Light Salsa Caballero- Mtbr.com

Jun 2004

Light Salsa Caballero

Thought some of you might be interested in a Caballero I recently built up. I'm mainly using it for time trialing on a rolling 4.0 mile course and built it specifically for this purpose. The 40t/29t chainrings work well for me as I can't spin out a 42 on the terrain. I was having problems with the chainstay hitting the XTR front derailleur cage when the suspension was near the end of its travel (due to the 40t big ring) so I went with the shorter cage Dura Ace and a top pull adaptor from Cyclocross World -- interestingly both components weighed less than the XTR. The no BS 21.47 pound weight is on my digital scale and includes the computer, HRM and bottle cage. There are certainly other weight savings I could achieve with it, e.g., lighter cranks, etc., but it is plenty light and is a blast to ride as is.

Salsa Caballero 18" frame
    ti/alloy bolts everywhere
    Supergo Stem/FSA carbon bar/foam grips
    Thomson seatpost/Terry Ti Race saddle
    2000 SL SID/Total Air Cartridges
    Frog ti pedals
    Avid Mag brakes (ti/alloy bolts)/Paul levers
    Chris King headset
    RaceFace Turbine cranks/Cannondale 29t/40t chainrings
    Dave's Speed Dream wheelset/XTR 11-32
    Salsa ti skewers
    World Class ti BB
    Dura Ace FD/Cyclocross top pull adaptor
    Sram Rocket shifters
    Short Cage XTR RD
    Sram 89R Hollow Pin Chain
    Kenda Klimax tires/Stan's NoTubes
    Specialized computer/Polar HRM
    Performance carbon bottle cage
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Looks great, and they do ride awesome aswell
    Heres a pic of mine, i use it for xc racing etc... and have built it up really light, and it performs so well.
    Havent got an exact weight, but its damn light
    Heres the specs -

ti/alloy bolts on frame and all parts
    FSA OS115 stem
    FSA K force carbon bar - 31.8
    Aerolite Titanium seatpost
    Fizik Aliante carbon / Ti saddle
    2004 Sid World Cup
    Eggbeater single Ti pedals (currently waiting for 3x Ti to arrive )
    Avid Juicy 7 disc brakes with full al / Ti hardware - waiting on al rotors to arrive
    Chris King headset with Ti crown race
    FSA K-force carbon team issue cranks
    Token Scandium Bottom Bracket
    Mavic Crossmax SL Disc wheelset
    Dura ace 12-27T cassette
    Mavic skewers (soone to be replaced with bolt on cheapies)
    SRAM X gen front mech
    Sram X.O shifters
    SRAM X.O rear derailleur
    Michelin wildgripper comp s lite - with Michelin green latex tubes
    Cateye astrale 8 computer
    13g carbon bottle cage
    Ive also since that pic added a pair of LP composites Carbon braids junior Bar ends . anyone who sais barends arent needed and provide no advantage are so wrong. They are great on climbs, sprints and just to change hand position on long epic rides and climbs + they look sexy too

banned

top-pull adaptor...

nice bike! i like your chainring setup too. too many people carry gears they don't use and the 40t makes for smaller steps between gears which is kinda like having a roadie cassette with closely spaced gears....helps maintain a steady cadnce.

i would like to know more about that cyclocross adaptor. do you have a picture? the weight or a link? i use roadie derailleurs for years now and always wondered why there was no adaptor like this.

thanks
    nino

Feb 2004
    Nice setup! I would love to find a lightweight 40t or even 38t compact ring. Is your Cannondale 40t a 94mm BCD and do you know what it weighs?

Feb 2004
    this must be what he's referring to:

Cyclocross World

unfortunately, they don't seem to offer one for 34.9

banned

just the pulley?

Quote Originally Posted by eurorider
    this must be what he's referring to:

Cyclocross World

unfortunately, they don't seem to offer one for 34.9
    thanks!
    am i right or is this really just a pulley? this isn't the clamp for the derailleur but just the pulley for the cable.so you still need another clamp for the derailleur...??
    and i sure would like a 34.9mm size.

Feb 2004
    you are right nino but you already have down tube cable routing don't you so why do you need a top pull to bottom pull conversion?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by eurorider
    you are right nino but you already have down tube cable routing don't you so why do you need a top pull to bottom pull conversion?
    i built bikes for my friends which often they had top cable routing hindering me to mount them light roadie derailleurs. also the Scott Scale carbon frame has top cable routing...that frame is usually outfitted with E-type derailleurs.newest XTR E-Type weigh 145g!!! that's 60g more than my current roadie derailleur with adapter clamp...

i will upgrade to a Scale maybe next year so i'm still looking for a lighter alternative...older XTR E-types still weighed 117g. there must be something lighter. i don't want to buy a ultralight frame only to put weight afterwards.

Max
    Velodramatic
    you'll simply have to go with the e-type FDs, nino the seattube is soooo thick (remember: 34,9 mm SEATPOST) and oddly shaped to match the e-type FD that you aint gonna be able to mount a roadie derailleur.

