Just got my Salsa "P" series stem and have ?'s- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Just got my Salsa "P" series stem and have ?'s

I just bought a P series stem for my Rock Comb. My bars were about an inch too low. This stem is definitely going to get the bars up to where they need to be. The old ads say they cam in 70mm and 100mm lengths. If I measure the stem from the center of the quill to the center of the mounting hole I measure around 120mm. Am I measuring it correctly? Maybe this was a custom? Anyway, were these things used for anything other than dirt drop MTB's? They don't seem like they'd be good for much else.

those are Rollercams...
    Had a customer with a back problem who used one with a set of cruiser bars on a TREK 8700(? the carbon and orange number) back around '91.

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Luther
    I just bought a P series stem for my Rock Comb. My bars were about an inch too low. This stem is definitely going to get the bars up to where they need to be. The old ads say they cam in 70mm and 100mm lengths. If I measure the stem from the center of the quill to the center of the mounting hole I measure around 120mm. Am I measuring it correctly? Maybe this was a custom? Anyway, were these things used for anything other than dirt drop MTB's? They don't seem like they'd be good for much else.
    The correct way to measure a P series extension is an effective horizontal dimension - not directly center to center. The extnesion is essentially the base of a right triangle measured at 90 degrees to the quill and then straight up to the bar clamp. Does that make sense?

clueless
    ... salsa stem chart, p10 always had 100mm reach. the high rise might fool your eyes

"how-to-measure"

ciao
    flo

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by floibex
    ... salsa stem chart, p10 always had 100mm reach. the high rise might fool your eyes

"how-to-measure"

ciao
    flo
    Thanks for the graphic. I do have the p7 stem, and after mounting it i would REALLY like to find a p10. The p7 may be just high enough at the min. insertion point but it would be nice to have a little cushion.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Luther
    Thanks for the graphic. I do have the p7 stem, and after mounting it i would REALLY like to find a p10. The p7 may be just high enough at the min. insertion point but it would be nice to have a little cushion.
    Around '87-'88 I had Salsa make a custom stem for my dropbars with a reach of 100 mm and rise of 150 mm. A year or two later it became the p10.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Members who have read this thread: 1