How good is Salsa's warranty?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

How good is Salsa's warranty?

I have a buddy with a small Mukluk that has an ovalized headtube. It's still under warranty. He dropped it off at his lbs last June. To this day it's still there. He's wondering if Salsa is dragging their feet or if it's the lbs. Any pointers on his next step?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    My Spearfish carbon developed a crack at the shock mount at the end of last season. I dropped it off on a Sunday and had a brand new framed bike fully rebuilt in my hands on Thursday.

I'd say it's the LBS, but a call to Salsa and/or the LBS would clear things up; no way I'd have waited around either way this long.

The Dog.
    I would agree. My beargrease carbon developed a very small crack that extended under the factory downtube clear bra. I received an email within hours of dropping it off that a new frame was on the way. The whole thing took less than 4 days.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I'm a service manager at a PA bike shop and we are a Salsa dealer. Salsa is really good about their warranty. Sounds like the shop is dragging their feet. Was it originally purchased at that shop? If so, they need to stand behind it with better service.

Loud hubs save lives!
    This has been mentioned here before and others have had similar issues. They will only provide service if you meet a certain criteria.

For what it's worth. Salsa refused to replace the recalled fork on my Vaya. They said it was a US only recall even though the part number matched the recall notice. They also wanted a dealer service the bike, despite the closest one being over 150 miles away and in another country. As Rylan570 points out they also require the dealer be the original point of sale.

I always laugh when I see their adventure blogs in foreign countries. The only place where they will literally do nothing to assist you if there's an issue. (Granted those posts are all from sponsored riders)

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Rylan570 View Post
    I'm a service manager at a PA bike shop and we are a Salsa dealer. Salsa is really good about their warranty. Sounds like the shop is dragging their feet. Was it originally purchased at that shop? If so, they need to stand behind it with better service.
    What this dude said.

I had a friend with a similar issue. Salsa first replaced the headset, issue persisted. The upgraded him to a Makwa carbon fork when the aluminum fork recall hit, problem still there. After that, they determined the head tube was slightly ovalized and got him a new frame.

He ended up picking up a Surly instigator for regular MTB duty, but Salsa definitely handled each issue promptly and with little pushback. Of course, the LBS was instrumental in getting everything handled pretty quickly, too.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.