El Mariachi with Woodchippers?- Mtbr.com
    None

El Mariachi with Woodchippers?

Has anyone tried using Woodchippers with the El Mariachi? Looking to use mine for bikepacking. Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts, opinions, and experiences.

mtbr member
    Not that combo specifically, but drop bars on a mountain bike designed for flat or riser bars typically require 40-50 mm of spacers and a short and steep stem. Mine is 35 and 70 mm. (Because of the angle it puts the handlebar more like 55 mm away from the steerer tube (centerline to centerline). If you're between sizes, choose the smaller one. (Normally I advise to go larger and using a shorter stem, but with drop bars the stem must be short to begin with).

It can be a hassle to get the fit right. I was aiming to make the drops my primary hand position, so I exaggerated the amount of spacers and it killed my power output when standing and gripping the hoods. I also made the mistake of "shortening" my cockpit by using an inline seatpost and moving the saddle forward. It only put more weight on my arms and the bar felt more difficult to reach than before. I have since understood saddle adjustment better and moved it back, which made the handlebar easier to reach and the front easier to lift over obstacles.

The downside to moving the saddle back is that I can't move behind the saddle on technical descents, but it's hardly an issue when bikepacking. I have tried to have the saddle too high for descents and moving the saddle forward was the wrong solution - it should be lower instead. A dropper post would fix that but for now I rather raise the saddle for longer XC'ish rides and lower it when doing shorter technical rides.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    If your looking for more hand positions on a MTB look into Jones loop or cut h-bars. I use some on my BP bike, as well as my gravel and comutter/road touring bikes, and LOVE them. Just did 250 miles in 48 hours last week with great results.

None
    Thanks. If you are moving to the Jones Loop bar after current position is set up for flat bars, how much longer should the stem be? This is the other option I am considering and may work best with my "conventional" frame.

mtbr member
    Well on an 2007 if that helps.
    I was always going to go drop bars, so bought a frame size down (large 20" when I would normally ride a xl 22") for the shorter top tube. Started out with midge bars which worked well but found the 46 cm woodchippers gave me a better position and suited my riding so still use them.
    For bikepacking, I would say WC make the ideal setup as the width gives you plenty of room to swing stuff off up front.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails El Mariachi with Woodchippers?-el-mari4.jpg