New Spearfish- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 83 of 83

Thread: New Spearfish

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    74

    New Spearfish

    I know it exists, we just don't know anything about it!

    Rumors/Release dates anyone?

    I'm ready for a new rig and I think this thing is going to fall into the style of bike I'm looking for. So, waiting patiently!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    605
    How do you know this?

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by pOrk View Post
    How do you know this?
    Saddle drive rumors thread has some info, also a dealer said he had ďseen a frameĒ but couldnít share anything else.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Vto2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    514
    I keep hearing rumors of spring 2019?

    Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    74
    That may be it. I had heard mid-Sept., but I guess we got the new road bikes instead. *sads*

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    605
    I think I can wait it out. I hope they spec it with 120mm front.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Vto2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    514
    I was planning to buy a Cannondale scalpel with the new lefty, saw two of them in person and they just look amazing, but I will be waiting for the spearfish

    Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    605
    I cant help but wonder how didferent this will be from the deadwood or not. 91/120 and its a pig. Pull the dropper change out fork for a sid and swap on some 25-27 id rims, and viola, spearfish, except closer to 28lbs than thr magic 25.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    74
    Fingers crossed for a total redesign. Because yes, ALL their current bikes are alienating the racerboi/weight weenie crowd. That may be fine with Salsa, but I feel like they built their reputation in the endurance XC scene with the spearfish and el mar. Surely with the recent surge in popularity of XC marathon and backcountry events, a well-done redesign of both bikes would be a hit.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by pOrk View Post
    I cant help but wonder how didferent this will be from the deadwood or not. 91/120 and its a pig. 25.
    pOrk don't ride a pig?

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    605
    Quote Originally Posted by the_riddler View Post
    Fingers crossed for a total redesign. Because yes, ALL their current bikes are alienating the racerboi/weight weenie crowd. That may be fine with Salsa, but I feel like they built their reputation in the endurance XC scene with the spearfish and el mar. Surely with the recent surge in popularity of XC marathon and backcountry events, a well-done redesign of both bikes would be a hit.
    I agree. Ive never had super light bikes, but i did buy my beargrease and bucksaw because they were light for their class. Im currently into endurance/marathon evemts and definitely love the split pivot, so heres to hoping salsa puts a light bike forward for its endurance class. They do classify the deadwood as endurance racing, but 31 lbs is rough.

    And yea, im a pig, so i need all the help I can get.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9
    Itís coming for sure and itís unfortunately going to be heavy. Which makes me upset because I loved my spearfish. Had that set up amazing at just under 22 pounds and it was a ripper!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    605
    Quote Originally Posted by KC29er View Post
    Itís coming for sure and itís unfortunately going to be heavy. Which makes me upset because I loved my spearfish. Had that set up amazing at just under 22 pounds and it was a ripper!

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9
    Boo all you want. Itís true. Your going to be looking at a 6-7 pound carbon 100mm frame. So any serious weight weenie build on this thing WITHOUT a dropper itís going to 24-25 pounds and thatís with thinwall XC tires. It will probably be a great bike to ride but not to race. Not for this guy anyways

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    605
    Quote Originally Posted by KC29er View Post
    Boo all you want. Itís true. Your going to be looking at a 6-7 pound carbon 100mm frame. So any serious weight weenie build on this thing WITHOUT a dropper itís going to 24-25 pounds and thatís with thinwall XC tires. It will probably be a great bike to ride but not to race. Not for this guy anyways
    You brought the bad news; you get the boos. My bucksaw with a SID and 29ers is 26 lbs... so a 27-28 spearfish gx build is a waste. Looks like a giant anthem is back in the running.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9
    Yea I have been very excited anticipating a lightweight revised xc bike from these guys and I think the ship has sailed

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    74
    Shame. Maybe I'll go start an El Mar thread now, because we can't be dissappointed with a heavy steel bike.

  18. #18
    EXORCIZE
    Reputation: Ryder1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,182
    Quote Originally Posted by KC29er View Post
    Your going to be looking at a 6-7 pound carbon 100mm frame.
    It's hard to imagine Salsa green-lighting such a bike. Will they call it the Spearwhale? This bike replaced the Dos Niner which was what, 4 pounds?

