New Salsa Logo?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: New Salsa Logo?

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    23

    New Salsa Logo?

    At the end of a promo video Salsa posted on Instagram today they revealed a new logo! I will be devastated if this is real. Does anyone know anything about this?

  2. #2
    Wanna ride bikes?
    Reputation: *OneSpeed*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    6,920
    Quote Originally Posted by helmach21 View Post
    At the end of a promo video Salsa posted on Instagram today they revealed a new logo! I will be devastated if this is real. Does anyone know anything about this?
    I see the same chili pepper, what did I miss? Pics?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

    Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AnotherFolkRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    32

    New Salsa Logo?

    Yup I noticed that too. It's just a different font for Salsa. I prefer the old one too, but are you buying the bike or a sticker? Let the products speak for themselves.

  4. #4
    Wanna ride bikes?
    Reputation: *OneSpeed*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    6,920
    Oh, I didn't take that as a logo change. Agreed the original version is much better. Hopefully it's just in the video and not a permanent change.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

    Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by AnotherFolkRider View Post
    are you buying the bike or a sticker?
    Itís a little bit of both. To some degree Salsa is a lifestyle brand. Letís face it, there is nothing unique about a Salsa that makes it more suitable for ďAdventure by BikeĒ than many competitors. But marketing forges a special bond between product and customer. Part of what I love about the Salsa brand is itís heritage. I clearly remember that name and logo making an impression on me as a kid in the early 90ís. That impression is why I still buy Salsas over similarly equipped competitors. Nostalgia isnít necessarily a good reason to keep an old logo, but the beauty of that logo is it has stood the test of time both from an aesthetic and cultural standpoint. I think it would be a mistake to change it.
    Last edited by helmach21; 02-27-2019 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Typo

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    27
    My favorite moment in Madmen is when Don Draper is asked if advertising really works. His answer, "on some people it does".

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    615
    Quote Originally Posted by helmach21 View Post
    Itís a little bit of both. To some degree Salsa is a lifestyle brand. Letís face it, there is nothing unique about a Salsa that makes it more suitable for ďAdventure by BikeĒ than many competitors. But marketing forges a special bond between product and customer. Part of what I love about the Salsa brand is itís heritage. I clearly remember that name and logo making an impression on me as a kid in the early 90ís. That impression is why I still buy Salsas over similarly equipped competitors. Nostalgia isnít necessarily a good reason to keep an old logo, but the beauty of that logo is it has stood the test of time both from an aesthetic and cultural standpoint. I think it would be a mistake to change it.
    I buy salsa for the colors and split povot.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    23
    Looks like they do in fact have a new logo. At least on the latest bikes. Name:  new salsa logo.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  57.8 KB
    It looks fine but they are kind of throwing heritage to the wind which may be fine with them. On a more positive note...the new colorways are incredible!!!

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    48
    Salsa has been slowly moving away from their heritage for some time. How recently was it you went to their site and saw mostly steel frames? Only six or seven years ago, they were (rightly) bragging that they were the steel holdouts. Now, the fabled El Mariachi is gone (along with others), and three out of 17 models are offered in steel.

    C'est la vie, I guess; I suppose it's inevitable, but I've stopped writing them to ask about the logic behind all the changes. (I had a little correspondence with Mike Riemer, lead marketing dude, who was always very kind and thorough in his responses.) They're a for-profit company, they feel change is essential. I have my 2010, first-gen Vaya, and, if I can help it, I'll never let it go. There were people even when I bought it who said, "You never knew the real Salsa."

    With all that said: if the logo goes, I'm not sure I'll feel much more allegiance to them.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by velophoric View Post
    Salsa has been slowly moving away from their heritage for some time. How recently was it you went to their site and saw mostly steel frames?
    I just took another look at their site and to be fair, it is full of hardtails and rigid bikes, possibly more than any other off road brand. I feel like Fargo is the replacement for El Mariachi, so there is your traditional steel bike with sliders. Also they still have lots of odd/awesome bikes like Cutthroat and Blackborow. So they are doing a good job of sticking to their mission with most of the products.

    I'm not sure I understand their need for "high tech" FS bikes featuring what is essentially a Specialized logo. I'll come out and say it...when it comes to this style of bike, they cannot compete with other brands on the basis of design, technology, or innovation, so who is buying these?

    New Salsa Logo?-logos.jpg

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by velophoric View Post
    Salsa has been slowly moving away from their heritage for some time. How recently was it you went to their site and saw mostly steel frames? Only six or seven years ago, they were (rightly) bragging that they were the steel holdouts. Now, the fabled El Mariachi is gone (along with others), and three out of 17 models are offered in steel.

    With all that said: if the logo goes, I'm not sure I'll feel much more allegiance to them.
    I would much rather have ED coating on their remaining steel frames (like sister companies All-City and Surly) than a new logo........ wtf?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    48
    You make good points, helmach, and I do still stand by Salsa and rock my bike w pride. But I disagree about the Fargo; very glad it's still around, but it was around during the El Mar era, and isn't a classic steel hardtail mtb like the El Mar.

    Not trashing Salsa; still my favorite brand. Just saying: they've changed a lot.

Similar Threads

  1. Salsa Fargo Logo - Custom
    By Bicyclelist in forum Salsa
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-02-2016, 05:02 PM
  2. New Logo Thomson Stem
    By jdw901 in forum Where are the Best Deals?
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-25-2012, 10:26 AM
  3. Thomson X4 stem - New Logo
    By Demo-9 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 08-30-2011, 12:04 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-20-2011, 11:27 PM
  5. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-05-2011, 08:53 AM

Members who have read this thread: 10

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.