El Mariachi - Headset Question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014

El Mariachi - Headset Question

I have a 2013 El Mar w/ a tapered head tube, and I'm planning on fitting it with a Firestarter fork with a straight 1 1/8 steerer tube. Could someone point me towards the correct headset for this job. Can I use my stock upper and just replace my lower, or do I need to change out the whole thing? Thanks for the help my search has left me uncertain and Salsa hasn't gotten back to me yet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Thanks killer, but I have checked out this site before, and it still left me with uncertainty. I'm new to this stuff, and want to make sure I'm getting the the right parts for the job.

Anyone out there have an El Mar with straight 1 1/8 fork? What headset do you use?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I believe you can just use a different crown race on your new fork. The race mimics a tapered fork so you dont have to replace anything in your headset. Maybe someone else with more knowledge can chime in.

Something like this: Cane Creek Crown Race 1.5" - 1-1/8" 40/110 Conversion
    Salsa El Mariachi SS
    Salsa Vaya
    Lurch Fatbike

mtbr member
    May 2009
    two options from chris king:

you can get a lower inset that will fit your frame dia, and the fork dia. This is what I have, but I wish that got the regular tapered headset.

What I should have done is get the stepped crown race from CK, then if I wanted to ever switch to a fork with a tapered steerer, I wouldn't have to get a new lower for my headset.

I think the crown race adapter, either cane creek or chris king is the way to go

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Yes you can still use the same lower unit of the headset. You will need a new headset race for the fork. I did the same on my El Mar. You need to ensure you get the same model of what currently is used on your frame. The model (likely Cane Creek) will also have a version that converts 1-1/8 forks to the 1-1/2 of your frame. Buy the entire headset and just use the bearing and fork race.

Hope that makes sense.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Thanks everyone, I picked up a Cane Creek Crown 1.5" - 1-1/8" 40/110 Conversion Race HERE

Worked like a charm. Now I've realized I overlooked a caliper mount, now I'm struggling to find one that will work with my elixir calipers with 170mm rotors