Help - Conversion of Fargo to flat bars and maybe suspension fork.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Help - Conversion of Fargo to flat bars and maybe suspension fork.

I have a new Fargo that needs to be converted to a flat bar bike due to a disability the owner developed after buying the bike. I'll be doing the conversion including all the recommendations for purchases and actual wrenching. Any advice/comments. I am starting my research here and will also be doing more net searching but this forum has some very experienced folks so....
    The frame is big for the rider and it has a short stem on the current drop bars. The large frame will be advantageous and possibly make a long stem on the flat bar create a reach that will be reasonable.
    BB7 Brakes are easy and failing any consensus on better brakes I'll probably install them. I figure X7 shifters and brakes as a good middle of the road price point purchase but I'm very interested to hear of other suggestions.
    I have no clue as to bars. This is for a older female rider. 5' 4"
    I'll put good cables on. Nokon? It will be a spendy conversion but that's OK. One of the issues she has is hand strength. There is no downhill bombing but she does big mountains on rough roads that require long periods of on/off braking so well modulated powerful brakes that don't require too much gripping effort is important.
    I'm also going to have to research suspension fork choices so I can provide that option and potential costs.
    Comments?

CS2
    mtbr member
    Hydraulic brakes sound like a better choice.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    It might be more cost effective to sell the fargo and buy a flat bar bike. A salsa el mariachi 3 is well appointed for about $17-1800, The Fargo would need a long stem to compensate for the short top tube which can adversely affect the handling.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I did this for myself before moving to a Krampus.
    I ended up using the same stem length with the Jones Loop Bars, after going longer and shorter to get a good fit.
    I picked up some BB7 MTB brakes, and had some levers.

Going hydro might be good for someone with hand issues, but I haven't used hydros, so I don't know how big a difference it would make.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I would also recommend Jones bars. I have 7500 miles on a version 1 with alt bars. On my new Fargo I went with Jones bars and a longer stem. I really wanted to like drops but didn't. I also agree that an El Mariachi is a more cost efficient way to go, if the fit is right. But I don't notice any adverse handling because of the bar change. It does slow the handling down slightly, just not negatively.

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    I will add in my support for both shimano hydro's and jones bars. Hydro's are, imo, mandatory if you are dealing with hand issues.