Looking Into a Horsethief And Tallboy3 - Would Love Opinions!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Looking Into a Horsethief And Tallboy3 - Would Love Opinions!

Hey Guys

Looking to take my first foray into 29er's. I've been looking to pick up a bike that I can use for the longer days where I need to grind miles out. I'm looking at the shorter travel bikes so it can compliment my SB6c.

My preferred dealer sells Salsa, SC and Yeti's. I'll be the first to admit that I never really payed much attention to Salsa's, point and case, I was pleasantly shocked to learn they used Split Pivot. The shop believes it's a sleeper bike in this category that doesn't get the love and attention it deserves.

I know the Yeti and the TB get a lot of attention but I'm interested in peoples opinions on the HT who have ridden the new TB3.

I've crossed the 4.5c off my list for a few reasons. First the money, owning a Yeti is expensive, owning a plethora of Yetis is really expensive. Secondly I'm interested in the dual wheels bikes, I can scratch two relatively unknown (to me) itches with the two wheels sizes in one frame.

The TB3 and the HT both look great. Obviously the price on the Salsa is better and from the small amount of reviews I can find on it people really like it. The TB3 reviews are plentiful and overall the bike seems highly regarded.

I really don't think either of them would be a bad choice honestly. No matter which frame I get I'm going to have 2 wheelsets built. The 29er wheelset is going to be the nice one with I9's on Arc 27/ DT Swiss hoops and then a lower grade hub / hoop combo on the 27.5+ wheelset.

I ride in New England so its the standard twisty, rooty, and rocky terrain.

Any one got any good real world feedback between the HT and the TB3?

I posted this in the general 29er forum, but I wanted to post here as well for general biased feedback
    Last edited by Magsrgod; 04-19-2017 at 06:53 PM.

Not really fixed.
    Feb 2016
    Hot Tamale? Turbo Bacon 3?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    hightower and tallboy...
    2003 Kona A
    2005 Kona A
    2012 Cannondale Hooligan
    2016 Salsa Deadwood

mtbr member
    Sorry Horsethief/Pony Rustler and Tallboy

ejj
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Have you ridden them? The Horse is a nice bike--it was ahead of its time really--many other bikes now have pretty similar geo, such as the Tallboy.

Ride them! The Salsa is a bit cheaper, but I'd go with the fit. Im a perfect XL on the Tallboy, but kinda between sizes on the Salsa.

Fox vs RS suspension? Tallboy has the chip for wheelsize adjustment.

mtbr member
    I was able to test ride a Tallboy but unfortunately not the Horse. The tallboy fit really well and I'm going to build one of those up!

Members who have read this thread: 0