Fargo3 brakes - disappointed- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Fargo3 brakes - disappointed

My wife and I almost decided not to get the Fargo. The brakes were so mushy but were assured they would burn in and although they'd never feel like mtb bike brakes, would be just fine. Not to me. I bought TRP HY/RD in the hopes they would make a difference and installed SRAM compressionless housing. After installing the HY/RD, they begin to grab with the brake lever so far in it's crazy and even with a solid hard grab on the front brake they don't lock up. Granted these are now new brake pads and rotors but I'm not even going to bother installing the rear HY/RD at this point. Road disc are sorely disappointing. On a recent decent on a dirt road...long dirt road with some pretty steep sections, my wife was simply terrified and she's pretty experienced. I backed out the adjustment for the HY/RD a full 1.5 turns and ensured the small knurled knob could in fact be locked in to show that they were still safely adjusted but I am at a loss at to how to get good braking and how others could be satisfied.
    Here's where the HY/RD brakes engage. Seem reasonable to you?
    Fargo3 brakes - disappointed-img_1512web.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    This sounds more like a complaint about the HY/RD brakes than the Fargo brakes, or at least way more detail is there. Did you ride it with the stock BB7 or switch prior? It's not really clear exactly what configurations and components you are having issues with...you take about installing HY/RD, then that you won't bother to install the HY/RD...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I was unhappy with the BB7 road brakes, thus I got the HY/RD but they engage even later than the BB7. At least with the BB7, if I put up with a very, very finicky, close to rubbing brake pad I can get them to they engage at an almost reasonable distance from the handlebar. The HY/RD come very, very close to bottoming out. I don't have time to continue to fight with the HY/RD and have put the BB7 back on.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    i have 7500 miles on my fargo, all with the original bb7 brakes. while i sorely miss the feel of good hydraulic brakes, the bb7s have never failed to stop me safely. but i do sometimes think about a 180 mm rotor for the front. i might be interested in your trp brakes if you really don't want them.
    harry

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    i run a vaya with BB7 Road brakes and sram levers.....i have no complaints after about 3500 miles of mostly iowa gravel roads

Human Test Subject
    I run hy/rds on my Vaya. Yours are probably set up wrong because they're amazing for me.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    All I will say is minor adjustments with pad placement make a heck of a difference in terms of lever pull. I'd check that first, then go from there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I've seen some other similar complaints about HYRD and lever pull...and also others satisfied with them. No experience with them, but it seems that they may have some tricks to getting them set up correctly (or some people are perfectly fine with way long pull).

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by killarbb View Post
    i run a vaya with BB7 Road brakes and sram levers.....i have no complaints after about 3500 miles of mostly iowa gravel roads
    I doubt anyone has reason to complain about any brakes whatsoever on flat roads. My BB7 Roads on my Vaya (with bigger 185mm front rotor) get the job done even with a touring load on board, but they're inconsistent, fussy, squeaky, and require colossal force to stop on very steep downhills. Someone with smaller hands could easily be terrified of these brakes.

Lots of room for improvement here and I'm always curious about the alternatives

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I have about 4000 miles on my Ti Fargo running the stock brake setup (SRAM levers, 160mm rotors, BB7 calipers). I've ridden over a lot of hilly gravel roads and pavement (with and without a full Tour Divide level worth of gear), along with a week on the GDMBR in Montana, plus a trip up and down Going to the Sun Road in Glacier.

I've personally never found the braking system lacking. I've always just followed a standard bedding in procedure, and then made sure that I've followed Avid's caliper adjustment procedure, and make sure that I readjust them once the brakes start feeling a bit "off" (which for me has been about once every 30 - 45 days). I occasionally have a little bit of rotor rub, but nothing that is super serious. I'm on my second set of pads since I bought the bike in February, replacing them before I went to Montana in late July.

YMMV.