Thread: The Journeyman.

mtbr member

The Journeyman.

Just saw the roll-out on the Journeyman. Nice job Salsa. They'll likely sell as many of these as they can keep in stock. The 650b model is exceptionally appealing. I know some folks will be less than excited about the spec on these but I'm fine with it. I say, ride the stuff until it doesn't work then replace it with what you want. I really like the crank they used with 46/30 gearing. I used to run that with a 7 spd 12/28 freewheel on my rando bike and it was perfect. An 11/32 cassette is obviously more appropriate for this bike. And of course, nothing wrong with going even lower, say 36t low gear on cassette.

For myself I don't know that I'd get one of these due to the aluminum frame and carbon fork. I'm not a fan of either. But it certainly wouldn't be an expensive "experiment" to check one of these out. And reselling it wouldn't be hard.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Haha you beat me to starting a thread, here's some pics of the Claris model, 700c and 650B The Journeyman.-20180317_142639_hdr.jpg

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I love that they also are selling a flat-bar version of the Journeyman. My initial reaction was "WOW", then "I wish it was steel instead of aluminum" and then I realized if it was steel, it wouldn't be much different than the Karate Monkey I already own. I hope I can find a flat-bar version in my size to test ride.

rth009
    May 2010
    Would be a great bike in Ti, frame/fork only, to build up with high end components.

mtbr member
    It's a great bike for the price and I really like 9 speed stuff. It's tough for the main part and gets the job done without fuss. I would be really interested in the black flat bar model if I wasn't piecing together an equivilent bike from parts.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    So I've been eyeing the Jamis Renegade and the Salsa Journeyman. Any opinions on thru axles vs the quick disconnect?

My current bikes all have quick disconnects but the trend seems to be towards thru axles. I wonder why Salsa went quick disconnect?

rth009
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by fshnfvr View Post
    I wonder why Salsa went quick disconnect?
    I suspect because the Journeyman is a budget friendly bike and thru-axles and thru-axles dropouts are more expensive to manufacture. Plus, bikes get along fine without thru-axles.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fshnfvr View Post
    So I've been eyeing the Jamis Renegade and the Salsa Journeyman. Any opinions on thru axles vs the quick disconnect?

My current bikes all have quick disconnects but the trend seems to be towards thru axles. I wonder why Salsa went quick disconnect?
    Budget honestly, I think someone already mentioned that, but for the bike and what it offers, it has a lot going for itself. I think this bike is one that at its price point, you can't go wrong with it. I also think that it can run 27x2.5 or 29x2.25, maybe I'm crazy. However I might be able to test this later today and snap some pics of my results.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Yeah, I'm sure it's to meet the pricepoint. 8 and 9-speed drivetrains, 1 1/8 steerer tubes, QR hubs, threaded BB shells and the like are all good, proven components.

All of that stuff would make me want to buy this bike, rather than hold out for a bike with thru-axles, as you have such a wide range of options for upgrade and replacement parts.

mtbr member
    This bike checks all of the boxes I was looking for in a budget friendly anyroad ride. I was seriously considering a flat bar cross check prior to this, even a steamroller, but I think I'll be getting my first salsa.
    Surly Pugsley
    Surly ECR

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cassa89 View Post
    This bike checks all of the boxes I was looking for in a budget friendly anyroad ride. I was seriously considering a flat bar cross check prior to this, even a steamroller, but I think I'll be getting my first salsa.
    be careful,buying a salsa is a slippery slope...i got a bucksaw cheap,really liked it,bought a fargo,really like that bike...then bought a ti timberjack....

turns out salsa makes pretty dang good bikes,in many ways they have replaced my surlys....that said,i have no intention of getting rid of my surlys,being surly frames,what they are can be changed simply by swapping bits and bobs and tires...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I am strongly looking at one of these to replace my Crossrip. The idea of the 650 is the exact bike I want my Crossrip to be but the tire clearance isn't there.
    His Hers
    2014 Trek CrossRip 2015 Trek Lexa
    2012 Trek Rumblefish 2013 Sette Reken

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Irongrave View Post
    I am strongly looking at one of these to replace my Crossrip. The idea of the 650 is the exact bike I want my Crossrip to be but the tire clearance isn't there.
    How much tire clearance are you looking for? Also, dropbars or flats?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    All...so I'm looking to buy my first gravel bike for commuting (3miles one-way) and the off days on gravel trails and some clean singletrack where the gnarly MTB trails are washed out. I'm not looking to put up large mileage here.

My trail bike is 27.5 x 2.6 tires full squish. And I see all the rage right now with 650B x 2.1"+ or 700c x 40 for gravel bike. I'm thinking 650B x 2.1" is pretty much a XC mountain bike and too close to my trail bike. So something like 700C x 40 makes more sense? Only thing is I'm 5'5".

