Thread: New Spearfish

mtbr member
    Jun 2017

New Spearfish

I know it exists, we just don't know anything about it!

Rumors/Release dates anyone?

I'm ready for a new rig and I think this thing is going to fall into the style of bike I'm looking for. So, waiting patiently!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    How do you know this?

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by pOrk View Post
    How do you know this?
    Saddle drive rumors thread has some info, also a dealer said he had ďseen a frameĒ but couldnít share anything else.

mtbr member
    I keep hearing rumors of spring 2019?

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    That may be it. I had heard mid-Sept., but I guess we got the new road bikes instead. *sads*

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I think I can wait it out. I hope they spec it with 120mm front.

mtbr member
    I was planning to buy a Cannondale scalpel with the new lefty, saw two of them in person and they just look amazing, but I will be waiting for the spearfish

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I cant help but wonder how didferent this will be from the deadwood or not. 91/120 and its a pig. Pull the dropper change out fork for a sid and swap on some 25-27 id rims, and viola, spearfish, except closer to 28lbs than thr magic 25.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Fingers crossed for a total redesign. Because yes, ALL their current bikes are alienating the racerboi/weight weenie crowd. That may be fine with Salsa, but I feel like they built their reputation in the endurance XC scene with the spearfish and el mar. Surely with the recent surge in popularity of XC marathon and backcountry events, a well-done redesign of both bikes would be a hit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by pOrk View Post
    I cant help but wonder how didferent this will be from the deadwood or not. 91/120 and its a pig. 25.
    pOrk don't ride a pig?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by the_riddler View Post
    Fingers crossed for a total redesign. Because yes, ALL their current bikes are alienating the racerboi/weight weenie crowd. That may be fine with Salsa, but I feel like they built their reputation in the endurance XC scene with the spearfish and el mar. Surely with the recent surge in popularity of XC marathon and backcountry events, a well-done redesign of both bikes would be a hit.
    I agree. Ive never had super light bikes, but i did buy my beargrease and bucksaw because they were light for their class. Im currently into endurance/marathon evemts and definitely love the split pivot, so heres to hoping salsa puts a light bike forward for its endurance class. They do classify the deadwood as endurance racing, but 31 lbs is rough.

And yea, im a pig, so i need all the help I can get.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Itís coming for sure and itís unfortunately going to be heavy. Which makes me upset because I loved my spearfish. Had that set up amazing at just under 22 pounds and it was a ripper!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by KC29er View Post
    Itís coming for sure and itís unfortunately going to be heavy. Which makes me upset because I loved my spearfish. Had that set up amazing at just under 22 pounds and it was a ripper!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Boo all you want. Itís true. Your going to be looking at a 6-7 pound carbon 100mm frame. So any serious weight weenie build on this thing WITHOUT a dropper itís going to 24-25 pounds and thatís with thinwall XC tires. It will probably be a great bike to ride but not to race. Not for this guy anyways

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Boo all you want. Itís true. Your going to be looking at a 6-7 pound carbon 100mm frame. So any serious weight weenie build on this thing WITHOUT a dropper itís going to 24-25 pounds and thatís with thinwall XC tires. It will probably be a great bike to ride but not to race. Not for this guy anyways
    You brought the bad news; you get the boos. My bucksaw with a SID and 29ers is 26 lbs... so a 27-28 spearfish gx build is a waste. Looks like a giant anthem is back in the running.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Yea I have been very excited anticipating a lightweight revised xc bike from these guys and I think the ship has sailed

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Shame. Maybe I'll go start an El Mar thread now, because we can't be dissappointed with a heavy steel bike.

EXORCIZE
    Your going to be looking at a 6-7 pound carbon 100mm frame.
    It's hard to imagine Salsa green-lighting such a bike. Will they call it the Spearwhale? This bike replaced the Dos Niner which was what, 4 pounds?
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo
    2016 Pivot 429T
    2011 Kona Unit

ejj
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    I cant see Salsa coming out with a new bike that is trying to compete with a Spark... or the many other light FS frames. If you want a 22lb FS bike, there are options.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Any more chatter on this? I have been hearing the bike will be more on the light end then the heavy end leading on this thread. Any one else hearing that?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SSsteel4life View Post
    Any more chatter on this? I have been hearing the bike will be more on the light end then the heavy end leading on this thread. Any one else hearing that?
    Nothing yet brother, waiting to see if anything comes from frost bike and any chatter comes out of that. Waiting around just like you man.

mtbr member
    Heard from a great source (Salsa Dealer) that they rode the new Spearfish back in August when the new Beargrease was released. He said he loved it but tight lipped about it otherwise. I would guess they are ready to ship at QBP and will be released at Frostbike

