I need to make a decision on a El Mariachi (Thank you for your advise)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

I need to make a decision on a El Mariachi (Thank you for your advise)

Backstory. I have a 2011 Vaya which I plan to keep. It is sometimes full on roadie style with drops and sometimes hybrid style with Bend 3 bars(which is actually extremely comfy)I also have a 2012 Mukluk I also have an older Casseroll SS which sees very limited action.
    I plan to trade or sell the SS for something else.
    I have a deposit on a closeout (2014) light blue El Mar for what I feel is a good price from a reputable shop ,pretty far away however, but I am not adverse to a road trip.
    I plan to use this El Mar ,if I go through with it, to ride trails, and maybe outfit for some long ride like a day or two on the C and O Canal. Maybe race for fun. It is nothing that my Vaya couldn't handle(not races), obviously, but just in the mood for a new bike.
    My question, is the El Mar going to fill the void of fast off road bike? Is it going to be a nice compliment to my Mukluk which sees a little beach, some snow and is my off road bike?
    Can I race the El Mar when I finally get my butt in shape?
    Or should I look to maybe getting a second, more aggressive Mukluk for a few hundred bucks more and give my wife my old Mukluk? Remember there is the possibility of racing this new bike.
    Obviously I would not be asking this if I was just going to spend the proper amount on a racing mountain bike. But I want a versatile bike, love Salsas, and really only want to spend around $1500-$1800.
    Sorry for the questions and rant, but I am scheduled to pick up the El Mar in one week and would just like some advise, experience, help before I do it.
    I am sure that I will not regret it, as everything I read about the El Mar is positive except for weight, but just wondering.
    Thank you very much for taking the time to read and respond if you choose to so.
    Kevin

mtbr member

I need to make a decision on a El Mariachi (Thank you for your advise)

Go for it. Whatever it gives up in weight is more than made up for in ride quality and fun handling. It's a great bike and would easily handle the occasional race.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I have a 14 El Mar. It's a great bike. It just disappears while I ride it. I don't have to really think about it, the bike does what I want when I want. That makes it a great bike IMO. I also have a Vaya, which I love dearly. The vaya is a forever bike for me. Just got a Fargo, which I'm digging so far.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by aircooled View Post
    I have a 14 El Mar. It's a great bike. It just disappears while I ride it. I don't have to really think about it, the bike does what I want when I want. That makes it a great bike IMO.
    This.

x1000

Do you like the handling of your Mukluk? If so, maybe just a light set of 29er wheels is all you need.

I'm assuming you're not racing at an elite level. If not, then a Muk would be just fine. If your wife is into riding, then give her the Muk and buy yourself another.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    That was an option. I bought the El Mar and wish I had years ago. It's awesome.
    Still might buy a new Mukluk and give the wife the other. Or vice versa.