New Beargrease and Updated Fat Bikes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New Beargrease and Updated Fat Bikes

The new fat bikes from Salsa have been announced. The Beargrease is brand new. The Mukluk and Blackborrow have been updated. The Beargrease lineup looks especially sharp this year. They've thought of pretty much everything short of suspension. The paint looks to be on point this year.

Beargrease: All New For 2019 | Salsa Cycles
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Can't help but notice the conspicuous absence of the Bucksaw. Would be interested to see it get 27.5-fat compatibility at some point. Or even just some hint that Salsa hasn't abandoned it entirely.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaumaturge View Post
    Can't help but notice the conspicuous absence of the Bucksaw. Would be interested to see it get 27.5-fat compatibility at some point. Or even just some hint that Salsa hasn't abandoned it entirely.
    There doesn't seem to be any sort of suspension on any models they announced. I would not be surprised if the full suspension Bucksaw has been discontinued.
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaumaturge View Post
    Ran into some of the Salsa guys at the Cuyuna Trails in Crosby MN about a month ago. They were riding Deadwoods, Pony Rustlers and what appeared to be a prototype Horsethief (Raw carbon with a very raw machined and welded rear swingarm).

I asked them about Bucksaw and they said it was in-development and no ETA but it is coming back.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Larsey View Post
    I asked them about Bucksaw and they said it was in-development and no ETA but it is coming back.
    Cool! This is the only news I've seen about the Bucksaw lately from any source. Glad to hear it's not dead.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    How is the new beargrease 'new' other than paint?

Wish it would take a 27.5 x 4.5 tire

ejj
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    My guess is that a new FS frame will be released from Salsa in the next year. The HorsePony and Saw will share same basic design.

mtbr member
    The NX build is the best looking Beargrease yet. I LOVE it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rushman3 View Post
    How is the new beargrease 'new' other than paint?

Wish it would take a 27.5 x 4.5 tire
    This is from the website

"So, what’s changed with Beargrease? The short answer is…pretty much everything.

Beargrease moves to a 1x specific drivetrain configuration and a 197mm rear spacing while maintaining its previous Q-factor. “We really manipulated the rear chainstays and seatstays to avoid heel strikes while allowing up to a 26 x 4.6” rear wheel/tire combo,” said Koski."

While Beargrease continues to be spec’d with fast rolling 27.5 x 4” tires, the frame can now also accept up to a 26 x 4.6” tire on 100mm rims.

Up front, three of the 2019 Beargrease models utilize our new Kingpin Fork series, while the fourth Beargrease model switches over to our Bearpaw Carbon fork.

While the Bearpaw Carbon fork continues to offer our Three-Pack mounts and clearance for 26 x 4.8” tires on 100mm rims, the Kingpin Forks bring a whole new level of whoop-ass.

The Kingpin Deluxe fork, featured on the two upper level models, is a full carbon fork packed with the most features yet seen on a fat bike fork:

26 x 5” tire fit on 100mm rims

Dual sets of Three-Pack mounts…that’s right, dual sets of Three-Pack mounts!

Mid-blade mounts for low rider racks/panniers

Internal dynamo wire routing for those upgrading to dynamo hubs
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    Can anybody confirm the BG really "really" cannot fit a 27.5 x 4.5?
    it's a challenge some of us are ultimately worthy of.

mtbr member
    bump

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I demo'd one last week. I think that the currently available 27.5x4.5 tires would fit (they seem to measure around 4.3). It would obviously be a little tighter with a true 4.5 tire. Check out this link: https://bikerumor.com/2017/12/20/tir...up-against-26/

There was quite a bit of clearance in the back end. I have ridden my '16 carbon Beargrease with D5's so as long as you aren't too concerned about having a lot of clearance, I think it would work.

mtbr member
    Took one out for a spin last week. Overall, not impressed. It was the $2900 orange and blue one. Compared to my 2015 Trek Farley 6, it felt slower and was less nimble. While the 27.5 wheelset it came with (Sun Ringle wheels and hubs) felt nice, I am not sure if it was the geo or the 27.5 platform, or a combo of the two, but I did not love riding the bike.

mtbr member
    Yeah I'll give this thread a bump. Just curious if anyone has put anything bigger than 3.8 on their '19 yet? (without switching to a 26" wheel) I'm picking mine up tomorrow and from looking at the frame there's plenty of space. I'm imagining you could maybe even fit a 4.5" in there. I talked to the guys and girls at the shop and they're saying the 3.8's ride great in the snow but i don't know...

