Introducing Dos Niner to Japan- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Introducing Dos Niner to Japan

Hey folks. Below you'll find a crappy picture of a bike I built to bring to Japan to spread the word on big wheels. Salsa is doing a press tour along with some folks from Motocross International, our Japanese Distributor. Sorry for crappy pic, it is just too late here in MN and I couldn't get a good picture tonite. If I can update before I leave on Friday, I will. Otherwise, the crappy picture will have to do.

A few notes about this build. Thanks to all our vendor partners who helped by either supplying parts or helping out with some good price. A special thanks to White Bros for a BW.8. WTB for tires, hubs and saddles. Race Face for a headset and 58/94mm turbine cranks. SRAM/AVID for brakes, Cassette and Chain.

Sub 24lbs without pedals. It could be lighter too. I'm not light so I put a little extra beef on it in a few places. This is about 2 pounds lighter than my other Dos Niner and I could feel the difference immediately. Dang light 29ers are fun!

I am trying a 20-30-42 chainring set up on this bike. Several board members have commented they either had or wanted to run this set up. Current 104mm cranks don't allow it, but RF came thru with a old school crank and we mfg our own Pro Rings in this combination. My initial impressions are that I feel undergeared. I'm mashing the 42 a bit more. I only have 2 hours on the set up so I'm sure my legs will adjust. I do like the 30t for climbing though. Here in the midwest, I haven't had to use the 20t, but am guessing I would have loved it when I was in Fruita for the 10th annual festivities.

Our new forged Scandium Stem. They have finally passed QC. I am super excited about this product. In our own tests, this stem is almost as strong as our steel stems, but way lighter. Additionally, when it reaches its failure point, it starts to bend rather than fail catastrophically. I know there is a recent post on this forum about scandium and its fatigue life, etc. All I can say is that we use it because it allows us to really design specific properties into a component, tube, or frame. Our tests show longer fatigue life than standard aluminum. It is an amazing material and we are in our 4th year of using scandium. We love it and will continue to offer new products and frames with this material.

Our carbon flat bars. 660 wide. Super comfy and light. We are considering doing this in an 11 degree. If you think this is a good idea, send me an email.

Lastly, if your interested, check out our blog to see one of the other bikes we are bringing and our newest product, the Bobby Buckle.

Thanks for reading.

Jason
    Salsa Crew
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Salsa Cycles; 06-01-2005 at 08:38 PM. Reason: spelling error

Bored
    Very nice build! New saddle would have been nice though!
    MTBR is serious stuff.
    You never get better until you get out of your comfort zone.

mtbr member

Saddle

I still love my old flites. I have a really nice WTB for the trip and magazine photo shoots.

rider
    Jan 2005

Love the c-rings!

I run your 30&42T Pro rings on my Sugar 293. Love them, just don' use your 20t granny. IMO any ring that small needs to be steel.

Keep up the great work!

29erchico

Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Salsa Cycles

Our carbon flat bars. 660 wide. Super comfy and light. We are considering doing this in an 11 degree. If you think this is a good idea, send me an email.

Thanks for reading.

Jason
    Salsa Crew
    11°x660mm Pro Moto Carbon Please. Just make sure you put the logo's on straight

Recovering couch patato
    Ditto on the 11. That should have been the first version to put the carbon on, IMO. I'd own one or two now if you had. Consider a 15 as well. More sweep is better. Look at the funky bar mania going on, up to 45 sweep things only get better.
    5 bars, I can sortof see logic for that if you have really narrow bars. But then, why would you, if you don't have to?
    Good luck in Japan!
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Always Learning
    Below you'll find a crappy picture of a bike I built to bring to Japan to spread the word on big wheels.
    Bike looks good and the picture is not at all "crappy".

I am trying a 20-30-42 chainring set up on this bike. Several board members have commented they either had or wanted to run this set up. Current 104mm cranks don't allow it, but RF came thru with a old school crank and we mfg our own Pro Rings in this combination.
    Now how about having Salsa make those rings to fit the most common 4 bolt, XT 64mm-104-mm crankset?

I - and my knees - would love to try the 20T and the 30T middle ring for severe climbs in recreational riding (the 20T) and the 30T for climbing during races.

BB

rider
    Nice bike Jason!

11 degree bend on the carbon bar would be sweet! I'm not so keen on 660mm though but I'd try it. We have some really tight trails on the East cost and I find that 600 to 620 is comfy.