But I find it odd that MTB the rage is 29er right now, from XC to Enduro and even some DH rigs, while it seems with gravel 650B (27.5) is the rage.

mtbr member
    So has anyone ridden or bought a Journeyman yet? For some reason I'm drawn to this bike even though I don't really need another bike in the quiver. I have a Surly LHT with S&S couplers that I use for international touring duty already so this bike is somewhat redundant. However, on my last tour while in Spain my wife and our friends brought regular road bikes with racks while I was on the iron pig. It sure would be nice to go a bit lighter if I don't need to utilize the couplers to save on airfare.
    Ibis Ripley
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Surly LHT w/S&S couplers

"The Jeep is America's only real sports car"
    Enzo Ferrari

mtbr member
    I rode both 700c and 650B, I think for the money abd the market they are aiming for, it's a great buy. You can multiple size tires, handles good, I'd opt fir the sora model if I was in the market for a gravel/adventure bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorep View Post
    So has anyone ridden or bought a Journeyman yet? For some reason I'm drawn to this bike even though I don't really need another bike in the quiver. I have a Surly LHT with S&S couplers that I use for international touring duty already so this bike is somewhat redundant. However, on my last tour while in Spain my wife and our friends brought regular road bikes with racks while I was on the iron pig. It sure would be nice to go a bit lighter if I don't need to utilize the couplers to save on airfare.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017

Large 650 Journeyman w wood chipper bars & maxxis Forekaster tires

The Journeyman.-a5bd623a-2276-4e3e-9cda-a39ad294808a.jpg

mtbr member
    My riding buddy has a 700c sora journeyman. It's an excellent bike for the price and rides really really well. I tried to order one 2 weeks ago from my local bike shop and was informed that there are no in stock journeymen in the biggest 3 sizes and that won't change until late august/early september.

I ended up ordering a giant toughroad instead.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

got mine!

The Journeyman.-20180517_163258.jpg

my new to me Journeyman. I'm 6' and the 57mm fits great. got the 650b model and really line the way it handles, disc brakes are awesome. that said I found a good deal on some sram rival hydraulic shifter/ brakes and will be going to a 1 by setup with shimano 46 tooth rear, nx long cage derailuer and 32 tooth crank to better handle the mountain's here.

also ordered a Revalant half frame bag and I'll be set to do some bike packing this summer! very happy with this bike and the price!

mtbr member
    Oct 2017

57mm size for 6’ tall rider

Quote Originally Posted by etacata View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180517_163258.jpg 
Views:	765 
Size:	174.2 KB 
ID:	1199344

my new to me Journeyman. I'm 6' and the 57mm fits great. got the 650b model and really line the way it handles, disc brakes are awesome. that said I found a good deal on some sram rival hydraulic shifter/ brakes and will be going to a 1 by setup with shimano 46 tooth rear, nx long cage derailuer and 32 tooth crank to better handle the mountain's here.

also ordered a Revalant half frame bag and I'll be set to do some bike packing this summer! very happy with this bike and the price!
    Tetcata, I agree, my 57mm shown above. I am about 5’11”, and tried 3 sizes before settling on the 57mm as the most comfortable size. A really fun bike so far & solid price performer!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatbikefan View Post
    Tetcata, I agree, my 57mm shown above. I am about 5’11”, and tried 3 sizes before settling on the 57mm as the most comfortable size. A really fun bike so far & solid price performer!
    looks like you have woodchipper bars on yourJourneyman. can you share your thoughts on them vs the cowbell? I'm interested in trying some out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Waiting to order a 650b sora... Looks like QBP is out of the 54. I want to run it 700, but dig the colorway on the 650b sora, and have some 700's that'll fit!

Anyone know when salsa should be putting out the next batch?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MudderNutter View Post
    Waiting to order a 650b sora... Looks like QBP is out of the 54. I want to run it 700, but dig the colorway on the 650b sora, and have some 700's that'll fit!

No date on it yet. Might be a bit

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Vto2.0 View Post
    No date on it yet. Might be a bit

Bummer... I'll just keep living vicariously through you guys! Unless I talk myself into another bike before then

mtbr member

My LBS stated end of august at the earliest. I didn't believe them so I called salsa and they confirmed the same. Scope the giant toughroad if you're looking for something in the next few months. I ended up with one of those and when comparing it to my buddies journeyman, the bikes are very very similar. The giant gets a small nod for value for money, but loses the same nod for not being as cool of a brand.

http://forums.mtbr.com/gravel-bikes/...d-1078657.html

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by minimusprime View Post
    My LBS stated end of august at the earliest. I didn't believe them so I called salsa and they confirmed the same. Scope the giant toughroad if you're looking for something in the next few months. I ended up with one of those and when comparing it to my buddies journeyman, the bikes are very very similar. The giant gets a small nod for value for money, but loses the same nod for not being as cool of a brand.

http://forums.mtbr.com/gravel-bikes/...d-1078657.html
    I do like that tough road! My situation is a little odd because I get a discount at QBP, so I’m trying to stay in that realm... kind of looking at cross checks and vayas, but I really like the value of the Journeyman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I do like that tough road! My situation is a little odd because I get a discount at QBP, so I’m trying to stay in that realm... kind of looking at cross checks and vayas, but I really like the value of the Journeyman.