Skinny guys fight 'til they're burger

banned

well...

Quote Originally Posted by Max
    you'll simply have to go with the e-type FDs, nino the seattube is soooo thick (remember: 34,9 mm SEATPOST) and oddly shaped to match the e-type FD that you aint gonna be able to mount a roadie derailleur.
    Scott CR1 roadbikes also have a braze-on adapter attached on the carbon frame. i was thinking about such a solution.
    i would ad a cableguide below the BB shell (+5g) and have the front derailleur cable routed "the old fashioned" way from below the BB shell. that would allow for a regular roadie front derailleur without any adapter etc.
    at the same time i would change the complete cable routing as the Scale has continous housings which ad too much weight. i would try to ad cable stops to the frame. same as on the CR1 roadbike frame.

Max
    Velodramatic
    but if you choose downtube cable routing the CX pulley would be obsolete. and then there's still the prolem how to mount the derailleur. you'd have to make your own clamp for 38 mm seat tubes. if i were you i'd have one laminated for you. machininh it would be too difficult and expensive

Skinny guys fight 'til they're burger

banned

my dad...

Quote Originally Posted by Max
    but if you choose downtube cable routing the CX pulley would be obsolete. and then there's still the prolem how to mount the derailleur. you'd have to make your own clamp for 38 mm seat tubes. if i were you i'd have one laminated for you. machininh it would be too difficult and expensive
    about 20 years ago my dad glued a self-made braze-on adapter to his Vitus carbon frame. that's no big deal. but having to deal with cable routing on such a bike was the resaon that i didn't get one already this year. we will see what my plans are next winter
    Last edited by nino; 05-31-2005 at 03:02 AM.

chips & bier

Re: downtube cable routing

How about machining (or molding, for that matter) a plate w/ cable stops that fits under the headset cup? Some old road bikes have cable guides that are mounted like the this.

(Oh no: just remembered the Scale has an integrated headset)...

Jun 2004

Photo of adaptor and chainring weight

Thanks for all the comments. Attached is a close-up of the adaptor and the Dura Ace derailleur. You can see from the photo where the chain stay was hitting the XTR derailleur -- no problem now. I have a 38 and a 40t version of this ring. The 38 weighs 61g. Couldn't weigh the 40t as it is installed. I bought them off of eBay and was told they were Coda rings but we can't find them in any new or old Cannondale literature. They have a cryptic number on the back and no other info.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Seen any 22" Caballero's left?

Quote Originally Posted by TheOldMan
    Thought some of you might be interested in a Caballero I recently built up. I'm mainly using it for time trialing on a rolling 4.0 mile course and built it specifically for this purpose. The 40t/29t chainrings work well for me as I can't spin out a 42 on the terrain. I was having problems with the chainstay hitting the XTR front derailleur cage when the suspension was near the end of its travel (due to the 40t big ring) so I went with the shorter cage Dura Ace and a top pull adaptor from Cyclocross World -- interestingly both components weighed less than the XTR. The no BS 21.47 pound weight is on my digital scale and includes the computer, HRM and bottle cage. There are certainly other weight savings I could achieve with it, e.g., lighter cranks, etc., but it is plenty light and is a blast to ride as is.

ti/alloy bolts everywhere
    Supergo Stem/FSA carbon bar/foam grips
    Thomson seatpost/Terry Ti Race saddle
    2000 SL SID/Total Air Cartridges
    Frog ti pedals
    Avid Mag brakes (ti/alloy bolts)/Paul levers
    Chris King headset
    RaceFace Turbine cranks/Cannondale 29t/40t chainrings
    Dave's Speed Dream wheelset/XTR 11-32
    Salsa ti skewers
    World Class ti BB
    Dura Ace FD/Cyclocross top pull adaptor
    Sram Rocket shifters
    Short Cage XTR RD
    Kenda Klimax tires/Stan's NoTubes
    Specialized computer/Polar HRM
    Performance carbon bottle cage
    Ah, yes, love those Caballero's. Anyone seen a larger version for us big guys (6'3" 190lbs)? I checked Speedgoat but they must've sold their last one. Where else to look?

Jun 2004
    Any bike shop that has an account with Quality Bike Parts (QBP) can get Salsa stuff since QBP owns Salsa.

mtbr member
    I have my 03 Black Silver 16inch Cab and absolutely love it!!! Got mine down to 23.7lb....

However, they don't make the Caballero anymore! You will have to search for one now. The black / silver one is the 03 model and the 04 model was black and red.

Salsa's replacement is the El Santo. go to www.salsacycles.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    feel privlaged you got a 29t coda ring. I've been trying half heartedly to get my hands on one, none of the Cannondale shops I've been to can get me one. I've had to settle for a 30t.

Nice ride

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Just started to build mine this morning

Just started to build up mine this morning. I'm trying to take me time but I'm so eager to try it out.

$489 new. Just couldn't pass it up esp since the top tube length is perfect for me.