Max Chainring on 2014/2015 El Mariachi Ti w/ X0 GXP Crankset and SRAM Ring- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Max Chainring on 2014/2015 El Mariachi Ti w/ X0 GXP Crankset and SRAM Ring

I'm going to be building up a 2014 El Marichi Ti (same as the 2015 model) soon, putting a SRAM X0 GXP crankset fitted with a direct mount SRAM 1x chainring on it. Per Salsa's specs the maximum ring size for 1x on this frame is 32t, but I imagine this would actually depend on the offset of the ring, specifics of the crankset, etc.

Before I order a chainring, can any of you tell me what size rings you've used for a 1x, what crankset, how it all fits, etc? Pictures would be even better, if you have them.

Thanks for your help!

(My initial calculations showed that, to replace my 39/26 x 11-36 2x10 drivetrain I should get a 34t with an 11-42 cassette. 32t would probably be fine as well, but I'm afraid of losing a bit of top end...)

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I have a Raceface Next direct mount in the flipped position 36 tooth....going to try a 34 in the standard position to get my SS cog nearer to the hub....pretty sure that will fit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I ran a 34t XX1 crank/spider/ring on my '13 steel El Mar with just enough clearance. No close up pictures though.

mtbr member
    On the '14 EM Ti I have an XX1 crankset with direct mount SRAM 32t ring. There's about 1mm clearance to the chainstay

Thankfully I'm weak and never outrun the 32t on this bike...and I'll be selling it so it's a moot point for me
    Overland : Hayduke : Hightower LT : Delirium : Piolet

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sdemars View Post
    On the '14 EM Ti I have an XX1 crankset with direct mount SRAM 32t ring. There's about 1mm clearance to the chainstay

Thankfully I'm weak and never outrun the 32t on this bike...and I'll be selling it so it's a moot point for me
    Wow, thanks. That's good to hear. I've actually for the frame, SRAM ring, and XO crankset here, but haven't put it all together. That definitely sounds tight. Guess I'll be test fitting it all before I do my usual chainstay anti-slap wrap...

mtbr member
    Thanks for the help, everyone. This image here shows the amount of chainring clearance with a SRAM X0 GXP and 6mm offset SRAM-branded direct mount chainring: https://nuxx.net/gallery/v/stuffivem...01908.jpg.html

It's about 3mm... Should be fine, but it's definitely a snug fit. I threw some UHMW PE tape on as protectant, just in case: https://nuxx.net/gallery/v/stuffivem..._8871.jpg.html