  19. #19
    ejj
    ejj is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    473
    I cant see Salsa coming out with a new bike that is trying to compete with a Spark... or the many other light FS frames. If you want a 22lb FS bike, there are options.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    60
    Any more chatter on this? I have been hearing the bike will be more on the light end then the heavy end leading on this thread. Any one else hearing that?

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Vto2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    514
    Quote Originally Posted by SSsteel4life View Post
    Any more chatter on this? I have been hearing the bike will be more on the light end then the heavy end leading on this thread. Any one else hearing that?
    Nothing yet brother, waiting to see if anything comes from frost bike and any chatter comes out of that. Waiting around just like you man.

    Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Larsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    285
    Heard from a great source (Salsa Dealer) that they rode the new Spearfish back in August when the new Beargrease was released. He said he loved it but tight lipped about it otherwise. I would guess they are ready to ship at QBP and will be released at Frostbike

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    4
    I'm in the market for a new bike and love my spearfish. I called Salsa and the most I could get out of the guy was "if you like your current bike, I'd wait a little bit before buying a new one." This was a few weeks ago. I also was told by a dealer that a 120mm and 130mm bike are coming. No dates. You'd have to assume Frostbike at the end of the month though.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    7
    Iím curious to see what everyone else thinks when this info becomes public. I am looking for a full suspension mountain bike for the types of trails we have in Michigan with an eye towards Marji. I just spent way too much money on a gravel wheel set and was looking at the mid level version of the new Spearfish in aluminum. I am one of the worlds worst mountain bikers so carbon isnít as important to me since I crash all the time anyways. Unfortunately I am still new to mountain biking so the specs went in and out of my head, but it seemed fair for the component level offered and the price, although maybe a little on the high side as is typical for a Salsa FS mountain bike. I was told the info will be released in a couple of weeks. Sorry I canít give you anymore info, but it is coming and it is coming soon.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Vto2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    514
    Quote Originally Posted by Toefuzz View Post
    Iím curious to see what everyone else thinks when this info becomes public. I am looking for a full suspension mountain bike for the types of trails we have in Michigan with an eye towards Marji. I just spent way too much money on a gravel wheel set and was looking at the mid level version of the new Spearfish in aluminum. I am one of the worlds worst mountain bikers so carbon isnít as important to me since I crash all the time anyways. Unfortunately I am still new to mountain biking so the specs went in and out of my head, but it seemed fair for the component level offered and the price, although maybe a little on the high side as is typical for a Salsa FS mountain bike. I was told the info will be released in a couple of weeks. Sorry I canít give you anymore info, but it is coming and it is coming soon.
    Niiiiiiiiice, I almost asked if you had looked in to the AL deadwood or PonyRustler depending on your travel preferences and trails, but seems like you got the info, so now I'm excited and looking forward to the release of this bike.

    Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    7
    I had actually started out looking at a 2018 demo model Deadwood as my local shop had some of the high end carbon models on sale for $2500-$2750 instead of the normal $5k. Unfortunately they didnít have any in my size. I read a review of the Deadwood that said itís a great bike for people who want to stay on the ground and just roll over things and who canít pick a line... which describes me perfectly. From there I started looking at the Cannondale offerings (I like the Bad Habit with 27.5+ tires but heard foot strike can be a huge problem) and even the ďlow endĒ Pivot... so as you can see, Iím all over the place. I donít know much about mountain biking and have been blown away by how complicated it is compared to buying my gravel bike. Iíve come to the conclusion that I need a trail or XC bike for around here. 100-120 travel in the front should be more than sufficient. From what I saw the Spearfish is going to be Salsaís version of an XC bike, although Iím still confused by all the different terminology so take anything I say with a grain of salt.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Vto2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    514
    Quote Originally Posted by Toefuzz View Post
    I had actually started out looking at a 2018 demo model Deadwood as my local shop had some of the high end carbon models on sale for $2500-$2750 instead of the normal $5k. Unfortunately they didnít have any in my size. I read a review of the Deadwood that said itís a great bike for people who want to stay on the ground and just roll over things and who canít pick a line... which describes me perfectly. From there I started looking at the Cannondale offerings (I like the Bad Habit with 27.5+ tires but heard foot strike can be a huge problem) and even the ďlow endĒ Pivot... so as you can see, Iím all over the place. I donít know much about mountain biking and have been blown away by how complicated it is compared to buying my gravel bike. Iíve come to the conclusion that I need a trail or XC bike for around here. 100-120 travel in the front should be more than sufficient. From what I saw the Spearfish is going to be Salsaís version of an XC bike, although Iím still confused by all the different terminology so take anything I say with a grain of salt.
    Haha that shop does have a lot of demos from what I have seen, at least that sounds like the shop you're describing. I think for west MI 100-120 is perfect, especially for what you're describing to do. Sucks that one of those deadwood bikes didn't work for you, last time I was there I saw an Orange deadwood and a yellowish one too. They seemed to have a few flavors, but demo stuff sells quick. If I hear anything further kn the spearfish, I'll do my best to give an update without saying more than I'm allowed

    Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    7
    Thatís pretty funny... didnít want to name a shop as I know the info isnít public... although I will say the shop I went to had an Orange Deadwood in a small and a Yellow in large! They needed to place their order earlier this week for the Spearfish and I had them put me down for a medium in the ďhigherĒ end alloy with the understanding that I will be grabbing that or one of the ďinexpensiveĒ Pivots (no thereís an oxymoron). My only concern with the Pivot is that itís like giving my 16 year old son a Subaru WRX STI... heís probably only going to get half the performance out of the machine that itís capable of and might kill himself in the process... I also equate it to the dentists us triathletes make fun of who roll up on a $10k Cervelo and then finish their Ironman in 16 hours.

    If Iím honest with myself the Spearfish does pretty much everything I need it to do and could handle Marji... but Iíve beem given free reign to purchase whatever bike I want since itís for my 40th... just having a hard time justifying the more expensive models.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Vto2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    514
    Quote Originally Posted by Toefuzz View Post
    Thatís pretty funny... didnít want to name a shop as I know the info isnít public... although I will say the shop I went to had an Orange Deadwood in a small and a Yellow in large! They needed to place their order earlier this week for the Spearfish and I had them put me down for a medium in the ďhigherĒ end alloy with the understanding that I will be grabbing that or one of the ďinexpensiveĒ Pivots (no thereís an oxymoron). My only concern with the Pivot is that itís like giving my 16 year old son a Subaru WRX STI... heís probably only going to get half the performance out of the machine that itís capable of and might kill himself in the process... I also equate it to the dentists us triathletes make fun of who roll up on a $10k Cervelo and then finish their Ironman in 16 hours.

    If Iím honest with myself the Spearfish does pretty much everything I need it to do and could handle Marji... but Iíve beem given free reign to purchase whatever bike I want since itís for my 40th... just having a hard time justifying the more expensive models.
    What shop name?

    Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    74
    Superboost. 2 bottle cages.

  31. #31
    Rod
    Rod is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,386
    Did someone say 2 cages... it's been done before on a spearfish

    New Spearfish-2-cages.jpg

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Vto2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    514
    According to a post from salsa March 1st is the big day.

    Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    94
    I saw one being built at my LBS last weekend. It is going to be a sweet bike, but according to them $$$. 120F/100R, 2 bottles in the frame, top tube bag, internal dropper, threaded BB, 27.5+/29" compatible. Just what I am looking for but it sounded like the NX version would be about $1k over my budget, also the frame was heavy.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    605
    Quote Originally Posted by spartan_msu View Post
    I saw one being built at my LBS last weekend. It is going to be a sweet bike, but according to them $$$. 120F/100R, 2 bottles in the frame, top tube bag, internal dropper, threaded BB, 27.5+/29" compatible. Just what I am looking for but it sounded like the NX version would be about $1k over my budget, also the frame was heavy.
    I may have one this weekend. Whatever the base nx is.

  35. #35
    EXORCIZE
    Reputation: Ryder1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,182
    Quote Originally Posted by spartan_msu View Post
    It is going to be a sweet bike, but according to them $$$. 120F/100R, 2 bottles in the frame, top tube bag, internal dropper, threaded BB, 27.5+/29" compatible. Just what I am looking for but it sounded like the NX version would be about $1k over my budget, also the frame was heavy.
    Weak, heavy, expensive. Pick two.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hudnut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    502
    how strange. salsa site only shows deadwood and redpoint as only suspension bikes available. nothing else (sarcasm)

