mtbr member

Help finding a a freehub body or pawls for a Salsa branded hub?

I've got a "Rhymes With Orange" Surly Karate (2017, I think?) that came stock with Salsa hubs and I recently ended up with the freehub freeing itself in both directions. I got inside and found one pawl broken in half and the other two pretty worn down.

My LBS wasn't able to identify a source for a new freehub body or for a new set of pawls. They were able to pull a set of pawls off of another hub that had died of other causes so I'm back up and running for now.

My concern, though, is that I have a history of not being kind and gentle with freehubs so it's probably a matter of time before this happens again and I want to be prepared if possible.

It's a Salsa branded hub but I believe it was actually made by Formula. I'm under the impression that Formula makes hubs that get sold under lots of different brand names so I suspect that somewhere out there, there has to be a source for either freehub bodies or pawls. Anyone know where I can find them? Or anyone know of other branded hubs that would use the same part so I can check for parts for those?

Thanks!
    Fat, tired.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by farley View Post
    I've got a "Rhymes With Orange" Surly Karate (2017, I think?) that came stock with Salsa hubs and I recently ended up with the freehub freeing itself in both directions. I got inside and found one pawl broken in half and the other two pretty worn down.

My LBS wasn't able to identify a source for a new freehub body or for a new set of pawls. They were able to pull a set of pawls off of another hub that had died of other causes so I'm back up and running for now.

My concern, though, is that I have a history of not being kind and gentle with freehubs so it's probably a matter of time before this happens again and I want to be prepared if possible.

It's a Salsa branded hub but I believe it was actually made by Formula. I'm under the impression that Formula makes hubs that get sold under lots of different brand names so I suspect that somewhere out there, there has to be a source for either freehub bodies or pawls. Anyone know where I can find them? Or anyone know of other branded hubs that would use the same part so I can check for parts for those?

Thanks!
    I just put one of these on my Bucksaw with Salsa hubs. Works good...

https://www.jensonusa.com/Race-Face-...tm_medium=AVLK