Fargo lust- Mtbr.com

Thread: Fargo lust

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Fargo lust

I've been wanting a new bike for some time for mostly fall through spring gravel and b level roads. There is a new cutthroat on the dealer floor that looked pretty appealing. Last weekend I went on a rare group ride where the gravel was extremely soft and sloppy on my old cad3 Cannondale. One rider was on a Fargo rival 27.5 plus which handled the slop nicely. There were a couple of cuttys that didn't. I've kind of looked down my nose at 27.5 but that bike was cool! Is there anyone running fenders on such a rig? I'm not a fan of the seat post clipons-not enough protection. I'm really torn right now, not sure which way to go!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I was in your exact same dilemma, those plus sized tires look so fine! I ended up with a new 2016 Fargo (29 x 2.2 tires) at 20% off the full retail price. I based my decision on the following: I ride from my house to the local dirt or the rest of the western U.S., so there is going to be a lot time on smooth hardpack and a little pavement. Most of my riding could be done just fine on a cyclocross bike, but I really prefer the comfort and traction of an MTB set up. I like my Fargo, but the weight of the wheels (rims have to be way north of 500 grams) and over all package (30 pounds) makes climbing notably slower than any other unlaiden bike I've owned. Loaded for even a few days, the weight of the bike won't be so noticeable. Are you going to be riding in the soft and/or rough stuff a lot? If so then I would just opt for the plus size, I'm thinking re-sale would be better if you don't need or like it in the long run.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Kind of thinking the same thing. I've never ridden gravel on anything other than a mountainbike and currently most miles are done on an old Raleigh 29er SS. It's fun but it's beating my 58 year old body up! I'm blessed to live in an area with lots of good gravel and b level roads that get pretty knarly in the spring and fall. I have never sold a used bike- ride them until the frame breaks or cracks and move on and that's probably why I'm agonizing. It sounds like Fargos have pretty good resale if need be. Looks to be pretty versatile-could get a set of 29 wheels also. Thanks for the insight on your Fargo-think I will pull the trigger on one!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Kind of thinking the same thing. It would be an upgrade from the bike I put most of my miles on, an old Raleigh 29er SS which is fun but tends to beat me up! I have never ridden anything besides a MTB on gravel, my roads tend to get a little beat up in the spring and the plus size Fargo looks to be a good choice. Thanks for the insight on your Fargo.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Sorry about the duplicate post- thought my computer ate the first one!

rth009
    May 2010
    For the riding that the OP is discussing, I would consider Fargo in 29+ mode, unless you really want fenders, then I think you're limited to 29 x 2.2. Find a used Fargo (make sure its one of latest models that will fit 29 x 30) and get a new set of 29+ wheels and some clip on fenders for when its really wet.