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    605
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudnut View Post
    how strange. salsa site only shows deadwood and redpoint as only suspension bikes available. nothing else (sarcasm)
    Ive been camping out on IG and their homepage. Its 10:35 est... not a good look after all this build up.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Vto2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    514
    Quote Originally Posted by pOrk View Post
    Ive been camping out on IG and their homepage. Its 10:35 est... not a good look after all this build up.
    Glad to see I'm not the only one stalking IG

    Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    605
    I did find a picture of the new nx woth #salsaspearfish from velorution. They beat salsas launch.... which is NOW official

    https://salsacycles.com/culture/new_...bikes_for_2019

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Vto2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    514
    I need this in my life

    Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    94
    The bikes look nice, good geo, and I like some of the features. But, I am not a fan of the price, weight or superboost. I will be looking elsewhere for a replacement for my current carbon spearfish.

  42. #42
    ejj
    ejj is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    473
    OK--Bikes are live. Now the price question: Where does Salsa fit in with other bike manufacturers? A (mostly) Carbon GX bike for $5200 puts them Toe-to-Toe with other premium builders like Ibis or Santa Cruz. (Actually a bit more than last year's GX bikes from those makers.) Do consumers see the value here? What is their unique selling point? I'm not pro/anti Salsa, just curious what thoughts are... (?)

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    605
    Quote Originally Posted by spartan_msu View Post
    The bikes look nice, good geo, and I like some of the features. But, I am not a fan of the price, weight or superboost. I will be looking elsewhere for a replacement for my current carbon spearfish.
    For that price... the weight is off for 5199. Carbon S SC Blur costs 4400 and weighs 25. No droper being the main difference fox32 and SID are clise weight wise... ~200grams. Maybe im missing something here? Well we were warned above.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    605
    Quote Originally Posted by ejj View Post
    OK--Bikes are live. Now the price question: Where does Salsa fit in with other bike manufacturers? A (mostly) Carbon GX bike for $5200 puts them Toe-to-Toe with other premium builders like Ibis or Santa Cruz. (Actually a bit more than last year's GX bikes from those makers.) Do consumers see the value here? What is their unique selling point? I'm not pro/anti Salsa, just curious what thoughts are... (?)
    Rustler and horsethief look to be good setups. Like the colors. Salsa always starts high but ultimately deals happen at rnd of year and makes them great values. Spearfish is a pig... for 100/120. id buy a brand new 16 roght now if i could find one.

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    79
    Is anyone finding weights for the various builds? I'm not seeing them on the website...
    2013 Salsa Horsethief 2 (ironically, bike was stolen)
    2015 Salsa Beargrease 2
    2018 Yeti SB4.5

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    94
    It is at the bottom of the "Build Kit" page for each model. The top of the line $5200 GX eagle is listed at 28.5 lbs for a Med., that is crazy. 6.5 lb, 100mm carbon frame???

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Vto2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    514
    Quote Originally Posted by spartan_msu View Post
    It is at the bottom of the "Build Kit" page for each model. The top of the line $5200 GX eagle is listed at 28.5 lbs for a Med., that is crazy. 6.5 lb, 100mm carbon frame???
    It is crazy, I think the front is carbon and the rear is alluminium.

    Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

  48. #48
    ejj
    ejj is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    473
    Quote Originally Posted by Vto2.0 View Post
    It is crazy, I think the front is carbon and the rear is alluminium.

    Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    Carbon Seat stays, AL chain stays.

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by spartan_msu View Post
    It is at the bottom of the "Build Kit" page for each model. The top of the line $5200 GX eagle is listed at 28.5 lbs for a Med., that is crazy. 6.5 lb, 100mm carbon frame???
    Thank you! Top of line Horsethief is 30 lb 9 oz. in medium.
    2013 Salsa Horsethief 2 (ironically, bike was stolen)
    2015 Salsa Beargrease 2
    2018 Yeti SB4.5

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Vto2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    514
    Quote Originally Posted by ejj View Post
    Carbon Seat stays, AL chain stays.
    Exactly, thank you for clearing that up, I'm not the smartest crayon in the cookie jar

    Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    605
    I think theres too mich overlap woth the HT. Weigh about the same and the HT is 120/140 but can also run a 120 front. A 120/120 29 HT seems like a better option for endurance when put next to the ďdowncountryĒ Spearfish at roughly the same weight.

