increasing the "lockout" on a spearfish- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

increasing the "lockout" on a spearfish

Hello everyone,
    I have an older spearfish, and i find myself wishing the lockup (or platform setting, or whatever you you call the damping force the climb setting has) had more "lock" to it. Is there a way to increase the "lockout" force, or to make it more dampened in the climb mode?

Thanks, and my apologies if this is a dumb question.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Try sending it to Suspension Experts in Asheville NC. They can "Push" it for you. You can call them and discuss if what you want is possible. Great folks and generally fast service

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryonaspot View Post
    Try sending it to Suspension Experts in Asheville NC. They can "Push" it for you. You can call them and discuss if what you want is possible. Great folks and generally fast service
    Push is actually a completely different suspension tuning company in Colorado. They are the only ones that can truly "Push" your shock.

PUSH Industries

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Actually Push is not doing any work on forks or shocks. They sub out all their work to Suspension Experts. Unless this has changed recently. Push is now into product development

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Good to know. That still bugs me though. Like here in Texas where they call any brand of soda a Coke.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks, I will get in touch with Suspension Experts and see what they say. I assume this isn't something i can have done by my local bike shop? I have no idea how complicated these rear shocks are...

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by spruceboy View Post
    Thanks, I will get in touch with Suspension Experts and see what they say. I assume this isn't something i can have done by my local bike shop? I have no idea how complicated these rear shocks are...
    No. Most local shops, at most, will do a basic service including new seals, wipers, and fluids. What folks here are talking about doing is custom tuning, which involves replacing some of the internal parts to change the compression damping.

Another option you have would be to replace the shock with one that has better adjustments. The Cane Creek DBInline is HIGHLY adjustable so you can get it to behave how you like.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryonaspot View Post
    Actually Push is not doing any work on forks or shocks. They sub out all their work to Suspension Experts. Unless this has changed recently. Push is now into product development
    I live down the block from PUSH here in Loveland. In Nov 2016 I dropped my fork off and they did the work there. If you send it from elsewhere maybe they work on it elsewhere but I for me they did not.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spruceboy View Post
    Hello everyone,
    I have an older spearfish, and i find myself wishing the lockup (or platform setting, or whatever you you call the damping force the climb setting has) had more "lock" to it. Is there a way to increase the "lockout" force, or to make it more dampened in the climb mode?

Thanks, and my apologies if this is a dumb question.
    I have the same question regarding the rear shock on a single pivot Spearfish. The stock shock, a Fox CTD Boostvalve L tuning never locked out for me. Actually it seemed none of the settings ever did anything. It acted the same in climb, descend or trail. Changing the rebound did nothing. The pressure was the only thing that had any effect. Others I know with the same frame and shock say the same thing.

I am considering moving to a new shock since they old one is near dead after 3 years and 5,000 km with no servicing. I may get a Rock Shox Monarch RL.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by raymo853 View Post
    i have the same question regarding the rear shock on a single pivot spearfish. The stock shock, a fox ctd boostvalve l tuning never locked out for me. Actually it seemed none of the settings ever did anything. It acted the same in climb, descend or trail. Changing the rebound did nothing. The pressure was the only thing that had any effect. Others i know with the same frame and shock say the same thing.

I am considering moving to a new shock since they old one is near dead after 3 years and 5,000 km with no servicing. I may get a rock shox monarch rl.
    nnnnnnnnneccccccrooooooobuuuuummmmmmmmmppppppppp!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Back2MTB View Post
    nnnnnnnnneccccccrooooooobuuuuummmmmmmmmppppppppp!
    Pocket post or are you just an ass?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Is your Fox shock is a performance series? If so, they are notorious junk. A Monarch RL should make a huge difference. Lockout will never fully lock out, all shocks have a blow off valve in the event you take a huge hit to avoid destroying the shock and keeping you from going OTB. And to answer your question, yes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Back2MTB View Post
    Is your Fox shock is a performance series? If so, they are notorious junk. A Monarch RL should make a huge difference. Lockout will never fully lock out, all shocks have a blow off valve in the event you take a huge hit to avoid destroying the shock and keeping you from going OTB. And to answer your question, yes.
    Yes my shock was a boost value peformance series. I bought the rebuild kits, but at the same time a Monarch RL. Going to use that, rebuild the old one and keep it as a spare. The Fox made me less than happy from day 1.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raymo853 View Post
    Yes my shock was a boost value performance series. I bought the rebuild kits, but at the same time a Monarch RL. Going to use that, rebuild the old one and keep it as a spare. The Fox made me less than happy from day 1.

First short ride with the Monarch RL and I prefer it greatly. So nice to finally have a lockout.

mtbr member
    Second ride on the Monarch. My firm suggestion, do not rebuild any BoostValve Fox, just toss it, and get a Monarch RL. The Monarch is so remarkable better than the Fox was, regardless of its condition. (New, broken in, or worn out)

Last edited by Raymo853; 05-05-2017 at 10:35 AM.