike. It will be interesting to see what they bring out to replace it. It joins the Casseroll, Chili con crosso, Selma, Pistola, etc... I am sure that something interesting will replace it. If you want an El Mar, better grab one before they are gone. It's been a classic.
    The El Mar is the oldest bike in the line up, adheres to the old naming convention for models, (note the list of names you have of older Salsa bikes), and the design is getting outdated. Well, "gettig outdated"? No......that's wrong. It is antique by comparison to newer bikes.

So, what you are suggesting makes complete sense. No need to hang on to the old name when the new bike will be a completely different design. I think many on this thread are hitting some of the highlights of what we will see, although no one is mentioning carbon fiber as a frame material. I would not be at all surprised to see a new, slack, long and low trail oriented hardtail in carbon. I love titanium as much as the next guy, but look at what the other companies are doing in carbon and I could see it being a possibility for the new hardtail bike replacement here.

Next up for this treatment will be the Fargo, I bet. While they may hold on to that name, (it was the original "Adventure by Bike" model) , the new Deadwood name may be a hint as to what is to come there.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    If they get rid of the Elmariach and mine or my sons break Ill replace it with a karate monkey before a carbonated boosted long and low anything. IMO. All this talk bums me out. Heck id rather have a SS spearfish conversion to go with my geared Spearfish.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Can't imagine they'd drop a trailworthy steel hardtail from the lineup completely. Probably just get updated.

mtbr member
    Maybe I should hang on to that El Mari I was thinking about selling....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I will be sad to see see the El Mariachi disappear from the lineup. I am currently building up my first El Mar at the moment and it was really the only frame that ticked all the boxes for me in terms of versatility .

I'll be disappointed if the replacement is carbon. I have carbon bikes and they just lack something that steel doesn't. The only improvement I'd want would be stealth routing for a dropper post. I hate change.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    My lbs confirmed no more Mariachi in stock and no more coming . It is the end. If and when mine breaks ill go back to a Monkey. Sad sad day.

Not really fixed.
    Feb 2016
    Man all these LBS's that are saying the El Mar is dead must not be very in touch with their Salsa/QBP rep...

Ambassador of Chub
    Man all these LBS's that are saying the El Mar is dead must not be very in touch with their Salsa/QBP rep...
    Yeah, it must just be a case of a bunch of different LBS's coming to the same conclusion through some sort of mass delusion. And I guess we can also include the guy I know who has actually ridden the replacement...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Yeah... I'm pretty sure they will have a steel XC/trail hardtail in their lineup for the foreseeable future, even if they decide not to call it the El Mariachi anymore (which would be silly, because it's a great name).

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Smithhammer View Post
    Yeah, it must just be a case of a bunch of different LBS's coming to the same conclusion through some sort of mass delusion. And I guess we can also include the guy I know who has actually ridden the replacement...
    So are they doing away with the ElMar? I wouldn't expect that it's being replaced by a completely different bike; the Redpoint.

Spill it!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    hrmmmm, i saw something that looks like a prototype, and well, it will not be a disappointment

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop01 View Post
    So are they doing away with the ElMar? I wouldn't expect that it's being replaced by a completely different bike; the Redpoint.

Spill it!
    I can't imagine that there won't be a hardtail in Salsa's lineup. If the El Mar is gone then there has to be some sort of hardtail to replace it which the Redpoint is not.
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Can't imagine they'd drop a trailworthy steel hardtail from the lineup completely. Probably just get updated.
    This. Wouldn't need much doing - slightly wider back end to take 650B+ and a 30.9/31.6 seatpost.

I'd be disappointed if they do stop making it (or at least a steel 29er HT), but if they do, I'll just have to buy a Solaris when my El Mar comes due for replacement.

Lord Thunderbottom
    just picked up an el-mar frame last week...
    Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I am hearing there will be an aluminum "El Mar"?

mtbr member
    Wish list:
    B+ Carbon/alloy hard tail with race geo. PLEASE!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by fjtort2 View Post
    Wish list:
    B+ Carbon/alloy hard tail with race geo. PLEASE!
    go see what Rob has been riding

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by killarbb View Post
    go see what Rob has been riding
    This Rob - does he have an instagram feed or anything?