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I have seen 27.5 x 4.5 Trek Barbegazi's on a new Beargrease. Owner said it worked well for him in Withrop, WA .

zvg
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Just stuck a 27.5 x 4.5 Cake Eater on a 70mm rim, and it fits, but barely (1/8 - 1/4" of clearance in seatstays) I wouldn't feel great about riding with them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I know the specs say the Beargrease will fit up to a 26x4.6 on 100mm rim. Anybody know if a Lou on an 80mm will fit? Is it a frame clearance or chain clearance issue?

mtbr member
    OK, so I got it and there's a lot of clearance on the seat and chain stays and seat tube. I'm ALMOST convinced you can run a 4.5, on the stock rim. I know the Cake Eater is an aggressive tread but zvg said he had his on a 70mm rim. I was actually looking at the Barbgazi as it's a similar tread to what I usually like to run. We're talking about +/- 18mm here. I'll take some measurements and see. The problem is if I buy a $120 tire and mount it and it doesn't fit it'll be hard to return. I'm reaching out to some locals who might already have that tire and rim combo to test it with. I've thought I was right in the past when trying to put larger tires on my cross bike and got burned so I'm cautious here. In the mean time I'm going to go play with my new bike! It was 28.8#'s tubeless with pedals, super impressed with that!

mtbr member
    OK, so I finally got mine dialed in to where I like it. I got the Deore build but did some switchero-ing to it. I swapped out the cassette for a NX, swapped the derailleur and shifter for a GX and a black KMC chain. All of this for $200 less than their NX build. Then I got a Bikeyoke dropper taking me $200 over. But in the end I like the color of the Deore build better. I'll put it on the scale and see where it came in.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by carthief View Post
    OK, so I got it and there's a lot of clearance on the seat and chain stays and seat tube. I'm ALMOST convinced you can run a 4.5, on the stock rim. I know the Cake Eater is an aggressive tread but zvg said he had his on a 70mm rim. I was actually looking at the Barbgazi as it's a similar tread to what I usually like to run. We're talking about +/- 18mm here. I'll take some measurements and see. The problem is if I buy a $120 tire and mount it and it doesn't fit it'll be hard to return. I'm reaching out to some locals who might already have that tire and rim combo to test it with. I've thought I was right in the past when trying to put larger tires on my cross bike and got burned so I'm cautious here. In the mean time I'm going to go play with my new bike! It was 28.8#'s tubeless with pedals, super impressed with that!
    I have a 4.5 barbegazzi in the back on stock mulefit 80 on medium frame and just fits. It came off a floor trek so it’s been stretched. My buddy has a gnarwal on his large and it has more room than medium. So frame size will help. I’m guessing a 75mm rim will help pull it in a bit too. Fingers crossed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Beargrease and Updated Fat Bikes-3d261f1e-56a5-43de-abe2-d1d7281a22b4.jpg  

New Beargrease and Updated Fat Bikes-9b8afc85-6403-4e3d-b904-76d24838fe7d.jpg  

mtbr member
    Boy that looks tight! Let us know what you think after riding it around a bit!

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by carthief View Post
    Boy that looks tight! Let us know what you think after riding it around a bit!
    It was fine... put some carbon tape on the frame. No rub though. I wouldn’t ride it like this in mud. I’m going to be getting some light bicycle 75mm hoops. That will probable pull it in just enough to make it comfy