Horsethief Stolen, looking for a replacement- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2014

No good Horsethief Stolen, looking for a replacement

My 2012 HT was stolen yesterday along with my wife's 2014 Epic Comp. We are on vacation in Tamarac, Fl.
    Good news is that our homeowner's policy will make the financial hit not too bad.
    The other good news is that I get to obsess over what to get next. (Wife has already sourced another Epic Comp.)
    We quit MTB when we were tired of getting beat up. FSR wasn't really working too well back then. We ride in NW Jersey on technical stuff with some serious climbing and descending. For us a hardtail with aftermarket suspension was just not cutting it anymore. Back to road riding.
    The HT was my first ride in over ten years. And it was a revelation. I was worried at first that it would be too squishy and climb like a dog. WRONG! I quickly came to love my well used but new to me 1st gen HT.
    Now I need a replacement. I'm 5'9" with long torso and 30" inseam. The HT Medium felt big when mounting (I have to step over rather then swing a leg up over the saddle), but quickly disappeared underneath me when riding.
    So I'm considering the new DW Spearfish also in Medium. Found a few leftovers that make them attractive $$$'s wise.
    My question is this: Am I going to notice a huge difference between the bikes? I've preferred the Horsethief to the Epic Comp when wife and I trade bikes, we're the same bike size. Is the 2014 Spearfish closer to the 2012 HT or the 2014 Epic Comp?
    We don't race anymore and I really prefer to keep on the ground at all times so we're definitely not flogging these off any big drops. We're in our 60's...but we do ride aggressively. I love working through rock gardens and descending briskly.
    2014 Spearfish or 2014 Horsethief? How about moving down to a small 2014 HT and doing a longer stem or set back seatpost?
    OK, that's more than one question. I'm done for now.
    I know I'll eventually just get a bike and ride the crap out of it. Until then...OBSESS.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Dont know if this will help, but I was riding a non DW 2011 Spearfish and at the same time I bought a Kona Satori, similar to the Horsethief. Though they are different animals, I always thought the Spearfish felt like it had more rear travel than it did, and there was no place I thought the SF wasnt enough bike. It seems we have similar riding styles also, I am in CT with similar terrain. What made that bike even better was extending the travel on the Reba from 100 to 120mm. Though I sold it a few years ago, I recently picked up another SF frame used and am building it up over the winter.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Thanks for the on target reply, just the information I was looking for. I'm complicating the mix by also looking at the Spesh version of the Horsethief, a Stumpjumper FSR Elite.
    I can get a 2014 spearfish 3 for about $2K, and the Stumpjumper for about $3K...haven't found a Horsethief 2 yet...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Just the price savings would be all the reason I need to get the Spearfish-lol

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Yeah, it's definitely a factor.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    That blue 2014 Spearfish that's for sale on the Salsa Spearfish Facebook page is nice.