Fargo with swept back bars- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Fargo with swept back bars

I am looking at replacing my frankenbike commuter (a heavily modified specialized rock hopper) with a Fargo. What I like most about the rochhopper are the 2" x 26" tires at 25-30psi for that magic carpet ride. I added disk brakes and front/rear rack mounts and a custom quill stem I made to get the bars high. I have done away with drops/flatbars and am riding with swept back bars and am really enjoying the upright laid back position.

It seems that the Fargo will accommodate most of these desires. One of the main reasons the Fargo is appealing is that I am 6' 3" (long legs short torso) and 29x2 tires would fit better. The tall head tube will be great, but I am a little worried about the short top tube and how that will be affected by the more upright and shorter reach that the swept back bars will provide. Any comments on how the Fargo will handle with a more upright position that the swept bars would provide?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Not sure but hope to see pics if it happens. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I have well over 3000 miles on my Fargo with upside down
    Mary bars on it. Pretty comfortable for touring and general riding. Handles Singletrack better with the drop bars. It is like comparing the handling of a compact car to a sports car. That said, I presently have drop bars but am thinking of switching to
    Jones loop bars . Going with a longer stem helps.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I had a Rivendell Albatross bar on a Fargo for a while. It was very comfy, but boy was I upright on that setup. Handled fine. I finally went to a riser bar that's about level with the saddle, and I like that fine.

Much is made of the "short" top tube measurement on Fargo frames, but it's really not a big deal in most situations. It's really about the same as the typical top tube measurement on 26" mountain bike frames of similar size. On my Albatross set up, it caused me to use the longest stem I had in my stash, and a longer one would probably have been better. The tall head tube is a much bigger factor in how a given Fargo set up ends up fitting and of course looking. The tall head tube is a big reason I have bought two Fargo frames and one complete bike. I have neck problems that often trigger migraines, so the taller the better when it comes to head tubes for me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Fargo with swept back bars

Well, I am going in a slightly different direction and resurrected my surly KM and am building that up instead of the Fargo. Just bought some tubing and will end up making some bars