Ah yes, the Raceface compact 94/58... I grabbed up a square taper, yellow, RF Next LP which looks mighty fine on my Dos. I've been using my Turbine/square taper on my Asylum (and years prior on my Superlight) and it's flawless. I've been scooping them up on eBay so I can run the 30t setup and becasue I'm also a fan of the square taper BB.

I agree with BruceBrown that it would be great if you made the Pro rings to fit 4 bolt 64/104 cranks.

Jun 2004

Rings

You can still find tons of RaceFace NorthShore 94/58 5 arm cranks. Add maybe 75 grams over the Turbine, but very stiff. You can even find replacement 94/58 spiders for the older XTR stuff. Salsa makes a great set of 42/30/20 Pro Rings that shift great all the way to the granny. It's all I've ever used since I found it cured my "slugish" feel and have had 0 problems.

rider
    Jan 2005

c-rings??

Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown
    Now how about having Salsa make those rings to fit the most common 4 bolt, XT 64mm-104-mm crankset?
    BB
    Don't think it can be done for the middle ring. By what I have seen chasing this subject on the web I think they could do 20-31-42. Not too far off.

29erchico

ali'i hua
    any more details on the scandium stem? does it behave like ti, in, ride, weight and manufaturing?

btw- you boys got a wider flat bar? something in the 28" range?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 29erchico
    Don't think it can be done for the middle ring. By what I have seen chasing this subject on the web I think they could do 20-31-42. Not too far off.

29erchico
    I dont think the 20 is doable either with a 64 BCD.

I like the idea of a wide 11 degree carbon flat bar also!

Tall Bird Legged Rider
    Jan 2004

20t is doable

Yo,

Look further down for a Spam MTBR ad I posted about a 20 tooth that is done and available.
    Chad

Are those your legs? Or are you riding a chicken?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crussell
    Yo,

Look further down for a Spam MTBR ad I posted about a 20 tooth that is done and available.
    Good deal. So that means on a 58 we could possibly do a 19t!

Ive ran the 54/98 with the 20,30,42 for years with a road cassette on the rear. Works great. With the big wheels though, the road gearing doesnt quite work.

(was) Big in Japan

Hey Salsa!

When will you be in Japan? I live at the base of Mt Fuji, not far from Tokyo, and have some KILLER trails in my 'hood. I'd love to meet for a ride if possible.

At the moment, I'm back in Australia for work, however I'm going to return to Japan at the end of June.

My buddy is a 29er and SS enhusiast, I love SS and am very keen on geting a 29er. How about a SS Dos?

Cheers,

Chris
    Last edited by TheSingleGuy; 06-02-2005 at 06:50 PM.
    Ride.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by crussell
    Yo,

Thanks for the heads up. Now, all I need is a 30T middle ring for the XT crankset....

[email protected]'4ward2the20ToothGranny.climb

mtbr member

Japan Dates

Quote Originally Posted by TheSingleGuy
    When will you be in Japan? I live at the base of Mt Fuji, not far from Tokyo, and have some KILLER trails in my 'hood. I'd love to meet for a ride if possible.

At the moment, I'm back in Australia for work, however I'm going to return to Japan at the end of June.

My buddy is a 29er and SS enhusiast, I love SS and am very keen on geting a 29er. How about a SS Dos?

Cheers,

Chris
    Chris, what a great offer. However, I don't think you'll be around. I leave tomorrow, June 3rd. I'll be there until June 8th and return again on the 11th for another magazine visit and fly back to the states on June 12th. I am travelling with two other people and they will be in Tokyo from June 4th thru the 12th. Let me know if your around and I can get you my contact information.

Single Speed Dos, not currently. Sure would love one. We are still a small company and can't build all the fun bike ideas that we wish we could. We do expect the 29" movement to continue to grow and it is in our plans. Frankly, I have ridden my 26" wheel bike only about 6 times this year. 3 times when my Dos was loaned out to friends and 3 times commuting to work on the MN river trail where I rode my Juan Solo Single Speed.

Thanks again for the note.

Jason

(was) Big in Japan
    Chris, what a great offer. However, I don't think you'll be around.

Thanks again for the note.

Jason

Bugger! Or as they say in Japan: zan-nen! (=that's too bad!) Maybe catch you next time. I think you'll be back. Great country.

Have fun!

Chris
    Ride.