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I'm in the market for a new bike and love my spearfish. I called Salsa and the most I could get out of the guy was "if you like your current bike, I'd wait a little bit before buying a new one." This was a few weeks ago. I also was told by a dealer that a 120mm and 130mm bike are coming. No dates. You'd have to assume Frostbike at the end of the month though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Iím curious to see what everyone else thinks when this info becomes public. I am looking for a full suspension mountain bike for the types of trails we have in Michigan with an eye towards Marji. I just spent way too much money on a gravel wheel set and was looking at the mid level version of the new Spearfish in aluminum. I am one of the worlds worst mountain bikers so carbon isnít as important to me since I crash all the time anyways. Unfortunately I am still new to mountain biking so the specs went in and out of my head, but it seemed fair for the component level offered and the price, although maybe a little on the high side as is typical for a Salsa FS mountain bike. I was told the info will be released in a couple of weeks. Sorry I canít give you anymore info, but it is coming and it is coming soon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toefuzz View Post
    Iím curious to see what everyone else thinks when this info becomes public. I am looking for a full suspension mountain bike for the types of trails we have in Michigan with an eye towards Marji. I just spent way too much money on a gravel wheel set and was looking at the mid level version of the new Spearfish in aluminum. I am one of the worlds worst mountain bikers so carbon isnít as important to me since I crash all the time anyways. Unfortunately I am still new to mountain biking so the specs went in and out of my head, but it seemed fair for the component level offered and the price, although maybe a little on the high side as is typical for a Salsa FS mountain bike. I was told the info will be released in a couple of weeks. Sorry I canít give you anymore info, but it is coming and it is coming soon.
    Niiiiiiiiice, I almost asked if you had looked in to the AL deadwood or PonyRustler depending on your travel preferences and trails, but seems like you got the info, so now I'm excited and looking forward to the release of this bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I had actually started out looking at a 2018 demo model Deadwood as my local shop had some of the high end carbon models on sale for $2500-$2750 instead of the normal $5k. Unfortunately they didnít have any in my size. I read a review of the Deadwood that said itís a great bike for people who want to stay on the ground and just roll over things and who canít pick a line... which describes me perfectly. From there I started looking at the Cannondale offerings (I like the Bad Habit with 27.5+ tires but heard foot strike can be a huge problem) and even the ďlow endĒ Pivot... so as you can see, Iím all over the place. I donít know much about mountain biking and have been blown away by how complicated it is compared to buying my gravel bike. Iíve come to the conclusion that I need a trail or XC bike for around here. 100-120 travel in the front should be more than sufficient. From what I saw the Spearfish is going to be Salsaís version of an XC bike, although Iím still confused by all the different terminology so take anything I say with a grain of salt.

mtbr member
    I had actually started out looking at a 2018 demo model Deadwood as my local shop had some of the high end carbon models on sale for $2500-$2750 instead of the normal $5k. Unfortunately they didnít have any in my size. I read a review of the Deadwood that said itís a great bike for people who want to stay on the ground and just roll over things and who canít pick a line... which describes me perfectly. From there I started looking at the Cannondale offerings (I like the Bad Habit with 27.5+ tires but heard foot strike can be a huge problem) and even the ďlow endĒ Pivot... so as you can see, Iím all over the place. I donít know much about mountain biking and have been blown away by how complicated it is compared to buying my gravel bike. Iíve come to the conclusion that I need a trail or XC bike for around here. 100-120 travel in the front should be more than sufficient. From what I saw the Spearfish is going to be Salsaís version of an XC bike, although Iím still confused by all the different terminology so take anything I say with a grain of salt.
    Haha that shop does have a lot of demos from what I have seen, at least that sounds like the shop you're describing. I think for west MI 100-120 is perfect, especially for what you're describing to do. Sucks that one of those deadwood bikes didn't work for you, last time I was there I saw an Orange deadwood and a yellowish one too. They seemed to have a few flavors, but demo stuff sells quick. If I hear anything further kn the spearfish, I'll do my best to give an update without saying more than I'm allowed

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Thatís pretty funny... didnít want to name a shop as I know the info isnít public... although I will say the shop I went to had an Orange Deadwood in a small and a Yellow in large! They needed to place their order earlier this week for the Spearfish and I had them put me down for a medium in the ďhigherĒ end alloy with the understanding that I will be grabbing that or one of the ďinexpensiveĒ Pivots (no thereís an oxymoron). My only concern with the Pivot is that itís like giving my 16 year old son a Subaru WRX STI... heís probably only going to get half the performance out of the machine that itís capable of and might kill himself in the process... I also equate it to the dentists us triathletes make fun of who roll up on a $10k Cervelo and then finish their Ironman in 16 hours.

If Iím honest with myself the Spearfish does pretty much everything I need it to do and could handle Marji... but Iíve beem given free reign to purchase whatever bike I want since itís for my 40th... just having a hard time justifying the more expensive models.

mtbr member
    Thatís pretty funny... didnít want to name a shop as I know the info isnít public... although I will say the shop I went to had an Orange Deadwood in a small and a Yellow in large! They needed to place their order earlier this week for the Spearfish and I had them put me down for a medium in the ďhigherĒ end alloy with the understanding that I will be grabbing that or one of the ďinexpensiveĒ Pivots (no thereís an oxymoron). My only concern with the Pivot is that itís like giving my 16 year old son a Subaru WRX STI... heís probably only going to get half the performance out of the machine that itís capable of and might kill himself in the process... I also equate it to the dentists us triathletes make fun of who roll up on a $10k Cervelo and then finish their Ironman in 16 hours.

If Iím honest with myself the Spearfish does pretty much everything I need it to do and could handle Marji... but Iíve beem given free reign to purchase whatever bike I want since itís for my 40th... just having a hard time justifying the more expensive models.
    What shop name?

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Superboost. 2 bottle cages.

Rod
    mtbr member
    Did someone say 2 cages... it's been done before on a spearfish

New Spearfish-2-cages.jpg
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    According to a post from salsa March 1st is the big day.