Horsethief of Spearfish?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Horsethief of Spearfish?

Last summer I bought a 2014 Salsa Horsethief. I couldn't decide for ages on whether the extra travel of the HT was worth it, but eventually decided it was more of an all-round bike, and a better contrast to my hardtail.

Fast-forward to now and I have not ridden it much. Don't get me wrong it's a great ride, but mostly ride my hardtail (currently a steel Stooge ss and a new Trek Superfly ss). I'm also focussing on more marathon events and I am not getting any younger, so my mind has turned to replacing the HT with a used SF.

Before I do this, for those that have ridden both, will I notice much difference? I need a bike for long days. Or would I be better off getting lighter wheels for the HT?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Horsethief of Spearfish?

Not sure why you would unless it's sized wrong or not the trie size you want. The travel really bothersome? Maybe put it in trail rather than descend?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon X01

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester7677 View Post
    Not sure why you would unless it's sized wrong or not the trie size you want. The travel really bothersome? Maybe put it in trail rather than descend?

Size is spot on.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Sooooooo, I wouldn't. What difference are you looking for?

'16 Bucksaw Carbon X01

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quicker climber, lighter over a long day (100 miles).

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    BTW, I'm no expert, but....

Quicker climber I doubt will be noticeable between the two if one is even technically quicker in that department. Long day comfort.... I suspect the same but I would invest in a saddle, make sure the bar setup is as good as possible, and yeah, I'd look at wheels to lose weight. I don't see how the Spearfish is more desirable for this type of ride.

'16 Bucksaw Carbon X01

mtbr member
    It's not going to make enough difference to be worth it, and I have a feeling you'll find yourself returning to those SS hardtails no matter what else is in your garage. The SF will be quicker, but by margins. Nothing too noticeable. As was suggested, try wheels if you really want to drop some weight, but I think you already know what you want out of a bike. The HT is a fantastic bike for long days, but I have a feeling you won't get what you're looking for out of a full squish bike, period.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    You know me too well sjk303!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sjk303 View Post
    It's not going to make enough difference to be worth it, and I have a feeling you'll find yourself returning to those SS hardtails no matter what else is in your garage. The SF will be quicker, but by margins. Nothing too noticeable. As was suggested, try wheels if you really want to drop some weight, but I think you already know what you want out of a bike. The HT is a fantastic bike for long days, but I have a feeling you won't get what you're looking for out of a full squish bike, period.
    I think this is Truth!
    I got back into mountain biking with the purchase of a fat-bike two years ago, and I thought I needed a dedicated full-suspension mountain bike to really tear it up...I test rode the Spearfish at a Salsa demo, and honestly didn't care for it. Whenever I felt the rear shock compress during a pedal stroke I felt like I was being robbed, and the Spearfish is a short travel bike...I can stand and use my legs for suspension if I need to, at least for the trails around here.

Right now, I'm thinking a hardtail B+ will probably fit the bill, for what I want. I also decided I like the traction that higher volume tires give on loose stuff.