Mariachi: All Forked Up- Mtbr.com
    surly inbred

Mariachi: All Forked Up

Looking for some feedback from others running an F29 on the El Mar & what travel, settings, setup scenario you be having.

After 1 1/2 years of rigid Grande, I feel like a rusty wet lawn chair (with a hole in the drink holder) floppin in the breeze with the sussy fork.

Random thoughts by LazyBass:

* 100mm travel is quite a geo change... prolly gotta live with it a bit to get acclimated
    * I can't make a switchback if I wanted.. up or down. She 'flops' mid turn & I snowplow (for lack of better verbage)
    * Small stuff, aka. repetitive roots suck the life outta me... i feel like I'm working twice as hard as the rigid.
    * I can go Ludicrous speed with suspenders... maybe everything is amplified 'til I get accustomed?
    * My 2009(?) fork won't lockout which flags fluid level issues & a service session is en route, which may impact current handling characteristics.

Particulars: 165# nekid, with an affinity for IPA's & long walks on the beach.

I've had a fair sampling of brew this evening so keep in mind that interpretation is 11/10th's of something.

Damm she looks pretty, though...

Untitled by scc4, on Flickr

Birthday Collector
    That fork does look good on the Charcoal colored frame. The biggest thing that I see glaring, if the fork is really in need of service, is to:
    A) Get it serviced, new seals and fluids at proper levels.
    B) Set it up with damping/compression as available, adjusted to approx the "middle" settings, with sag at no more than 25% of travel - maybe less as you are used to a rigid ride.
    C) Spend some time making small adjustments to the damping until you dial it in to the point where you think it feels good to you. If, after a number of weeks, you cannot achieve the "Feel good" setting, put your old rigid fork on the bike and sell the bouncer.

I ride a bit slower with a rigid fork, but the ride is always enjoyable. It makes me pick my lines more carefully, and helps keep me from bombing down stuff that might smash my old bones if I were to get off at higher speeds. You have to make the call on where you are in that timeline though! Cow-hoofed and horse-hoofed "post hole" trails can be a bit of a drag on a rigid bike, but fat tires and low pressure almost work as well as suspension on some of that!
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I just put a Reba Team on my '08 El Mar. The day I put it on, ALL SCREWED UP!! Too much travel. I got the spacers put in, but haven't gotten a good ride on it yet. I'll have to get back to this thread once I do.

I rode it full rigid out in Big Sky. I really enjoyed the ride. Granted, I was with my wife and wasn't riding Mach Stupid, but while not being a walk in the park, I didn't feel too beat up. I did want to smooth things out a bit. We'll see if the fork makes things "right"...if not, back to rigid.

dirtbag
    Hey axebiker, what travel did you begin with on that Reba?

I've got a red Mariachi (the one with the Bushnell EBB) and was thinking of picking up a RS Reba. They seem to come aftermarket in 100mm travel with all travel spacers to either go 80 or 120. I don't like a slow steering front end, especially on a 29er.
    Amolan

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ranier View Post
    Hey axebiker, what travel did you begin with on that Reba?

I've got a red Mariachi (the one with the Bushnell EBB) and was thinking of picking up a RS Reba. They seem to come aftermarket in 100mm travel with all travel spacers to either go 80 or 120. I don't like a slow steering front end, especially on a 29er.
    The shop said it was @ 100-110. I had the spacer put in, and it's in the 80-90 range now. It's better, but not quite as quick as the rigid was. That said, the more I ride it, the more comfortable I get.

I have the same bike you do, and they are corrected for 80mm.

All I was hoping to do was smooth out the ripples on fire roads/singletrack and so on. I wasn't looking to smooth out big hits, because I don't ride those - yes, I'm at peace with my mortality... . It works perfect for what I wanted to accomplish. For what I paid for a used shock, it was an AWESOME buy. I'm very happy I did this. I also use a Thudbuster ST, and this bike is just as comfortable as my full squish was, but rides better, and feels more "connected".

dirtbag
    Cool thanks for the input. I just picked up a 100mm Reba on fleabay. Looks like I'll reduce the travel to 80mm with the all travel spacers but I'll probably run it for a while to see how the extra 20mm of travel affect the handling.
    Amolan

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    One word - FLOP.

surly inbred
    Updatus on the statusus...

100mm on the El Mar is a no go for me. After a dozen'ish rides & a full fork service I can say the Fox is dialed, but feels like ****. I dropped to 80mm & life is good again.

Note..

I ride SS. I ride tight twisty eastern spaghetti. 100mm would be totally acceptable for my geared Park City outings, though (lock & climb... then down.)

Anyhoo, that's my $.02. 80mm feels like 6" when you've been rippin the rigid for so long.
    Last edited by TroutBum; 08-12-2012 at 06:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TroutBum View Post
    80mm feels like 6" when you've been rippin the rigid for so long.
    Funny, yet so true.

Members who have read this thread: 0