If you own a Vaya and Fargo...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

If you own a Vaya and Fargo...

Tell me how much faster is the Vaya on the road if you have the same size tires on both say 700x40.

I own the 09 Fargo and just sold a couple of bikes and was thinking about buying a Vaya. I am amazed how fast my Fargo rolls on pavement which makes me wonder if getting a Vaya would be a little redundant.

Are you glad you have both bikes and why?

I should say that I have my bars on the Fargo set up lower than what I think Salsa recommends so it's more of like a road/cross bike. It makes it so I am not so upright on the hoods and flats but the drops are still plenty usable.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    A good question and something I've wondered about as well, especially considering people's built Vayas seem to be weighing 25+ lbs. Is a Fargo with Vulpines just as fast as a Vaya on the road?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Fargo's are heavier so I would think that the Vaya would be much faster.

mtbr member
    Because weight has anything to do with cruising speed?

No experience on a Vaya, but comparing my Fargo to my Cross Check, I think it all comes down to gearing, tires, and position. Match those, and I can't see why one bike would be faster than the other.

Quote Originally Posted by boomersooner523
    Fargo's are heavier so I would think that the Vaya would be much faster.
    http://www.bikingtoplay.blogspot.com/
    RIGID, not "ridged" or "ridgid"
    PEDAL, not "peddle." Unless you're selling stuff

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    SB, I think you are right about that. Set up is more important than a few ounces or even a pound especially when I already weight 245lbs.

But I did have to check and I was surprised that this years 58cm Vaya is less than two ounces lighter than the last years XL Fargo.

I thought if anything the Fargo might not work with a smaller tire but the BB drop is the same for the two bikes.

I have been talked out of it. I can't see having two bikes that similar and glad I have the Fargo due to the option for larger tires.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy
    Because weight has anything to do with cruising speed?

No experience on a Vaya, but comparing my Fargo to my Cross Check, I think it all comes down to gearing, tires, and position. Match those, and I can't see why one bike would be faster than the other.

X2

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I think you're making the right choice to not get both, at least from a practicality standpoint. I've checked geometry on both before and you're right, they are very similar - similar BB drop, similar CS length, and the Fargo is only a degree slacker in the HT. A lightweight road wheelset and bombproof 29er wheelset is the best "second bike" option with a Fargo!

Members who have read this thread: 0