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ratherbeintobago View Post
    This Rob - does he have an instagram feed or anything?
    Rob Veerstegh or something on Salsa's team webpage, he has an Insta but hes just riding a Spearfish.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Rob Veerstegh or something on Salsa's team webpage, he has an Insta but hes just riding a Spearfish.

What's he ridin here, though?

Human Test Subject
    A beargrease with 29er wheels?

I hope they don't go carbon. This is their only MTB affordable to most.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    A beargrease with 29er wheels?

I hope they don't go carbon. This is their only MTB affordable to most.

I'd really hate to see them kill their steel hardtail. Really hoping the update the frame a bit, would like to see 650b+/29er....short stays, long top tube, slightly more slack....
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

Ambassador of Chub
    Quote Originally Posted by jcaino View Post
    I'd really hate to see them kill their steel hardtail. Really hoping the update the frame a bit, would like to see 650b+/29er....short stays, long top tube, slightly more slack....
    This seems to mirror what a lot of people are saying.

It also happens to be a pretty good description of the Advocate Hayduke, not coincidentally the product of former Salsa designer Tim Kreuger. In many ways, I think Tim has already produced the El Mar update that many of us have been wanting to see.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Smithhammer View Post
    This seems to mirror what a lot of people are saying.

It also happens to be a pretty good description of the Advocate Hayduke, not coincidentally the product of former Salsa designer Tim Kreuger. In many ways, I think Tim has already produced the El Mar update that many of us have been wanting to see.
    Hayduke looks awesome... wondering if it works as a singlespeed or if the geo is too slacked out.

begs the question at what point does modern geo kill the bike's ability to be run ss?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Hayduke looks awesome...
    PF BB though...

Also, why go for 31.6 instead of 30.9 seat tube?

Ambassador of Chub
    PF BB though...
    No probs with it yet. Nor on two other bikes that have seen a lot of use and minimal maintenance over the last year. I'm not saying PF problems are non-existent, just that I think they are somewhat overblown. But you can always throw a different BB in there - that shouldn't be a dealbreaker on an otherwise great build.

I would only be speculating, but honestly either way it isn't something that's going to keep me up at night. Now if only Eriksen would offer his Sweetpost in 31.6...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    PF BB though...

The PF BB is what's keeping me from pulling the trigger on that rig, too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Same here.. I'm weeding them out of my stable of bikes.. Only my CX bike is PF and it will be replaced by a Stoemper real soon.

Ambassador of Chub
    wondering if it works as a singlespeed or if the geo is too slacked out.

begs the question at what point does modern geo kill the bike's ability to be run ss?
    Not at all. The Hayduke can easily be run SS.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Any news yet?

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    bump!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Hayduke looks awesome... wondering if it works as a singlespeed or if the geo is too slacked out.

What about modern geometry makes it more difficult to run single?
    2003 Kona A
    2005 Kona A
    2012 Cannondale Hooligan
    2016 Salsa Deadwood

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by buell View Post
    What about modern geometry makes it more difficult to run single?
    Was thinking the slacked out front /short stems might start causing probs with singlespeed setups. "problems" as in making hills difficult to climb, not mechanically.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    you left out aluminum. RIP ElMar, hello Timberjack.

edit -looks like you can still do a 135/142 spaced axle with the appropriate alternator dropouts. still need a boost crank. I need a new SS frame - $399 msrp isn't bad.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    No steel HT MTB? Bye Salsa, it's been a great ride for many years, but, bye Salsa.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomikazi View Post
    No steel HT MTB? Bye Salsa, it's been a great ride for many years, but, bye Salsa.
    And PF BB, too. Ouch...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    They've been heading in this direction for a while now. Sad day for sure. That said, the price point on these new models is pretty killer.

The TimberJack is going to be perfect for my brother-in-law.

mtbr member
    the price point on these new models is pretty killer.
    are you on crack?

