Horsethief pivot bearings

Printable View

  • 04-24-2013
    dvn
    Horsethief pivot bearings
    Had to order some replacement lower pivot bearings. The ones by the bottom bracket. Just thought I'd pass along the info for anyone that may need them in the future. They are 6903 2RS. I ordered the Enduro 6903 LLU MAX C-3 :)
  • 04-25-2013
    Pancake Adventure
    that's here too:
    Salsa Cycles | Bikes | Horsethief 1

    Serviceable Bearings
    Standard bearing sizes. Removable with standard bearing installation/removal tools.
    Upper Linkage (698 2RS - quantity 2)
    Lower Linkage (698 2RS - quantity 2)
    Bottom Bracket Pivot (6903 2RS - quantity 2)
  • 04-25-2013
    dvn
    Good to know but was the snarky comment really necessary? :rolleyes:
  • 04-25-2013
    Pancake Adventure
    Yes.


    EDIT: I took the meen word out of my first post.
  • 04-25-2013
    dvn
    Let me fix that for you.
    EDIT: I took the mean word out of my first post.
  • 04-25-2013
    Stopbreakindown
    Catfight!
  • 04-25-2013
    Stopbreakindown
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dvn View Post
    Had to order some replacement lower pivot bearings. The ones by the bottom bracket. Just thought I'd pass along the info for anyone that may need them in the future. They are 6903 2RS. I ordered the Enduro 6903 LLU MAX C-3 :)

    What type of terrain are you riding and how many miles before you had to r&r?
  • 04-26-2013
    dvn
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Stopbreakindown View Post
    What type of terrain are you riding and how many miles before you had to r&r?

    Northeast single-track terrain. I have just under 1000 miles on it. I think the bearings would have been fine had I taken everything apart when new and properly greased it. This is something I always did with my motocross bikes. It seems that bicycle manufacturers (like motorcycle manufacturers) are stingy with the grease. :nono:
  • 04-26-2013
    Pancake Adventure
    You mean the bearing manufacturers are stingy with the grease.
  • 04-28-2013
    Pancake Adventure
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dvn View Post
    Let me fix that for you.
    EDIT: I took the mean word out of my first post.

    Please rest assured that all misspellings on my part are purely intentional.
  • 04-29-2013
    caspar
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dvn View Post
    Northeast single-track terrain. I have just under 1000 miles on it. I think the bearings would have been fine had I taken everything apart when new and properly greased it. This is something I always did with my motocross bikes. It seems that bicycle manufacturers (like motorcycle manufacturers) are stingy with the grease. :nono:

    Same experience here .
    Main pivot bearings completely seized after aprox. 2000km.
    Rear shockbushing and reducers also replaced, changed bushings as soon as I noticed slop but only lasted 2 weeeks , reducers needed changing as well.
    And all pivotbolts completely ruststained after 12mth.
    And mine has a 147mm rear end (but wheel sits straight in frame when tightend down)
    Time to step up the QC Salsa !

    And finally , the RP23 my Horsethief came with(sold with Kashima RP23s in the UK) needs a big service as well (not just the seal/Oring/lube job), with Propedal 3 engaged it has a "notched" feel ,the dampening only kicks in , in the last half of the stroke :-(

    Expensive 1st year ! but still a nice riding frame.
  • 04-29-2013
    dvn
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by caspar View Post
    Same experience here .
    Main pivot bearings completely seized after aprox. 2000km.
    Rear shockbushing and reducers also replaced, changed bushings as soon as I noticed slop but only lasted 2 weeeks , reducers needed changing as well.
    And all pivotbolts completely ruststained after 12mth.
    And mine has a 147mm rear end (but wheel sits straight in frame when tightend down)
    Time to step up the QC Salsa !

    And finally , the RP23 my Horsethief came with(sold with Kashima RP23s in the UK) needs a big service as well (not just the seal/Oring/lube job), with Propedal 3 engaged it has a "notched" feel ,the dampening only kicks in , in the last half of the stroke :-(

    Expensive 1st year ! but still a nice riding frame.

    Just changed my lower pivot bearings and noticed I need the lower shock bushing as well. Where did you source yours?
  • 04-29-2013
    caspar
    Ebay ! Faster and cheaper.