Thread: Horsethief

mtbr member
    Sep 2017

Horsethief

So is this going to go away or what? It hasnít been updated for 2018, not that we need a new model every damn year, but just seems like it might be something salsa wants to get rid of.

mtbr member
    I know saddle drive is going on, perhaps something will be announced today or at some Point this week, if I hear something, I'll update.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Great, thanks

rth009
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Iron View Post
    So is this going to go away or what? It hasnít been updated for 2018, not that we need a new model every damn year, but just seems like it might be something salsa wants to get rid of.
    Why do you think they'd want to get rid of it? 29er trail bikes are one of the most useful/popular categories of "mountain bike." That said, they may have sold more 27.5+ PRs as they didnt have a high end horsethief model last year as I recall. I suspect they will release an updated model with clearance for 2.6, maybe "superboost" rear spacing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Just guessing, based on them not updating it. Hope youíre right, though. 2.6Ē would be cool.

rth009
    May 2010
    Anybody heard more on this? Or any of salsa's plans for full squish bikes in 2019?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Tuned in. Just bought a spot rocker steel hardtail and am this close to buyig closeout deadwood frame for all my parts, but would prefer a new ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I heard on a recent podcast they slipped and said the Pony Rustler is going down to the just the Rustler name. Most interesting though is that it is going to be super boost in the rear.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Iím thinking it will be unveiled at Sea Otter in early April. Thatís the next big industry gathering, high publicity event on the calendar. 140mm FS 27+/29 do it all trail bike. A bike similar to and in direct competition with Pivot Trail429, Santa Cruz Hightower, Specialized Stumpjumper, (name other big manuf. ďcatch all, do allĒ trail bike here).

Iím looking forward to seeing what they came up with. What their take is on the trail bike segment for the next 2-4 years. Will it have features that align with Salsaís ďadventure by bike sloganĒ, or will it be sportier to compete with the other big manufacturers, and leave the adventure bikes to rest of the line up?

Curious to see price point. When I got my Horsethief back in Ď15, the frame was less expensive than the big player boutique brand equivalents. I put that $ into higher end components. It seams Salsaís prices are getting closer and closer to the mid tier boutique brands. Do they consider themselves part of that group?

Letís find all this out soon!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    My guess is we will see a whole bunch of new things from QBP brands at Frost Bike in February. Thatís a mid winter Trade show that QBP putís on.