Horsethief rear shock settings- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Horsethief rear shock settings

Got the 2014 Horsethief. I can't really feel any difference between the different settings, climb/trail descent on the fox shock. I guess itís broken. But I have always found the differences to be very subtle. Are the differences between climb/trail/descent very small on the 2014 HT (fox shock) or was my shock broken from the beginning?

Trying to decide if to have the fox shock fixed, tuned or replaced.

Almost never use the climb or lockout setting on my shocks but I really want one setting to be really supple and sensitive to small bumps.

Anyone tried both the Fox and RS Morach equipped Horsethief bikes? If so, how do they compare?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have the Fox on my '15 HT, and I can definitely tell the difference between trail and descend. I've only used climb 2 times over the past year. To me climb is virtually locking it out.

Some items to think about:

- Are you comparing the HT to a previous bike you had? If so, what type of suspension did it have? DW link like the HT, or something else? DW are notoriously non-bobbing (don't really want to call it firm because if it's tuned properly it will open up on the hits). For me, the DW is much tighter than my Santa Cruz which was VPP.
    - Have you played around with the pressure? I'm at 165-170# riding weight and run around 145psi which is probably a bit soft, but that's personal preference. I also find when adjusting pressure, adjusting the rebound makes a difference in how the shock behaves (kind of stating the obvious, but don't just adjust pressure). I adjust mine so trail mode covers 80% of my riding. If I'm descending it's in descend. Sometimes I'll leave it in descend on chunky flat sections, but find that position is just not as efficient as trail. Again - personal preference.
    - What do you have the trail adjust dial at? 1 = soft, 2, or 3 = firm. I found this adjustment makes a noticeable difference. It's the black disc behind the blue climb/trail/descent lever. Play with that if you haven't yet. It really opens up the shock.
    - It takes some time with the bike to be able to feel the difference. I find the more aggressive I ride, the more the shock settings affect the bike feel.

What do you have it set at now? What's your typical riding consist of?
    Last edited by wi1trackrider; 04-05-2016 at 04:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks!

My shock is definitely broken, and it must have been so ever since I got it. As I wrote, I can hardly notice any difference between Descent/Trail/Climb mode when i flick the blue leaver. Its not even close to firm in the climb mode.

I ride with it in the descent mode all the time and still does not find it sensitive enough for the small bumps.

The terrain where I ride is technical, a lot of roots and small rocks, but there is not much elevation. No long climbs. I prefer a plush setup and try to have an even pedal stroke to avoid to much bobbing. I usually just set up my shocks and never do any adjustments to them while on the trail. I come from an Intense 5.5. I'm not concerned about pedaling efficiency. Just want a shock more sensitive to the small stuff.

I have the rebound 3 or 4 clicks from fully open i think.

Not sure what your mean by the trail adjust dial behind the blue lever. I do not have a black disc behind the blue lever, only the red rebound knob.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    My CTD broke after about 6 months when I got my '14 HT. It got warrantied, but I've since upgraded to a Cane Creek Double Barrel Inline, which has also blown out twice. It gets replaced with a new one from them each time. Hopefully the 'new internals' will be more robust, cause its a sweet ass shock.

If I could do it over again, I would probably get a Monarch, seems to have less durability issues.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sorry, I have a '15 with the Fox Float CTD Boostvalve, not a '14. Black disc for trail adjust is seen in this image:

https://www.bike-components.de/de/Fo...uslauf-p40264/ (random pic found via Google Image)

Cool on the 5.5. That was what I was riding 2 bikes ago. Great bike. Really tough. Lots of smooth travel.