Fargo Forks- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Fargo Forks

  1. #1
    Ambassador of Chub
    Reputation: Smithhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    2,823

    Fargo Forks

    There's various tibits of info here and there about various aftermarket forks that folks have put on their Fargos, but I thought it might be good to consolidate the info in one dedicated thread. And, with the Fargo thread at almost 200 pages now, it's not that practical to try and sift through it all.

    So who's running a non-stock fork on their Fargo? What is it, and what are your thoughts? How did it change your ride?
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

  2. #2
    .44
    Reputation: stremf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,246
    I don't have a Fargo, but did read a TDR report with a picture of a Fargo with a Niner fork on it. I wouldn't mind setting it up like that, although you lose the cage mounts.

    On a side note: I may have a Fargo frameset in about 2 weeks, if things go right. If I end up with it, it will be a fun winter project.

  3. #3
    Ambassador of Chub
    Reputation: Smithhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    2,823
    Yeah, the Niner has been on my radar for a while, as is the Whisky. Josh Kato, who won the TDR this year, ran a Niner on his Ti Fargo. But I also read an interview with him where he mentioned that his wife ran a MRP carbon fork on her bike, and he thought it might actually be a little more compliant than his Niner.

    Since I'm not a serious racer, I'm not sure I'm actually going to get $550 worth of improvement over my current fork out of either the Niner or the Whisky, which is why I'm also looking at options from MRP and Carver. I'm really just looking for something lighter, and a little more compliant, than my steel Salsa fork. I don't particularly like using the fork mounts anyway, if I can help it.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

  4. #4
    Jon BALER
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    196
    Keep in mind that Fargo's have come with 3 lengths of forks over the years. The Gen 1 was non-suspension corrected (mine), and then they had 80 mm corrected, and now they are 100mm (I think).

  5. #5
    .44
    Reputation: stremf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,246
    Quote Originally Posted by Smithhammer View Post
    Yeah, the Niner has been on my radar for a while, as is the Whisky. Josh Kato, who won the TDR this year, ran a Niner on his Ti Fargo. But I also read an interview with him where he mentioned that his wife ran a MRP carbon fork on her bike, and he thought it might actually be a little more compliant than his Niner.

    Since I'm not a serious racer, I'm not sure I'm actually going to get $550 worth of improvement over my current fork out of either the Niner or the Whisky, which is why I'm also looking at options from MRP and Carver. I'm really just looking for something lighter, and a little more compliant, than my steel Salsa fork. I don't particularly like using the fork mounts anyway, if I can help it.
    If true compliance is what you're looking for, don't overlook a custom steel fork. Many framebuilders offer this for around $300 or so. Difference between stock production steel and custom is amazing. Plus, you can get the offset/trail/AC length the way you want.

    However, if the trails are that rough, I'll probably just take my fatbike!

  6. #6
    Ambassador of Chub
    Reputation: Smithhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    2,823
    Quote Originally Posted by renegade44 View Post
    Keep in mind that Fargo's have come with 3 lengths of forks over the years. The Gen 1 was non-suspension corrected (mine), and then they had 80 mm corrected, and now they are 100mm (I think).
    Yeah, mine is a Gen 3, which has me wondering how the Niner would work, given that is seems to only come in a 470mm axle-to-crown (my stock fork is 486mm, a-c). I'm pretty happy with my geometry the way it is, and I don't want to steepen the head tube angle if I don't have to.

    Quote Originally Posted by stremf View Post
    If true compliance is what you're looking for, don't overlook a custom steel fork. Many framebuilders offer this for around $300 or so. Difference between stock production steel and custom is amazing. Plus, you can get the offset/trail/AC length the way you want.
    For some reason, that hadn't even crossed my mind, but it's a good suggestion. More homework to do....

    Quote Originally Posted by stremf View Post
    However, if the trails are that rough, I'll probably just take my fatbike!
    That's precisely the way I look at it as well.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    986
    +1 on the custom steel fork. Over the years the best rigid fork I have owned and ridden was a segmented steel Waltworks fork. It provided accurate handling with great compliance through the rough sections and was still a reasonably light fork. I am not in love with the cf firestarter fork on my ti fargo and have considered going with a steel waltworks or possibly a black sheep custom ti fork.

  8. #8
    Tires
    Reputation: Gritter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    546
    Quote Originally Posted by N10S View Post
    +1 on the custom steel fork. Over the years the best rigid fork I have owned and ridden was a segmented steel Waltworks fork. It provided accurate handling with great compliance through the rough sections and was still a reasonably light fork. I am not in love with the cf firestarter fork on my ti fargo and have considered going with a steel waltworks or possibly a black sheep custom ti fork.
    Could you elaborate on what you dislike about the Salsa Firestarter carbon fork? I had a black sheep titanium 29er fork and couldn't stand how flexy it was. It was like riding a wet noodle up front. I sold it and haven't been keen on trying another titanium fork since. Black sheep does great work and their bikes are sexy - the fork I had would have benefited with one of their fork trusses. Mine was a unicrown. I bet their trussed forks don't have the same issues.
    Soma, Surly, Salsa, Schwalbe, SRAM, Sun-Ringlé

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    986
    Quote Originally Posted by Gritter View Post
    Could you elaborate on what you dislike about the Salsa Firestarter carbon fork? I had a black sheep titanium 29er fork and couldn't stand how flexy it was. It was like riding a wet noodle up front. I sold it and haven't been keen on trying another titanium fork since. Black sheep does great work and their bikes are sexy - the fork I had would have benefited with one of their fork trusses. Mine was a unicrown. I bet their trussed forks don't have the same issues.
    Good info on the black sheep fork. I have had two black sheep frames, but never with one of the ti forks. I would have to reconsider based on your comments. As you noted the truss fork, like the jones truss is probably great, but I can't see myself coughing up that kind of cash for a fork upgrade.

    Regarding my comments about the firestarter, I don't like the fork because it's cf and because it's a thru axle design. I just did a 7 mile single track loop with some pretty rough sections and once again I can see that the axle handle has started to loosen. I have tightened it very tightly and it still comes loose.

    Regarding the carbon fork, I have had my share of get offs over the years, some fairly spectacular for an old guy. Two years ago I took a spill on my Jamis dragon which was set up with a really nice pace RC29. The result of the accident was a fork that was tweeked in crown and fork drop outs. Not broken or cracked but ruined nonetheless. I have never had that kind of issue with a steel rigid or suspension fork. I have owned and ridden the Rc 29, a white brothers , and niner carbon forks and other than liking the niner pretty well am really just not a big fan of cf forks.

    I guess maybe my bigger issue really is the design of the newer Fargo. In my opinion it really doesn't need the tapered head tube and thru axle set up. They are both overkill for a touring adventure bike and xc singletrack riding as well. It's like a marketing solution in search of a problem that just isn't there on some types of bikes. My ti fargo rides smoothly, but it is not a light bike compared to other ti and steel 29er frames I have owned. My guess is that all of the added weight of the alternator drop outs, and being overbuilt make it heavier than it needs to be.

    Personally I am likely to just leave mine as is or maybe just sell the bike which is the direction I am leaning.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-15-2015, 05:59 AM
  2. Rockshox Dart 2 forks Better than Sunfork XCT forks?
    By max3 in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-08-2014, 01:46 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-28-2013, 07:40 AM
  4. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 08-13-2012, 10:55 AM
  5. Fargo Steel vs Fargo TI
    By surly73 in forum Salsa
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-12-2011, 04:53 AM

Members who have read this thread: 4

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.