  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by ejj View Post
    OK--Bikes are live. Now the price question: Where does Salsa fit in with other bike manufacturers? A (mostly) Carbon GX bike for $5200 puts them Toe-to-Toe with other premium builders like Ibis or Santa Cruz. (Actually a bit more than last year's GX bikes from those makers.) Do consumers see the value here? What is their unique selling point? I'm not pro/anti Salsa, just curious what thoughts are... (?)
    This was something that jumped out to me as well. I had a warranty claim on an old spearfish and had an opportunity to wait for these new bikes (without knowing any details) or use the money for another brand that my LBS sold. This was last fall, so I went for the SC Hightower to squeeze in some riding before the season was over. Comparing that to the horsethief, my NX build is $200 cheaper with an almost identical build kit. I like the Salsa brand and have a soft spot for them since I loved my spearfish, but it's going to be hard competing with Santa Cruz, Ibis, Yeti, Pivot, etc. in this category. One thing I will add is they offer much lower builds so you can get into one at just over $2K which is not a possibility in those other "boutique" brands. Another draw for these bikes may be they offer a "Modern Light" take on geometry. Not everyone wants a bike with a 1300mm wheelbase and 64 degree head angle that's a pig to handle on anything other than butt puckering descents.

  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    237
    $4200 for a bike with NX Eagle. Whew!

  54. #54
    Downcountry AF
    Reputation: *OneSpeed*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    6,155
    I like the geo for the most part (Spearfish and HT), I like the tire clearance, I'm 50/50 on the Super Boost, and I definitely don't care for either of the carbon build kits, especially at that price. (to be fair I almost never agree with complete bike build kits and build my bikes from the frame up)

    So long as the geometry is right (it is), and the frameset only is available, I'll build it the way I want and ultimately be happier so I'm fine with it.

    I dig it, I'd love to throw a leg over one but no chance of that happening locally...
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

    Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

  55. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,716
    When I saw the frame weight for the Spearfish, I wondered if the crankset weight was included with it.

  56. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    2
    After seeing this release, I am very happy with my 2017 Horsethief purchase. I don't feel like I am losing out on anything compared to this new design. I was wanting a more XC type full suspension bike but I don't think the new spearfish offers any advantages over my Horsethief or the new Horsethief (which is a let down as well). Perhaps I am being too judgmental without having ridden it yet. But the $3000 builds aren't sparking my interest.

  57. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    128
    I just picked up a nearly new Ď18 Deadwood frame and plan to build it up soon. I was kinda bummed I didnít hold out for the Spearfish until I saw yesterday that retail pricing is 3k for the frame. Thatís darn near SB100 money! Iíve got about 1/3 of that into this Deadwood... weíll see how it turns out.

    I saw the $4100 NX build at my LBS last this week. Cool bike, but for darn near $4500 out the door there are better options IMHO.

  58. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,532
    Well they checked all the boxes for a bike released in 2019. Super Boost, tire clearances etc....but I look at the price for the fame and crank option and I wonder how that competes with what is already out there. Salsa let the full sus options kind of languish so they certainly need to knock this one out of the park to regain some of that. Eager to see long term reviews.

  59. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    605
    Gotta say the Horsethief carbon NX is calling my name.

    Spearfish isnt gonna move any needles over my x01 Bucksaw w/29ers and SID.

    Its hard to justify the cost with the Fuel EX 8 29 coming in roughly 700 less and better drivetrain (gx vs nx). But alu vs carbon frame being the big difference.

    So thats where Im at right now.

  60. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation: newking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    599
    Does seem a bit heavy and expensive. I recall some of the carbon Spearfishes were in the 23 lb range?

    I used to have a Dos Niner back in 2010 - nice bike that I rode that a few years and ended up on 2016 Trek Top Fuel.

    The 120/100 or 100/100 XC bike space has some good, new bikes to offer from the Intense Sniper / Canyon Lux / Orbea Oiz / Santa Cruz Blur and trek top Fuel. Not sure this bike makes it into the winners circle.

  61. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by pOrk View Post
    Gotta say the Horsethief carbon NX is calling my name.

    Spearfish isnt gonna move any needles over my x01 Bucksaw w/29ers and SID.

    Its hard to justify the cost with the Fuel EX 8 29 coming in roughly 700 less and better drivetrain (gx vs nx). But alu vs carbon frame being the big difference.

