Digger
    Jul 2016

More pony rustler frame woes

In may, after 10 months riding, I had to get the seat stay replaced. Fast forward to last week (6 months), and the replacement is cracked, and so is the front triangle at the bottom bracket.

Salsa is sending out a new frame under warranty.

But I'm pretty concerned at this point. I bought this bike with 5 years cycling budget, and I expect it to last that long. However, reading the fine print says that the 5yr warranty only covers the front triangle (not the seatstay, that's only 2 years).

I love this bike. It's perfect for me and my trails. I run both the 27.5+ wheels and 29x2.5 wheels on it.

However, I'm honestly thinking of swapping frames over to another brand that has a better warranty like santa cruz (lifetime) or pivot (10 years), even though I may not like them as much.

So a couple of questions:

1. What's a seat stay cost out of warranty?

2. What can I do to prolong the life of the seat stay/frame so I can make it to 5 years?

3. Anyone else have similar experiences?
    Salsa Pony Rustler X01

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Don't know what Salsa would charge, but guessing in the neighborhood of $150-$200. At least with the DW link the stays are single pieces vs. an entire 1 piece rear triangle. When I had to buy a replacement carbon rear triangle for a past bike (Santa Cruz Blur) I think it cost me $400 or so, and that was with Santa Cruz's crash replacement program which offers a reduced price vs. buying retail.

Besides not riding stupid - think hucking up rock ledges, riding rock gardens beyond your skill level that you'll most likely need to bail on with bike landing on rocks, bikes just need to ridden. For me having to constantly make riding decisions beyond what I just stated would negatively affect the enjoyment of riding.

I'm on my 4th Horsethief/Pony Rustler frame in 3 seasons. Fortunately my local shop that I bought the original bike from has been awesome in managing the warranty claims. Besides dropping off the bike at the shop, I haven't had to do anything - paperwork, calls to Salsa, etc. Thumbs up to Salsa for standing behind their product and honoring the warranty without any funny business. I'm going to stick with my current Pony Rustler one more season, then probably get a new bike even if the current frame is in good condition. By then it will be 4 years on basically the same bike. Manufacturers will have new and improved options to try. I would think Salsa will be updating the HT/PR soon. If so, I will not be ruling them out. Salsa is a solid manufacturer. Not as blingy as the upper tier boutique brands, but I'm after function 1st, glam 2nd.

Digger
    Jul 2016
    I've not been doing any of the stupid stuff. The only thing working against me is rider weight, which is very difficult to manage for me due to my heart issues (I just had heart surgery on Thursday, in fact). I mean, I'm hitting tech stuff (not jumping up ledges) but I only have to bail on the bike like every 6 months, if that.

What seems to be having the greatest toll on the bike has been some rocky technical climbs, but even those aren't that crazy. This last break was up a particular climb where I had just tried out new a 2.5WT aggressor tire (second ride on it), and the grip is insane. Where I would lose momentum and have to put a foot down and walk up previously, I could just lean over, kiss the front tire, and just crank up from a standstill. After that the drivetrain was giving me terrible noises for about 10 more miles before I brought it in to the shop to diagnose, and they found the cracks.

Salsa has so far been great, and so has my shop. In fact, the shop no longer sells salsa bikes, but they still handle the warranty stuff for me. They had a fleet of rental PRs and went through seat stays like crazy, but I also heard that it was Salsa that ended the relationship.

Anyways, with a known issue like this, I just don't understand them not putting the known weak point seat stays under the same warranty as the rest of the frame. If they just put that on the same 5yr warranty, I'd have no problem here.
    Salsa Pony Rustler X01

mtbr member
    Just looked at mine. Cracked BB shell. Seat stays look fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Salsa Timberjack
    2016 Salsa Pony Rustler
    2014 Salsa Fargo
    Chips

Digger
    Jul 2016
    Oprah.jpg

You get a new frame. You get a new frame. Everybody gets a new frame!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtaylor996 View Post
    Oprah.jpg

You get a new frame. You get a new frame. Everybody gets a new frame!
    I looked under my seat but it's not there? Which seat should I be looking under?
    2017 Salsa Timberjack
    2016 Salsa Pony Rustler
    2014 Salsa Fargo
    Chips

Digger
    Jul 2016
    So here's the BB crack:

And you can see a little cracking on the top side as well:
    Salsa Pony Rustler X01

Digger
    Jul 2016
    But hey, I got a new pen holder out of it!

Salsa Pony Rustler X01

Digger
    Jul 2016
    Also, the replacement seat stay was cracked out of the box, so I guess technically I've gone through 4 of them in 18 months now.
    Salsa Pony Rustler X01

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    At least they will stand by their product and warranty it.

More pony rustler frame woes-img_0651.jpgMore pony rustler frame woes-img_0653.jpg
    Last edited by hotsalsa; 04-11-2018 at 10:45 AM.

rth009
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by hotsalsa View Post
    At least they will stand by their product and warranty it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0651.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	1192236Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0653.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	1192239
    is that the PR frame with the Orange on the bottom of the downtube? Or the khaki horsethief GX1 that just has the orange stripe on top tube? I just got the Khaki PR with orange on downtube as a warranty replacement for my black HT X01 and Im hoping to avoid a second cracked frame.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I am on my second PR frame, cracked at the BB shell.

A buddy who also rides a PR is on his second frame with a cracked seat stay.

Like others have said my shop and Salsa have been great about getting warranty frames to us. In my case it was exactly 25hrs from the time I called my shop saying I think I may have a cracked frame, to them handing me my bike back fully built up on a new frame.

My replacement frame with 6 months riding on it has several cracks in the paint around the lower pivot mount like shown in hotsalsa's pics. I have not been too worried about it though, as I am telling myself its just the rigid paint cracking as the frame flexes.

I also really love the way the bike rides and will be bummed if it breaks again. Should that happen I will be looking for a TallBoy. I rented a tallboy, and a 429trail while vacationing in Phoenix over the winter. I loved the way the Tallboy rode, the pivot, not so much.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Any of the folks in this thread had these issues with 2018s? Or just 2017s? Looking at a black carbon slx

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pOrk View Post
    Any of the folks in this thread had these issues with 2018s? Or just 2017s? Looking at a black carbon slx
    Mine was a 16 that cracked. My replacement 17 has been fine. Although I don't believe they changed anything more than paint.

If you are not in a big rush, you may want to wait. Word on the street is all salsa fs bikes have been redesigned and due to be released this spring.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by 9GUY9 View Post
    Mine was a 16 that cracked. My replacement 17 has been fine. Although I don't believe they changed anything more than paint.

If you are not in a big rush, you may want to wait. Word on the street is all salsa fs bikes have been redesigned and due to be released this spring.
    Heard this as well. Although like cars, i like to wait a model year after a new release. Got a line on a 18 carbon slx down the street for 3k. Also considering a second bucksaw, green carbon gx1.