Fargo with Marathon Mondials???- Mtbr.com
    RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Fargo with Marathon Mondials???

Anyone have experience with Marathon Mondials for a Fargo? I have 2.1 Nanos on it now and looking for something in the 2" range that is a bit more road oriented as I am doing 70% road, 30% offroad.

I want to get a tire that can handle 90% of what I throw at it good, maybe not great if that makes sense.

Thanks!

Harmonius Wrench
    Ever think about the Terrene Honali? It is a very similar tire in intent to the Schwalbe.

Terrene Tires Honali 50mm: At The Finish -
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Never heard of those. They look exactly what I am looking for. How is the weight? I was also looking at the MSO 50mm too. Those look a little light for road touring though.

Thanks!

RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Guitar Ted, any thoughts on the Teravail Sparwoods? They look somewhat similar, however, a bit wider...which is nice for a bit more cushion I guess.

Harmonius Wrench
    RPG- The Honali Tough casing version is a touch over 700 grams each. They also make a even more armored version of that tire which, obviously, will weigh more. I do not know the weight of that tire.

Sparwoods have been redone by Teravail, so the new ones I have no feedback for you on. I have a lot of miles on the "old", original version, as does a friend of mine. We both did not like them much. Too stiff a casing and they tend to get real squirrelly on gravel. But if you want more "cush", the Sparwoods are not that tire, at least not the original version.

Jay Petervary (sponsored Teravail rider) assured me the new ones are "much better" (his words), but I haven't even handled any of the newest Teravails yet. I hope to soon.

Another interesting tire is the Soma Cazadero 50mm tire. These are claimed to be pretty light (570 grams) and my friend, the one with Sparwoods formerly, just got some of these in a skinwall version for his new Ti Fargo build. Soma Cazadero 50mm Tire - Tubeless Ready
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Do you know if the surly et's fit on the model year '14 fargos? Bomb pop blue to be exact. Thanks for all the help. I'm seeing more options now.

Harmonius Wrench
    No personal experience here but I have seen it posted on a forum where a guy tried the Extraterrestrials and apparently that tire doesn't fit the rear stays of a Fargo. If I run across where I saw that I'll see what model year Fargo it was, but it seems that the Extraterrestrial is a true 2.5"er and if so, it probably will be a no-go on the Bomb Pop blue Fargo.

I have the 26" version on a Surly 1X1 and it is a ginormous tire.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Ended up getting the Terrene Honali tires. Great call GT. Roll real nice on the road and packed dirt road/rail trail. Down fall is it does slide around in the greased trails, packed mud. Overall I like it better than the nano's.