Introducing Dos Niner To Japan - follow up- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Introducing Dos Niner To Japan - follow up

Hey folks, just got back from Japan. Many of you may have seen the post of my Dos Niner I built for the trip. Since we want the 29" market to grow just as the members of this board do, I just thought I'd do a quick follow up.

The 29" thing is just starting to happen over there. We met with 5 magazines as part of our Salsa brand product launch and about 10 or 12 really great bike shops in Tokyo, Kyoto, Nagoya and Kurashiki. One even met up with us riding his own Dos Niner. Very cool. All of the magazines were very interested in the Dos Niner and many took a lot of detailed pictures. I think that 29ers have potential in Japan because the Japanese consumer is so careful and into technical features and benefits. We talked a lot and many took it for a spin.

It was interesting to talk with the Japanese bike shop owners and get an understanding of the Japanese consumers. While I think many of us on this board are super picky and calculated in our bike purchases, I think the Japanese consumer is even more so. They study things for so long and ask ton's of questions. One interesting thing is that many thought our Salsa bikes were not expensive enough. That is nice to hear and I joked with them that we would happily charge them more if they wanted. One other thing that many shops do is have bikes custom painted in colors not available anywhere else. It was cool seeing Karate Monkeys in Kawasaki green and flesh tone. Our visits were very informative and we learned a lot.

Anyway, here is a picture taken while riding in Kurashiki with Oda-san. He was a really great man who really loves bikes. You can't tell from the picture I attached, but he was riding a single speed Karate Monkey. He is the owner of The Farm. If anyone is a Mantis collector, he has 4 hanging from the ceiling. 2 were untouched, original paint schemes. He also had an old WTB Phoenix and a Whiskey Town Racer, both never built. It was hard for me to leave as I have been looking for an old bike to hang my original, still in the box, Deore XT 7speed group.....

If anyone is interested in reading about the whole story, please check out our blog at www.salsacycles.com/amigos

Thanks for your time.

Jason
    Salsa Crew
    Attached Images Attached Images

(was) Big in Japan
    Quote Originally Posted by Salsa Cycles
    Hey folks, just got back from Japan. . One interesting thing is that many thought our Salsa bikes were not expensive enough.
    Thanks for your time.

Jason
    Salsa Crew
    Now you're just killing me!!! I'm really bummed to have missed you over there! In Nagoya, did you go to Kato Cycle? I'm friends with the owner, and one of his better customers, and have bought a ton of "dead stock" from them. Really nice guys, and an amazing shop. I liked it better though when it was just random piles of rare parts, eg. Paul derailleurs and hubs, and old titanium stuff. I love the sentence above - but seriously, when I saw your prices in the Japanese catalogs, I was surprised at how reasonable they were. I was contemplating a Juan Solo before the 29er bug bit. And IMO more expensive = better in the Japanese mentality. I've seen it many a time.

By the way, did you visit RingoRoad in Osaka? I know the crew there too - been DHing with them for the last four years. Great guys.

You have any plans to come back again?

Cheers,

Chris
    Ride.

mtbr member

Kato Cycles!

It is a bummer we couldn't meet up with you. It was a great experience. Yes, we went to Kato. It was amazing. I couldn't believe the inventory they had. We only had one hour though. I could have spent twice that much time just in the Vintage room. I really wanted one of their touring bikes. Regarding the shop in Osaka, we did not get to Osaka. Just not enough time.

I did buy a few things, but I think my favorite score for my cruiser bike was a set of the mini Tioga sealed cartridge bearing pedals. A few messengers that guided us around Kyoto were using them. Very cool. Very light.

I'll go again next year. Now that I've been there and loved it, I plan to take a 2 or 3 day trip each time I travel to Taiwan to work with some of our component manufactures. We should keep in touch.

Jason

(was) Big in Japan
    It is a bummer we couldn't meet up with you. It was a great experience. Yes, we went to Kato. It was amazing..... I'll go again next year. Now that I've been there and loved it, I plan to take a 2 or 3 day trip each time I travel to Taiwan to work with some of our component manufactures. We should keep in touch.

Jason
    I'd love to keep in touch! I love Kato Cycle - I can't go back to Aussie bike shops after that...and you should see the storerooms on the second and third floors. That is, if you can fight your way past all the tyres on the stairs. Piles- I kid you not - of all the oldest, coolest stuff! I was blown away by the basket full of CK headsets, the...well, you saw it, you get the idea. But the real clincher was all the Fat Chance bikes STILL IN THE BOXES!!! There were about six of them. Oh, the humanity!

I'll keep following Salsa's movements on this board, and try to stay in touch. Oh, and PLEASE make me a SS 29er!

