Fargo Questions: Tires & Brifters- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Fargo Questions: Tires & Brifters

I have a first generation Fargo. I use it mostly for road (commuting) and light trails. I have two questions:

1) What tires are recommended for commuting? Can I put some 700x28 or 700x32 tires on the stock rims and will they produce predictable results?

2) I am thinking of swapping the bar-ends for some brifters. I am thinking of two options. Am I crazy? Better solution? Purchasing some Shimano 105 10 speed brifters and adding a new 10 speed cassette and chain? How about some Campy brifters (I run campy on everything else), shiftmate, new cassette and chain. What do you guys suggest? anyone done this?

Cheers,

Guy

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Maybe just do Tiagra levers and keep your drivetrain the way it is. That way you can use a big cassette. The capacity is limited with Shimano 10spd road... unless you put a 10t pulley on it to increase the capacity slightly. The other option, if you want 10spd, is to do SRAM Apex. It has a large capacity rear derailleur.

I like VIttoria Randonneur Hyper tires. With that bike I'd want to run at least 38c just because the bottom bracket isn't super high. Maybe even run Schwalbe Marathon Supreme or Big Apple LiteSkins in 2.0.

mtbr member
    The 9-speed Tiagra levers are great. I built up my Fargo with them in the beginning of last year and have had no problems at all.
    My outdoor blog: www.yetirides.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Outsider View Post
    The 9-speed Tiagra levers are great. I built up my Fargo with them in the beginning of last year and have had no problems at all.
    Thank you both for the comments. much appreciated. Love your blog. What cool adventures!

Guy

those are Rollercams...
    Quote Originally Posted by Outsider View Post
    Do the Tiagra levers work with discs or do they require an adapter like the Travel Agent?

Truly a wealth of useless information.

http://blackdogadventureteam.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

bb7 road

you can use the BB5 or BB7 Road version. They're the gray colored version of the BB disc brakes. They are made for short pull levers found on all road brifters.

those are Rollercams...
    Quote Originally Posted by efraguiluz View Post
    you can use the BB5 or BB7 Road version. They're the gray colored version of the BB disc brakes. They are made for short pull levers found on all road brifters.
    Duh! I completely forgot about the road versions. Thanks.

Truly a wealth of useless information.

http://blackdogadventureteam.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by efraguiluz View Post
    Does this mean that if I go with Tiagra Shifters then I need to change out something on my brakes too? I am trying to figure out what the post above means. More detail is much appreciated.

GG

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyGadois View Post
    Does this mean that if I go with Tiagra Shifters then I need to change out something on my brakes too? I am trying to figure out what the post above means. More detail is much appreciated.

GG
    From a stock Fargo that came with bar end shifters you would need to change the brake calipers. Stock calipers work with the stock levers which pull more cable than a Tiagra lever will. That's why you need the BB-5 or BB-7 road specific calipers with brifters.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyGadois View Post

GG
    I'm guessing you have the Gen 1 Fargo then like GT said you would have to swap out the bb7 mountain that have the black calipers withe the road versions which have a Gray caliper.
    http://www.sram.com/avid/category/283

Now if you don't want to replace the calipers the you could use something like this

http://problemsolversbike.com/products/travel_agents/

that would increase the cable travel and allow you to use the mountain bb7's you do have. however I think you probably better off getting the road version. Just make sure that they are the road version and not the mountain ones.

Members who have read this thread: 0