Hard time deciding between fat and almost fat- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2015

Hard time deciding between fat and almost fat

So I have the opportunity to potentially get a new bike this spring. The options are overwhelming to sift through, but I have it narrowed down to a couple different options from Salsa. I am on the fence between a Beargrease Carbon NX1 or a Salsa Fargo Rival 27.5+. Both have a 1x drivetrain, and are very comparable in weight. I really want this to be a year round stead, which is what is making me sway towards the fat bike. I will be selling my Trek Crossrip to help fund the purchase, and I fear I will miss the drop bars, hence the appeal of the Fargo.

Anyone have any experience with the two different models?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I have a Fargo, of the old, pre-27.5+ kind, and now a Timberjack, 27.5+. I think a 27.5+ Fargo would be a very versatile bike, in just about any weather. Obviously, a true fatty could get around better in deep snow... but a 27.5+ will do fine in most other things I think. That's my $0.02. I woukd probably go Fargo. But, us Fargo people tend to be a bit crazy. ;-)
    2012 Salsa Fargo 2
    2017 Salsa Timberjack
    2009 Giant Yukon
    2015 Motobecane FB4 Fatbike

Ambassador of Chub
    For me the breakdown is simple - if you ride on snow or deep sand, you need full fat. If you just want a little more plush ride and better traction for riding dirt, then go plus.

But if you want a bike for all of the above, get the Beargrease, and get a plus wheelset built up for it to run in the summer. I have several friends who've done this with their BGs, and turned them into year-round steeds and love it.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I'm not sure if it makes it any easier to decide! The main goal I see for this bike is a full blown adventure rig with long days in the saddle. It doesn't have to be a singletrack monster, but I want it to be capable of going the extra mile (i.e. snow).

I'm leaning closer to the Beargrease as far as the price and year round versatility part is concerned, but the Fargo screams adventure.

If only I could have all of them! I will also talk with the guys at the LBS when making this decision, and hopefully take a spin on both before making a decision. I know that regardless of what I choose, I will end up with a pretty awesome ride.

I've got a gen 2 fargo and I was considering going 27.5+ but bought a 2016 Kona Wo on closeout instead. I guess my thought is that the Fargo (especially with two wheelsets) is awesome for everything until it's not. With the right tires it's ice/snow capable to a point. I like the fat tire for deeper snow and rough trails. With a 26" full fat, you can always buy a 29" wheelset and get both bikes with a little compromise.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Hard time deciding between fat and almost fat

FWIW I have an El Mariachi that I converted to 27.5+ and a Mukluk. I love them both! Truly the fatbike is way more versatile than I would have ever imagined and I have easily taken it through the most challenging terrain. Climbing, it beats my full suspension and El Mar. The fun factor is super high as well.

Still, I would consider the El Mariachi to be the best overall ride on all surfaces, especially when you factor in pavement. The fatbike is not much fun on pavement - at times maddening. But even beyond that, the El Mar handles superbly under load and is my main bikepacking rig. The B+ tire size is fantastic - stable, super grippy and confidence inspiring. The fatbike is all of this on steroids, but the B+ still is a big enough change from 29er to make you go wow.

Truly they are both fantastic rides and I doubt you will be disappointed with either choice. And it's true, you could build up a set of 27.5+ or 29er wheels for the Beargrease in the future and have two bikes for the price of one and a third...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Thanks everyone for the input. I am really thinking the Beargrease will be the stead of choice. I will report back when I get an order placed and picked up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I ended up with full fat! Put in an order for a Beargrease X5. I know it's the aluminum version and not the carbon that I was after initially, but the 3 pound weight savings for 600 dollars wasn't really worth it to me. I would rather loose that weight elsewhere (like my gut). I can't wait to get out and hit the snow covered trails though!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Excellent choice! While the carbon Beargrease gets a lot of love, its aluminum sibling is often overlooked. I have owned both and sold the carbon BG and kept the aluminum. I prefer the feel of the aluminum bike, which is lively, to the carbon which felt numbish to me.

bigger than you.
    Hard time deciding between fat and almost fat-race.jpgHard time deciding between fat and almost fat-20160209_204335.jpgI built a Salsa Bucksaw with i45 27.5 wheels and have a bike that is both plus and fat with the same wheel set.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic
    I built a Salsa Bucksaw with i45 27.5 wheels and have a bike that is both plus and fat with the same wheel set.
    That is a great looking bike!

is that a raceface crank/bashguard?
    My name is George. Iím unemployed and I live with my parents.
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Just wanted to update this and show off the new ride! Crazy to think I went from skinny gravel tires to these! Makes me wonder how this would handle as a dropbar monster cross beast. Only been around a parking lot unfortunately as I haven't had a great opportunity to ride, and the trails are in a weird melty/muddy stage with the excess rain we have had here. It may have to wait until a new snow storm rolls through or spring. Either way though, so stoked with the new bike.

mtbr member
    I have a build that is similar to Gigantic, but mine has b-fat tires. 27.5 x 3.8 on 27.5 x 50 light bicycle rims.
    Hard time deciding between fat and almost fat-60f59668-1a51-4508-9f27-f1ac92c18b87_zpshnuuzkqm.jpg

bigger than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_joe View Post
    That is a great looking bike!

is that a raceface crank/bashguard?
    yes, it's an OG Raceface Turbine that I've had for a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_America1976 View Post
    I have a build that is similar to Gigantic, but mine has b-fat tires. 27.5 x 3.8 on 27.5 x 50 light bicycle rims.
    I've also got the 27.5 fat tires (see bottom photo in my post), but since we don't really get snow anymore, I prefer Plus. Sweet rims!

mtbr member
    Thanks Gigantic. I am going to ride it for a bit like this, but I know I will loose weight going B+. Maybe this summer.

mtbr member
    I don't think you'll regret getting the BG. As Gigantic said, you can put a plus wheelset on the BG, but you can't put a fat wheelset on the Fargo. Starting a BG build of my own:

Hard time deciding between fat and almost fat-img_1389.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by SocratesDiedTrolling View Post
    But, us Fargo people tend to be a bit crazy. ;-)
    That is a true story!