Cheers,

Chris (an Aussie stuck in Australia!)
    Last edited by TheSingleGuy; 06-17-2005 at 05:37 AM. Reason: more words
    Ride.

bike geek
    Hey folks, just got back from Japan. Jason
    Salsa Crew
    hey Jason- Thanks for the update. Sounds like you had fun.
    I sent you a PM with an OT question, when you have a moment.

Brian

mtbr member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheSingleGuy
    I'd love to keep in touch! I love Kato Cycle - I can't go back to Aussie bike shops after that...and you should see the storerooms on the second and third floors. That is, if you can fight your way past all the tyres on the stairs. Piles- I kid you not - of all the oldest, coolest stuff! I was blown away by the basket full of CK headsets, the...well, you saw it, you get the idea. But the real clincher was all the Fat Chance bikes STILL IN THE BOXES!!! There were about six of them. Oh, the humanity!

I'll keep following Salsa's movements on this board, and try to stay in touch. Oh, and PLEASE make me a SS 29er!

Cheers,

Chris (an Aussie stuck in Australia!)
    Chris, thanks for the note. Just a really quick follow up.

We won't be offering a SS 29er next year. We are small and just didn't have the resources or time to make this happen for 2006. We spent a bunch of time on a couple of new products for 2006 that I think you might appreciate for your 29er!

Jason

Nat
    mtbr member
    We spent a bunch of time on a couple of new products for 2006 that I think you might appreciate for your 29er!
    How cruel to drop that tidbit and leave!

mtbr member

Just playing around

Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    How cruel to drop that tidbit and leave!
    Nat, just playing around. Folks on these message boards take things so literally. I was joking around, but it is nearing the time where we all will get to see new products. I wish we were bigger where we could actually produce all the great ideas we have. There are so many cool product ideas and not enough resources. This has been a good year for us and the Dos Niner....Thanks to many folks like you.

I am looking forward to Interbike to see how many folks offer new 29" frames and products. Competition makes you better and I love to see all the new products.

Until then...Keep riding.

Jason
    Salsa Crew

mtbr member
    Just curious if anything is in the works to allow for more rear tire clearance for the '06 model? From what I've read in other threads and seen on one friend's dos is that the clearance is minimal. I'm thinking of making the jump to 29 next year and as of right now the dos is looking mighty nice but I'm a bit worried about that clearance. Any news?
    things are more like they are today than they ever were before

boring blogs:

racin rick dam nelsons

links:

Bikeman
    Salsa Cycles
    SRAM
    Panaracer

mtbr member

No great answer for you.

Quote Originally Posted by chidDONG
    Just curious if anything is in the works to allow for more rear tire clearance for the '06 model? From what I've read in other threads and seen on one friend's dos is that the clearance is minimal. I'm thinking of making the jump to 29 next year and as of right now the dos is looking mighty nice but I'm a bit worried about that clearance. Any news?
    I don't have a good answer for you at the moment. We are aware that many have concerns about the tire clearance. A lot of the feedback we've gotten seems to be related to how you like to ride. Many folks think that the clearance is good and acceptable, while others think that it is terrible. I'm not trying to sound like a politician, but how you ride a bike and what you intend to use it for really plays into the whole tire clearance issue.

Me, I'm riding my 18" Dos with Exi 2.3's right now. I thought I would try it. It does work. While the clearance is super tight, I don't have issues with mud. If it is a bit muddy or wet, I'll run my Schwalbe's where I have ton's of clearance.

Jason

bike geek
    Many folks think that the clearance is good and acceptable.
    I'm one who thinks it's perfectly acceptable. I've got a Kenda Klaw 2.1 back there now, and easily have enough on the sides and top of the yoke. I could comfortably run a Bonty XR I'm sure, which is slightly bigger.

Me, I'm riding my 18" Dos with Exi 2.3's right now. I thought I would try it. It does work.
    Personally, I think an Exi in the rear is a waste of weight. It's a heavy tire and hard to get moving. Despite the good traction it offers, and the little extra cush of a 2.3, it's just not worth it IMO, especially on a softtail like the Dos. Give me an Ignitor, a Klaw, or an XR, and I'm fine!

My riding style doesn't need a 2.3 on both ends, which as Jason said, is what determines whether people think there's enough clearance or not, Clarence.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Exi up front Nano in the Rear

Try it you'll like it. That is depending on the terrain you ride. Here in the Midwest its great tons of volume and traction up front and enough over the rear. I love to push the front end into a turn and have the back be a little loose and this combination works perfectly.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input guys. On my 26 the largest tire that I ever run is 2.1 so it sounds like I wouldn't have any problems with the dos. I can't imagine that I would need to run beefier tires on the 2-9.
    things are more like they are today than they ever were before

boring blogs:

racin rick dam nelsons

links:

Bikeman
    Salsa Cycles
    SRAM
    Panaracer