    So thats where Im at right now.
    It looks dead sexy and Iíd love another Horsethief to replace the one I used to ride.

    But itís 31 lbs 5 oz. in NX trim. In a size medium. I ride an XL. Probably a $4200 34-35 lb. bike.

    I canít justify that, even thought it looks good.
    2013 Salsa Horsethief 2 (ironically, bike was stolen)
    2015 Salsa Beargrease 2
    2018 Yeti SB4.5

  62. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    605
    Quote Originally Posted by thecreeper23 View Post
    It looks dead sexy and Iíd love another Horsethief to replace the one I used to ride.

    But itís 31 lbs 5 oz. in NX trim. In a size medium. I ride an XL. Probably a $4200 34-35 lb. bike.

    I canít justify that, even thought it looks good.
    Yeah Im on a large. Im really in search of a 120/120 kind of bike since I already have a 100/100. My budget is about 3500. Im thinking a tallboy c r for 3800 is a better deal and a bike i can ride for 50mi/100mi events. vs the horsethief. I keep coming back to this HT/SF thread because I secretly really want one anyway even if its overpriced. but I dont see myself racing this HT 50mi events

  63. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by kdiddy View Post
    When I saw the frame weight for the Spearfish, I wondered if the crankset weight was included with it.
    I called up Salsa, the person I talked to said they were actually still trying to verify if the weight included the Cranks. Hopefully they will know soon. The weight for sure does include the headset,shock and the axle. If we find out the weight does include the cranks, that would not be to bad. Means frame/shock would probably be around 5.5 lbs. Fingers crossed!

  64. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    27
    Any idea what the alu frame is retail? $1500 or $2000

  65. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,257
    Quote Originally Posted by pOrk View Post
    Yeah Im on a large. Im really in search of a 120/120 kind of bike since I already have a 100/100. My budget is about 3500. Im thinking a tallboy c r for 3800 is a better deal and a bike i can ride for 50mi/100mi events. vs the horsethief. I keep coming back to this HT/SF thread because I secretly really want one anyway even if its overpriced. but I dont see myself racing this HT 50mi events
    Agreed with this. I currently ride a 34lb enduro sled (Banshee Prime) that is just a monster of a bike. A Spearfish/Horsethief, orrrrrrrr like you said a Tallyboy/Hightower (once the new bikes are released this year) all would fit my endurance riding/bikepacking boxes. Since Santa Cruz markets the Chameleon to bikepackers, I am hoping the Tallboy or HT refresh includes some bikepacking features....

    The weights are something else. I want to see Salsa succeed, but your top XC bike tipping 28lbs ain't going to get you there these days. For one comparison, the 120/100 Santa Cruz Blurs are coming in under 24lbs and as has been stated earlier, at similar or even better prices.

  66. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    168
    I'm all for the idea of a downcountry bike with 2 bottles in the frame, but sharing the frame with the Horsethief just makes this too heavy for the price vs the competition.

    My LBS talked me into waiting to check out the new Spearfish at the end of last year. I'm glad I waited since this winter has been super wet here in CO and I wouldn't be riding an XC bike anyway, but this new Spearfish hasn't swayed me away from my current #1 pick in this category, the Orbea Oiz M10-TR: https://www.orbea.com/us-en/bicycles...z-29-m10-tr-19

    The Oiz is slightly more expensive, but better spec, lighter, and offers 120 front and rear travel.

    For context, I currently ride a 2015 Horsethief carbon 1 that I have down to about 28lbs with a standard post. The new HT has more travel than mine, but if I swapped to the new Spearfish I'd be at the same weight with less travel but gaining a dropper and a second bottle cage. I could live with that trade off, but it's not worth a $5200 upgrade to me.

  67. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    79
    I love Salsa bikes and I've been waiting to make a decision until the new Horsethief came out. Looking at the weight and build spec, I went ahead and ordered a 2018 Yeti SB4.5c from competetive cyclist instead.