Do you want a bike that will allow for a bigger volume tire? If so, the vaya is a good choice, if yo do not need a big volume tire, there's the Straggler or midnight special.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Do you want a bike that will allow for a bigger volume tire? If so, the vaya is a good choice, if yo do not need a big volume tire, there's the Straggler or midnight special.

I don’t have a need for a very large tire. Just up to 40c at the largest. I want it to serve as my “road bike”, gravel grinder, and commuter. I have an el mariachi for anything that would require a bigger tire. I get spun out on the el mar commuting, but don’t want to make it 2x.

The goal is to keep the cost low, but get a versatile bike that is enjoyable to ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017

Woodchipper vs Cowbell

Quote Originally Posted by etacata View Post
    looks like you have woodchipper bars on yourJourneyman. can you share your thoughts on them vs the cowbell? I'm interested in trying some out.
    I also changed out the stock 90mm stem for a shorter 35 degree stem which raised and shortened my reach on my size 57 journeyman. I feel this coupled with the 2.35mm Foercaster tires gives me an Aluminum Fargo geometry! Light, compliant and a more mountain bike feel for still a gravel bike which you can load all the bikepacking gear you want. My other two rides are an original Blackborow fatbike & a new Surly Krampus, so I wanted a gravel/mountain bike ride. I do like the woodchippers, it seems they give a bit more range of grip vs cowbell.

29er convert
    I am going to go test ride a 700c Claris this weekend.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    ---------
    I once had an awkward moment just to see how it felt

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by minimusprime View Post
    My riding buddy has a 700c sora journeyman. It's an excellent bike for the price and rides really really well. I tried to order one 2 weeks ago from my local bike shop and was informed that there are no in stock journeymen in the biggest 3 sizes and that won't change until late august/early september.

I ended up ordering a giant toughroad instead.
    What size frame and configuration do you need?

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by corwin1968 View Post
    I love that they also are selling a flat-bar version of the Journeyman. My initial reaction was "WOW", then "I wish it was steel instead of aluminum" and then I realized if it was steel, it wouldn't be much different than the Karate Monkey I already own. I hope I can find a flat-bar version in my size to test ride.
    I almost got the FB Journeyman to replace the KM I use for commuting. But realised that the cheap frame likely would save much weight and there are NO options for aftermarket carbon forks with the same specs as the stock fork (which was something I wanted). So I'd effectively be building a new bike for slightly more frame bag space.

mtbr member
    Be interested to hear your thoughts on the bike. I am waiting to demo a Journeyman Claris 650 Flat Bar

Quote Originally Posted by BurkC View Post
    I am going to go test ride a 700c Claris this weekend.

lb2
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Picked up my Journeyman over the weekend to go along with a '14Vaya that is now more for street duty. First ride and am pretty happy with the new ride.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Journeyman.-apc_3149-hdr.jpg  

mtbr member
    Which version is that? Your rear frame triangle seems to have a big curve and sweep to it near the rear hub and the others bikes posted above (green and blue) have sharp angles / straight lines.

Quote Originally Posted by lb2 View Post
    Picked up my Journeyman over the weekend to go along with a '14Vaya that is now more for street duty. First ride and am pretty happy with the new ride.

29er convert
    I think it's the Sora 700. I wonder if the frame is made like that because it's a smaller size? Like <52

---------

lb2
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    newking- BurkC is spot on, white frame are the Sora700, it's a 52cm frame.

mtbr member
    Pictures don't do it justice

mtbr member
    Nice looking bike, looks pink on the salsa website but more rose colored in your pic. Be interested to hear how the 1x gearing is on road, mixed gravel and singletrack.

I have always been a 1x rider but was thinking the 46/30 gearing on the Flat bar Claris bike would cover a big range.

Pictures don't do it justice

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newking View Post
    Nice looking bike, looks pink on the salsa website but more rose colored in your pic. Be interested to hear how the 1x gearing is on road, mixed gravel and singletrack.

I have always been a 1x rider but was thinking the 46/30 gearing on the Flat bar Claris bike would cover a big range.
    I will update if I end up buying this, I'm still debating between this or the cutthroat, but if end up with this one, it will be an epic ride I'll say.

mtbr member
    Let me know how you make out. Cutthroat is a nice bike but seems pricy. I was thinking of adding a gravel bike not as my main ride, more of a secondary option.

Was thinking the Journeyman with a few nice upgrades and pair of 2nd wheels comes in well under $2K.

I will update if I end up buying this, I'm still debating between this or the cutthroat, but if end up with this one, it will be an epic ride I'll say.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newking View Post
    Let me know how you make out. Cutthroat is a nice bike but seems pricy. I was thinking of adding a gravel bike not as my main ride, more of a secondary option.

Was thinking the Journeyman with a few nice upgrades and pair of 2nd wheels comes in well under $2K.
    I think that's what I will be doing, getting the 700c Apex1 model swapping a few things, getting a second wheelset and saving my chips, I'm really digging this color

29er convert
    I think that's what I will be doing, getting the 700c Apex1 model swapping a few things, getting a second wheelset and saving my chips, I'm really digging this color

Everything looks better in Celeste

---------