Fargo or Vaya ?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Fargo or Vaya ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Fargo or Vaya ?

Am I right that the while both bikes will do both - the Fargo is mainly aimed off road - the Vaya, more a tourer on the bitumen?
    As an older rider I am looking for the most comfortable ride I can get - 50% off road, mainly on hard dirt tracks and whatever bitumen I have to ride in order to get there.So, probably 50/50, cheers

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have one ride in on my new Fargo and just looked at the Vaya at the shop. I would go test ride each of them to get a feel for ride position, handling, and all that. I would think either would be fine for what you are looking to do though. If you are planning loaded off road touring I would say the Fargo for sure. The Fargo with the big tires also has a very comfortable ride feel which is great on rough stuff. I have ridden a good amount of stuff on my cycle cross off road which I would assume is very similar in that way to the Vaya and although its fine the Fargo is just a different story. Its plush like a mountain bike with big tires. They act as giant shock absorbers. Let me know what you decide on. If I can help any more please let me know.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Apparently the Vaya is not available here in Aust tip next year, so if I'm convinced that it is the way to go then I could have one sent over from the States - hence the question, cheers

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I had both and the general assessment is pretty correct. The Vaya feels faster on pavement and the Fargo is more agile off road, but I ride it on the pavement all the time. With tires like the Serfas Drifters, the Fargo is a bike you can ride from home to the trail.

In the end, I felt they were too similar to keep both and went with a cyclocross frame to have a road bike that was still offroad capable. (To be truthful I just had to have a Ti bike). I set it up just like the VAYA - cowbell, 40mm tires and similar drivetrain specs.

There is however an alternative "single bike" solution - get the Fargo and an extra set of wheels for narrower, road biased tires - I like the continental speedride on my CX bike.

Mike

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Ive been trying - but I can't demo ride a Vaya at all - so my decision will have to wait till I can, but it seems to me that the Fargo is to close to my current Surly Karate Monkey - so theres no point buying the same or similar bike twice - so, if I keep my KM for the meatier off road stuff, then I might get ( after I can ride one) a Vaya for more on the road and packed dirt trail riding, cheers

mtbr member
    May 2011
    and by on/off road I would stress the definition of road meaning any sort of wide path of any material. If you are hitting trails and doubletrack, then you are more in the Fargo domain than Vaya. The Vaya is my primary gravel road rig.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I understand, and yes, the Vaya potentially would be for extended bitumen roads and hard packed dirt tracks, I would keep my KM for all other, rougher off bitumen stuff, cheers

mtbr member
    May 2010

Fargo or Vaya ?

I've ridden both.... My theory is that it's easier to put narrower tires on the Fargo than it is to put fatter ones on the vaya.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD