Just got my Salsa "P" series stem and have ?'s- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    231

    Just got my Salsa "P" series stem and have ?'s

    I just bought a P series stem for my Rock Comb. My bars were about an inch too low. This stem is definitely going to get the bars up to where they need to be. The old ads say they cam in 70mm and 100mm lengths. If I measure the stem from the center of the quill to the center of the mounting hole I measure around 120mm. Am I measuring it correctly? Maybe this was a custom? Anyway, were these things used for anything other than dirt drop MTB's? They don't seem like they'd be good for much else.

  2. #2
    those are Rollercams...
    Reputation: WTB-rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,894
    Had a customer with a back problem who used one with a set of cruiser bars on a TREK 8700(? the carbon and orange number) back around '91.

  3. #3

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,079
    Quote Originally Posted by Luther
    I just bought a P series stem for my Rock Comb. My bars were about an inch too low. This stem is definitely going to get the bars up to where they need to be. The old ads say they cam in 70mm and 100mm lengths. If I measure the stem from the center of the quill to the center of the mounting hole I measure around 120mm. Am I measuring it correctly? Maybe this was a custom? Anyway, were these things used for anything other than dirt drop MTB's? They don't seem like they'd be good for much else.
    The correct way to measure a P series extension is an effective horizontal dimension - not directly center to center. The extnesion is essentially the base of a right triangle measured at 90 degrees to the quill and then straight up to the bar clamp. Does that make sense?

  4. #4
    clueless
    Reputation: floibex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    436
    ... salsa stem chart, p10 always had 100mm reach. the high rise might fool your eyes




    "how-to-measure"



    ciao
    flo

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    231
    Quote Originally Posted by floibex
    ... salsa stem chart, p10 always had 100mm reach. the high rise might fool your eyes




    "how-to-measure"



    ciao
    flo
    Thanks for the graphic. I do have the p7 stem, and after mounting it i would REALLY like to find a p10. The p7 may be just high enough at the min. insertion point but it would be nice to have a little cushion.

  6. #6
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,236
    Quote Originally Posted by Luther
    Thanks for the graphic. I do have the p7 stem, and after mounting it i would REALLY like to find a p10. The p7 may be just high enough at the min. insertion point but it would be nice to have a little cushion.
    Around '87-'88 I had Salsa make a custom stem for my dropbars with a reach of 100 mm and rise of 150 mm. A year or two later it became the p10.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Members who have read this thread: 1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.