    Looks fantastic, but it's too heavy and too expensive for what you get.
    2013 Salsa Horsethief 2 (ironically, bike was stolen)
    2015 Salsa Beargrease 2
    2018 Yeti SB4.5

  68. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Vto2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    514
    Quote Originally Posted by Toefuzz View Post
    Iím curious to see what everyone else thinks when this info becomes public. I am looking for a full suspension mountain bike for the types of trails we have in Michigan with an eye towards Marji. I just spent way too much money on a gravel wheel set and was looking at the mid level version of the new Spearfish in aluminum. I am one of the worlds worst mountain bikers so carbon isnít as important to me since I crash all the time anyways. Unfortunately I am still new to mountain biking so the specs went in and out of my head, but it seemed fair for the component level offered and the price, although maybe a little on the high side as is typical for a Salsa FS mountain bike. I was told the info will be released in a couple of weeks. Sorry I canít give you anymore info, but it is coming and it is coming soon.
    How's that Spearfish treating you? Got pics?

    Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

  69. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Vto2.0 View Post
    How's that Spearfish treating you? Got pics?

    Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    After talking to a lot of people more experienced than myself, I decided to go with a hard tail as I wanted to stay in that $2-3k range. It came down to wanting nicer components and not really needing full suspension where I live. I found a Salsa Woodsmoke for over a grand off and pulled the trigger... the Spearfish appeared on the floor a few days later and I was tempted. They sure are pretty. Iíve been told they are a bit heavy compared to similar bikes.

  70. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Vto2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    514
    Quote Originally Posted by Toefuzz View Post
    After talking to a lot of people more experienced than myself, I decided to go with a hard tail as I wanted to stay in that $2-3k range. It came down to wanting nicer components and not really needing full suspension where I live. I found a Salsa Woodsmoke for over a grand off and pulled the trigger... the Spearfish appeared on the floor a few days later and I was tempted. They sure are pretty. Iíve been told they are a bit heavy compared to similar bikes.
    I hear that man and can understand why you went that route. Hopefully the trails will open up soon and you can go tip around if you haven't done so yet. Maybe we will see eachother on the trail

    Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

  71. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    189
    Ordered my new Spearfish yesterday! Getting the NX Carbon version. For me, I was looking for a short travel bike that still gave me the ability to go bikepacking without a super heavy backpack on. I'm coming from hardtails the last ~10 years so finding a FS bike with room for storage in the frame was a MUST. I'm VERY occasionally a racer, so the weight is not that big of a deal to me.

    Other bikes I considered: SC Tallboy, Kona Hei Hei, the new Spot RYVE. And honestly, I could get a better spec on those bikes for what the NX Spearfish costs. The Hei Hei and RYVE are probably a lot lighter too, but two accessible bottle cages and bikepacking friendliness were big selling points for me. Plus my LBS worked with me on the price to make the decision easier.

    Pretty excited to pick up my new ride next week! I'll weigh it up before I make any modifications and post here!

  72. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by msugma View Post
    Ordered my new Spearfish yesterday! Getting the NX Carbon version. For me, I was looking for a short travel bike that still gave me the ability to go bikepacking without a super heavy backpack on. I'm coming from hardtails the last ~10 years so finding a FS bike with room for storage in the frame was a MUST. I'm VERY occasionally a racer, so the weight is not that big of a deal to me.

    Other bikes I considered: SC Tallboy, Kona Hei Hei, the new Spot RYVE. And honestly, I could get a better spec on those bikes for what the NX Spearfish costs. The Hei Hei and RYVE are probably a lot lighter too, but two accessible bottle cages and bikepacking friendliness were big selling points for me. Plus my LBS worked with me on the price to make the decision easier.

    Pretty excited to pick up my new ride next week! I'll weigh it up before I make any modifications and post here!
    Got my new bike today! As promised.... here's the weight. This includes pedals (Crank Bros Candy's) and Tubeless set up. Size Large. 30.6 lb. Ooofta! It'll be going on a gradual diet

  73. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    770
    msugma..pictures when get you the time...thanks

  74. #74
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    189

    Here's one pic

    I have one pic from its inaugural ride, completely stock. Lots of rain last week, but this week is looking good to get out some more! I really like the red paint. Very bright. Almost pink.... but definitely red.New Spearfish-img_20190419_202450.jpg

  75. #75
    EXORCIZE
    Reputation: Ryder1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,182
    Quote Originally Posted by msugma View Post
    I really like the red paint.
    Like most Salsas, I think it looks great. How are you getting on with it?

  76. #76
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,257
    I demo'd the Spearfish yesterday. That thing was a rocket! Stock GX build. Had a shockingly good time on it. The split pivot felt good it took power straight to the rear wheel. I haven't ridden a <135mm bike in several years and it was a good change of pace.

    Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

  77. #77
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryder1 View Post
    Like most Salsas, I think it looks great. How are you getting on with it?
    It's a really fun bike. I think I'm finally getting used to it too. Coming from a hardtail, the bike felt awkward at first. Not unexpected by any means. This is my first experience with a dropper too! Lots going on here! But I've had some really nice rides on it recently, and I'm generally riding faster than on my hardtail..... according to Strava.

    Here's another pic. A couple of changes from the stock build..... Switch to GX Eagle derailleur and GX Eagle grip shift. Had that stuff laying around so why not! Also changed the saddle. It's a pretty solid build out of the box. The wheels are fine, but they'll probably be first MAJOR upgrade once my bike funds regenerate.New Spearfish-spearfish.jpg

  78. #78
    The Original Suspect
    Reputation: HitmenOnlyInc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,319
    Is this a 2019, how long have you had it? I've been checking for 2019 models of the Rustler and not available yet...says coming Spring 2019.

  79. #79
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    123
    I rode the new Spearfish, and it was a real blast. However, $3k for a frame is hard to swallow for an Al rear triangle. Drop the price and I'm in.
    Competitors,
    https://intensecycles.com/collection...rimer-sl-frame
    https://intensecycles.com/collection...rimer-nm-frame
    Full carbon Ripley-V4 frame with Fox Evol $2999.
    Am I wrong?

  80. #80
    change is good
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,829
    Quote Originally Posted by rockinrod35 View Post
    I rode the new Spearfish, and it was a real blast. However, $3k for a frame is hard to swallow for an Al rear triangle. Drop the price and I'm in.
    Competitors,
    https://intensecycles.com/collection...rimer-sl-frame
    https://intensecycles.com/collection...rimer-nm-frame
    Full carbon Ripley-V4 frame with Fox Evol $2999.
    Am I wrong?
    What happened? Salsa used to be so price competitive.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

  81. #81
    101
    101 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    313
    Since I tend to pursue adventurous alpine riding, be it long day rides or multi day trips, I do appreciate the fact that The Spearfish and the Horsetheif offer very ďhealthyĒ amounts of frame space. Probably enough room to carry all of your water, jacket, headlamp, food, tube and tools in a frame bag for a full day. Thatís not a common attribute to find on many F/S Bikes. That being said, youíre right that Salsa doesnít seem to be priced as competitively as they used to be which have them a ďscrappyĒ edge over equivalent competition.

  82. #82
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    123
    I am mistaken about the entire rear tri being Al--According to the below article it is the chainstay only that is Al. Looks that way in the photos...

    https://bikepacking.com/bikes/2019-salsa-horsethief/

  83. #83
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by 101 View Post
    Since I tend to pursue adventurous alpine riding, be it long day rides or multi day trips, I do appreciate the fact that The Spearfish and the Horsetheif offer very ďhealthyĒ amounts of frame space. Probably enough room to carry all of your water, jacket, headlamp, food, tube and tools in a frame bag for a full day. Thatís not a common attribute to find on many F/S Bikes. That being said, youíre right that Salsa doesnít seem to be priced as competitively as they used to be which have them a ďscrappyĒ edge over equivalent competition.
    Agree with this. One of the major selling points for me was the ability to carry two water bottles or a good size frame pack. Long rides and bikepacking are my ideal ways to spend time on a bike. I RARELY race anymore. If I did..... I probably would have bought something other than a Spearfish. And where I ride (southern Michigan) doesn't really justify a bigger travel bike.

Similar Threads

  1. My New Spearfish
    By Bwick84 in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 04-17-2012, 07:51 AM
  2. how to get a new spearfish rearend
    By fast540 in forum Salsa
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-07-2012, 09:54 AM
  3. Spearfish 1 vs. Spearfish 2 frame only
    By Andy13 in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-31-2012, 05:57 PM
  4. 2011 Spearfish vs 2012 Spearfish 2
    By J3SSEB in forum Salsa
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 01-18-2012, 01:16 PM
  5. New 2011 Lrg Spearfish = $1999.20
    By Lucky_Skunk in forum Salsa
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-13-2011, 03:39 PM

Members who have read this thread: 288

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.