the new, taiwanese, salsa a la carte? good?- Mtbr.com
    artistic...

the new, taiwanese, salsa a la carte? good?

the new price fits me right now but i don't know if it's as sweet as it once was.. any input from you, classic connoisseurs?
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1
    the new price fits me right now but i don't know if it's as sweet as it once was.. any input from you, classic connoisseurs?
    as an owner of an '85 ala carte, I'd say, that the new frame will every bit as nice of a riding bike as the old one. Probably more so because of the super quality of the Reynolds 853 tubing. I don't even know what tubing was used in mine - don't really care either because at the time most builders used what ever they could get their hands on and emphasized the overall fit and ride of the frame rather than what it was made of.

If the price is right and the geometry works for you, go for it!

One more note that I gathered from your subject line - Taiwanese made. If that is an issue for you, I'd say you have nothing to worry about. I know the frame factory that QBP uses for their steel frames and they can make a darn nice frame. Very good welders and most important they understand what makes a good frame.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I had that same exact question since I have always liked the Ala Carte's geometry and am in the market for a steel hardtail.

I have been looking for one built by Gunnar/Waterford from the last few years of it production in the US but they are hard to come by.

There is a shop online (Airbomb.com) that is selling the Taiwanese version for just under $500.00, most places I have seen are listing them for about $100 more, so that may sway you to get one. Good luck in your decision and if you do decide to buy one please let us know what you think about it as I am still considering one and if there is anyone out there reading this who knows of a 19.5" or 21" Ala Carte frame circa 1997-2003 for sale please contact me via private message.

Illuminati

We the people ...

I'll have to try & find the source, but I seem to remeber that the newest salsa steels are now made in the US again. will look into it further!

ta

scant

Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1
    It's a nice riding bike, sure. But for slightly nolger money and a bit more wait, you can get a custom steel hardtail for under a grand. Check:

Curtlo
    Tom Teesdale
    Bernie Mikkelssen (sp?)

And you'll be keeping the affordable custom bike alive, which is no bad thing. Yeah, I'm counting pennys for my Rivendell, but my NEXT bike will be a custom steel hardtail, able to run geared or SS, with a steel fork (and probably a squishy one, too).

I'll take that over any Taiwanese factory bike. Note that one shouldn't read that as an indictment of Taiwanese bikes. It is to the credit of the Japanese and Taiwanese that you really can't buy a <b>bad</b> in a bike shop anymore. There was a time when that wasn't true. It's just someting that has been mattering more to me lately.

--Shannon

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by tube_ee
    It's a nice riding bike, sure. But for slightly nolger money and a bit more wait, you can get a custom steel hardtail for under a grand. Check:

Curtlo
    Tom Teesdale
    Bernie Mikkelssen (sp?)

And you'll be keeping the affordable custom bike alive, which is no bad thing. Yeah, I'm counting pennys for my Rivendell, but my NEXT bike will be a custom steel hardtail, able to run geared or SS, with a steel fork (and probably a squishy one, too).

I'll take that over any Taiwanese factory bike. Note that one shouldn't read that as an indictment of Taiwanese bikes. It is to the credit of the Japanese and Taiwanese that you really can't buy a <b>bad</b> in a bike shop anymore. There was a time when that wasn't true. It's just someting that has been mattering more to me lately.

--Shannon
    my mikkelsen. bought from a shop in nyc, park city bicycles(?) and i sense i was ripped off. frame had 130mm spacing and the owner told me it wss susp. corrected , new etc.. paid $700. that was 1996. i fell in love w/ the craftmanship and the d+d painting. it's tall but short in top tube when i'm long in torso and short in the legs.even being wrong in fit, it rides so well, i could finnaly drop steep, nasty slippery switchbacks. it has a tall bb, almost 13in, and 17.25cs. fork is a specialized dbutted.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.