Woodsmoke 29 GX1 U.S. MSRP $2999.00

I guess you can get a newb build on the Timberjack, but I wouldn't call it "killer" for an aluminum HT and basic build spec.
    Timberjack 29 NX1 U.S. MSRP $999.00

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by go-pirates View Post
    And PF BB, too. Ouch...
    EDITED: Per Kid at Salsa, TimberJack is threaded BB.
    Last edited by nitrousjunky; 07-27-2016 at 04:27 AM.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

aka "SirLurkAlot"
    Mar 2010
    I feel like Salsa/QBP sold out to the latest fad. But, they're likely going with whatever the public wants so it is what it is I suppose.

I was hopeful that they would update the El Mariachi and keep it steel. The Timberjack just doesn't do it for me.

All that said, I'm no Luddite but I think that the manufacturers just keep "chasing" stuff. The 27.5 thing was something that I never really understood and seems to be slowing. I understand the appeal of 27+ as it's close to 29 but wider.

This will all settle out in a couple of years but Salsa seems to have lost something in the process.

But, that's one guys opinion. YMMV and different strokes for different folks. All that ultimately matters is that everyone gets out and rides; a lot.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    2014 El Mar Steel I bought in Dec of 2015. First steel HT and first SS and it rapidly became my favorite bike. I am in love with it. BUT they crack and break. Everyone I know that has one or has had one has had a crack. So what happens when mine breaks? And it will, I ride the S out of it, jump it, thrash it. If it breaks, I want another one just like it. So what happens? They replace it with whatever is new? Do I get any choice? Would they give me $ or credit on another manufacturers frame? This keeps me up at night. -_-

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Durt View Post
    2014 El Mar Steel I bought in Dec of 2015. First steel HT and first SS and it rapidly became my favorite bike. I am in love with it. BUT they crack and break. Everyone I know that has one or has had one has had a crack. So what happens when mine breaks? And it will, I ride the S out of it, jump it, thrash it. If it breaks, I want another one just like it. So what happens? They replace it with whatever is new? Do I get any choice? Would they give me $ or credit on another manufacturers frame? This keeps me up at night. -_-
    can't say for sure, but typically a bike manufacturer will replace with the most comparable model in the lineup, or offer a discount on an upgrade.

In your specific case, you have 4 years left on your steel frame warranty, and the closest bike in the lineup currently would be the timberjack. That's what I would guess they'd be willing to do a straight up swap for down the road (assuming they don't introduce another steel HT at some point). Very unlikely they're going to give you a credit to go buy another brand's bike. There might be a slight chance (but still unlikely) that QBP might give you a credit to use on another of their brands, like a surly, foundry, or all-city. Again - I wouldn't hold my breath there.

mtbr member
    Why worry about a steel frame? Isn't one of the benefits that it can be welded?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Why worry? Because as awesome as the mariachi is they tend to crack like crazy. I was in the same boat so I swapped the frame for a brand new Karate monkey. Rides better in my opinion and rarely crack. Now I have 3 monkeys. My son still has a 16 mariachi but he doesn't ride to hard. I don't like any of salsa's hardtails.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fixgeardan View Post
    Why worry? Because as awesome as the mariachi is they tend to crack like crazy. I was in the same boat so I swapped the frame for a brand new Karate monkey. Rides better in my opinion and rarely crack. Now I have 3 monkeys. My son still has a 16 mariachi but he doesn't ride to hard. I don't like any of salsa's hardtails.
    I've not been on the forum for a good while, maybe a year and a half or so, but I've never heard about El Mars' cracking. I own a 2013 steel and ti El Mariachi and I love em both. can somebody fill me in on this and point to a thread or both please.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by woodsgroovin View Post
    I've not been on the forum for a good while, maybe a year and a half or so, but I've never heard about El Mars' cracking. I own a 2013 steel and ti El Mariachi and I love em both. can somebody fill me in on this and point to a thread or both please.
    Agreed. I've hammered through many rock gardens fully loaded bikepacking(went down Mr Toads loaded), rode black/double diamonds all day at Northstar and Mammoth bike parks, and my 2013 ElMar dances down the mountain as great as it ever did. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I also have not heard of ElMar's cracking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Agreed. I've hammered through many rock gardens fully loaded bikepacking(went down Mr Toads loaded), rode black/double diamonds all day at Northstar and Mammoth bike parks, and my steel 2013 ElMar dances down the mountain as great as it ever did. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I also have not heard of ElMar's cracking.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Sorry, not digging tapatalk..

mtbr member
    Sorry, not digging tapatalk..

