Horsethief AL vs Horsethief CF- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Horsethief AL vs Horsethief CF

Last fall I had the opportunity to extensively ride for 3 hours the Horsethief CF all over South Mountain Park, AZ. I walked away from the demo extremely impressed with the pedaling efficiency, confidence inspiring downhill capabilities, pinpoint steering and handling, geometry and overall execution of the bike. The only deficits to the bike was the RS Revelation fork (too flexy) and the RS Reverb post that did not work at all.

My conundrum is do I purchase the Horsethief Carbon 1, swap out the fork, and brakes and live with the stock wheels or do I purchase the Aluminum Horsethief frame and spring for Pike, XT brakes with King or Hadley hubs and carbon nox or derby hoops.

Does anybody on the Salsa board have extensive saddle time or experience with the Al and CF Horsethief and if so what are the primary riding and handling differences between the two bikes? I don't want to be short-sided about the CF frame, but I keep wondering will the lighter stiffer carbon wheels more than make up for some of the AL frame deficits. Lastly given I ride all over Arizona in extremely rocky conditions, I firmly believe that an AL frame will outlive the CF frame over time.

Lastly, does the AL frame really weight 6-6.25 lbs any real world results around that claim?

Thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    If you're on Facebook, try our Group.... it's pretty new but there's a few carbon owners... not sure if anyone put in a bunch of time on the AL version but might be worth a shot if people aren't checking in here.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1545299759042311

FWIW I live in Western CO and ride a lot of rocky stuff (and am a 250lb clyde). I just got a 2014 HT1. I doubt I would have seriously considered the carbon personally but cost would have been a major factor for me. I'm not immune to crashing either and I'm sure I'd bounce it off a rock and probably crack it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I can not speak to the frame only weight but my size Large Alum. Horsethief weighs +/- 27 lbs with RS Pike, XX1, Hope brakes (4 piston front/2 piston rear) DB Inline and carbon wheelset. So, if I had to guess frame weight is probably near the "claimed" numbers.

With that said, I would still like the carbon frame for the added stiffness and the 3/4lb weight savings.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks Cobi, I am not on Facebook, my wife is, can I use her account?

Quote Originally Posted by cobi View Post
    If you're on Facebook, try our Group.... it's pretty new but there's a few carbon owners... not sure if anyone put in a bunch of time on the AL version but might be worth a shot if people aren't checking in here.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1545299759042311

FWIW I live in Western CO and ride a lot of rocky stuff (and am a 250lb clyde). I just got a 2014 HT1. I doubt I would have seriously considered the carbon personally but cost would have been a major factor for me. I'm not immune to crashing either and I'm sure I'd bounce it off a rock and probably crack it.

mtbr member
    Sure, not a problem (in fact that was probably you I just added).

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks Dambala - Your bike configuration is very close to what I have in mind...what carbon wheels or rims are you riding and would you make the investment again?

Thanks for replying...

Quote Originally Posted by Dambala View Post
    I can not speak to the frame only weight but my size Large . Horsethief weighs +/- 27 lbs with RS Pike, XX1, Hope brakes (4 piston front/2 piston rear) DB Inline and carbon wheelset. So, if I had to guess frame weight is probably near the "claimed" numbers.

With that said, I would still like the carbon frame for the added stiffness and the 3/4lb weight savings.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CDIDriver View Post
    Thanks Dambala - Your bike configuration is very close to what I have in mind...what carbon wheels or rims are you riding and would you make the investment again?

Thanks for replying...
    I am running the LB Hookless AM rims with Hope hubs and they have been great.
    Running the lighter version of these rims on my Spearfish and they have performed perfectly. Best Tubeless set up I've experienced and the stiffness of the wheelset completely changes how the bike steers and handles. I am planning on building up another set of the wider 30mm or 31.5mm rims.