Going tubeless with stock Timberjack GX 1 tires- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2018

Going tubeless with stock Timberjack GX 1 tires

Has anyone here converted the WTB rangers that come on the Timberjack GX1 to a tubeless setup. When I bought this bike, the guy at the lbs told me the rims were tubeless ready but not the tires. I figured I'd go tubeless when it was time for new tires. I've read on here a few folks say they were tubeless ready, and thought the guy at the lbs didn't know what he was talking about. However, I did notice the tires that came on the bike also don't have the WTB "TCS" emblem on them, so maybe the guy at the lbs was right. That all being said, I haven't found where WTB makes a ranger tire that ISN'T tubeless ready. What do you guys think? My back tire was flat by the end of my ride yesterday so I'm going to need a new tube at a minimum. Is it worth paying the lbs to try to set them up tubeless (I don't have a tool to set the bead to do it myself)? Thanks.
    Last edited by MX9799; 06-24-2018 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Grammar

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Well, since the tires weren't tubeless ready, I had the lbs set them up for me. I've never done a tubeless conversion myself before, so I figured I'd pay them to try and tackle it myself with tires meant to be set up tubeless next time when it's time for new tires. They said the oem wtb rangers set up just fine and held air no problem. Can't wait to get on the trail this weekend and see how much different the bike feels and if I like the tubeless setup better. I can say the bike lost over a pound on the scales, but taking it for a test drive on the short kids trails in the woods at my house, it felt a little weird and slow with less air pressure in the tires.

mtbr member
    My WTB Ranger tires started leaking sealant through the sidewalls

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by ST_Paul View Post
    My WTB Ranger tires started leaking sealant through the sidewalls

How do you reckon that happened?

mtbr member
    Not sure, same thing happened with my wife's Cannondale, same tires. It happened after a few days. I was told it was because their not tubeless ready

rth009
    May 2010
    That happens sometimes with non tubeless ready tires. No big deal, but you will want to make sure you refresh your tubeless juice occasionally. It will also happen with tubeless ready tires that are worn. I've got a set of tubeless ready Nobby Nics that leak through tread area, although not where the knobs are. If the bike sits for more than a day without riding, the tire looks wet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    hmmmm. That's weird. My non-TCS tires were converted to tubeless on Tuesday, and as of last night I haven't noticed them leaking any sealant or looking wet, and they've been on the bike on the stand since I brought them home from the shop. I'll keep an eye out for it though. Thanks for the heads up.

mtbr member
    Just wondering, how much did your LBS charge you to go tubeless?

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Just wondering, how much did your LBS charge you to go tubeless?

I think the total for the conversion on both wheels was $55.

I put about 5 miles on them on the local trails this morning before a huge endo at a low water creek crossing cut my day short. I would've done more but I was banged up and drenched after wrecking in the water.

Maybe I need more time on the tubeless setup, but I honestly wasn't all that blown away by the difference from tubes. It didn't feel all that much different to me. The front end felt like it had better bite under hard braking situations, but that's about all I noticed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Well, just thought I would update the thread. The WTB Rangers that I had converted to tubeless, even though they don't say they are tubeless ready on the tire, have worked great for the last 6 months or so. I've been running them at around 15-16 psi, and haven't had any flats, punctures, or issues. I also haven't seen any sealant seeping through the sidewalls or tread. The only thing I've noticed, is that when I don't get to ride for a while (a lot lately with all the rain we've got this year and the trails being closed), like a week or more, the air pressure in the tires drops to below 10 psi as the bike sits in the basement. I figure there is a very small air leak somewhere, but I don't know where it is, and it never drops a measurable amount during even a long ride.

There are some rekon 2.8 tires in the discount bin at the local lbs. I'm thinking about picking those up and running them to see if I can get more traction up front. Does anyone else have an issue with tires very slowly loosing pressure while a bike sits? I'm wondering if it is an issue with the non TCS WTB tires, or if that's a normal thing with all tires set up tubeless. The slow pressure drop never happened when I ran tubes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MX9799 View Post
    Well, just thought I would update the thread. The WTB Rangers that I had converted to tubeless, even though they don't say they are tubeless ready on the tire, have worked great for the last 6 months or so. I've been running them at around 15-16 psi, and haven't had any flats, punctures, or issues. I also haven't seen any sealant seeping through the sidewalls or tread. The only thing I've noticed, is that when I don't get to ride for a while (a lot lately with all the rain we've got this year and the trails being closed), like a week or more, the air pressure in the tires drops to below 10 psi as the bike sits in the basement. I figure there is a very small air leak somewhere, but I don't know where it is, and it never drops a measurable amount during even a long ride.

There are some rekon 2.8 tires in the discount bin at the local lbs. I'm thinking about picking those up and running them to see if I can get more traction up front. Does anyone else have an issue with tires very slowly loosing pressure while a bike sits? I'm wondering if it is an issue with the non TCS WTB tires, or if that's a normal thing with all tires set up tubeless. The slow pressure drop never happened when I ran tubes.
    Your lucky, my Ranger tires leak sealant through the sidewalls. But I've heard it's common to lose air pressure, I even lose air pressure with tubes. Those rekons should be better then the Rangers and if your getting them at a discount even better, although the Rangers are really good summer tires, I just wish they had a little bit more aggressive side knobs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Your lucky, my Ranger tires leak sealant through the sidewalls. But I've heard it's common to lose air pressure, I even lose air pressure with tubes. Those rekons should be better then the Rangers and if your getting them at a discount even better, although the Rangers are really good summer tires, I just wish they had a little bit more aggressive side knobs.

I can get those rekon tires for $60 in the discount bin. I'm probably gonna pull the trigger on them soon. There is a High Roller II 2.8 in there too for the same price, and I just need to figure out if I want to put the High Roller II on the front, or just run the rekons front and back. I'm a little hesitant because I still seem to have plenty of knob life left on the Rangers. They're not the best tires for soft stuff, but they do roll pretty fast, and they do ride just fine for the majority of the trails I ride for most of the year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MX9799 View Post
    I can get those rekon tires for $60 in the discount bin. I'm probably gonna pull the trigger on them soon. There is a High Roller II 2.8 in there too for the same price, and I just need to figure out if I want to put the High Roller II on the front, or just run the rekons front and back. I'm a little hesitant because I still seem to have plenty of knob life left on the Rangers. They're not the best tires for soft stuff, but they do roll pretty fast, and they do ride just fine for the majority of the trails I ride for most of the year.
    I would go with that High Roller in the front, you'll be glad to have that extra traction in the corners. I got some Nobby Nics coming but I probably won't put them on till it starts getting nasty, which won't be for a while since I live in Florida. I will definitely miss how fast the Rangers are though.