Oh, the irony. That's awesome.

Merendon Junkie
    +1

The hayduke clicks all the boxes except for the press fit bb. Bummed that they killed the El Mariachi.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by abelfonseca View Post
    +1

The hayduke clicks all the boxes except for the press fit bb. Bummed that they killed the El Mariachi.
    me too on the HD, and the El Mar. it's a dying breed. the Karate Monkey and Kona unit are now B+ trail bikes, and the El Mar is dead. they are getting harder and harder to come by.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Just the push I need for custom steel.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Sadly, I was the proud owner of a 2015 dark blue el Mariachi. It started life as a 2 x 10, and ended up as a single speed. It ran regular 29ers and 27.5+ like a dream. Then the frame cracked at the end of the chain stay nearest to the bottom bracket. Yes... I rode it hard. :-)

This was just before the new models (Timberjack and company) were announced. Salsa did not have any el Mariachi frames for warranty replacement, but they paid $475, which I translated into a Santa Cruz Highball. Salsa tried to get me to put the credit towards a different Salsa frame, but nothing interested me at the time. I love the Highball, but still miss the el Mariachi at times.

So, basically, Salsa paid me to switch to Santa Cruz. Crazy...

Wanna ride bikes?
    it's funny, this just happened to me twice in the last month. i broke two frames. a 2011 Kona Unit, and a 2011 Jamis Dragon Race. neither of which are available. the current Kona frame doesn't interest me anyway, and the Dragon is now a 27.5. it sucks.

it seems the only way to get a steel XC SS 29er frame is boutique brands or custom.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Guess I should chech my 13 El Mar for cracks. Rode the pee out of it loaded, smash and bash method through the chunk. No cracks so far, but I'll be checking again, now.

Professional Nerd
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    it seems the only way to get a steel XC SS 29er frame is boutique brands or custom.
    That's completely unbelievable to me, as there used to be many. Where did the riders of those bikes go? Jump to 27.5"? Jump to aluminum or carbon?

I have a detached garage, but my El Mar stays in the basement. If it gets stolen (lost my Surly that way), there's literally no replacement bike of a similar style available. That sucks!

Dan

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
    That's completely unbelievable to me, as there used to be many. Where did the riders of those bikes go? Jump to 27.5"? Jump to aluminum or carbon?
    Dan
    i think too many people drank the kool-aid. i hope we see it return in another year or two. to me it's such an obvious formula. one way or another i'll always have one in my lineup.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I am selling my 2014 El Mariachi Ti if anyone is still looking to find one. I am headed back to full suspension.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Pride View Post
    I am selling my 2014 El Mariachi Ti if anyone is still looking to find one. I am headed back to full suspension.
    size? where are you?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    It is a size Large and I am in Michigan.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Just found several cracks (chainstays, seat tube) on my 2013 El Mariachi (the black and green one). Pretty bummed since I love it, and even more bummed because the replacement is probably a Timberjack...

Professional Nerd
    Able to post some pics? That's a bummer for sure.

Dan

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Is it normal for bikes to crack this soon? Seems like there have been lots of stories of El Mars cracking lately

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    All these talks of cracks have me looking at my frame...ridden the piss outta it for years (2012, Jungle Green ). Wonder when they tightened up that chainstay if that's when the cracking issues started?

Either way, love the bike and find it terribly sad to see the steel 29 mtb scene declining. The aluminum 27.5+ seems like a fad to me. Too bad. Maybe a Karate Monkey or something Ti when the time comes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I'll be listing a Large 2015 in green in a couple days...

Members who have read this thread: 6