El Mariachi Geo on older models?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2013

El Mariachi Geo on older models?

Hi guys, quick question here:
    There's a killer deal on a 2011 Bomb Pop Blue frame near me and I'm considering it for a future singlespeed project bike as I've always wanted one of these. Doing a little searching, however, it looks like the geometry is a little different in the 2011 model compared to current? Specifically the specs I found for the 2011 list the chainstay as something like 447-465 where the currents are 430-447. Did the geo change sometime between 2011 and now? Kind of prefer the shorter stays, but then I'm intending to build it as a xc singlespeed to have alongside my more 'trail' oriented bike so maybe it doesn't need to have all the newfangled short-stay geo stuff.
    Any help would be appreciated! (Searched and didn't find my answer, but I'm bad at searching so sorry if I missed it).

mtbr member
    I don't know very much about riding singlespeed, but since you definitely do more climbing while standing the shorter chainstays would help with rear wheel traction. Also for some climbing problems you don't have the luxury of crawling up something with low gearing so you have to hit it with momentum, so it can be important that you can loft the front tire at speed.

Salsa definitely tweaks their bike's geometry from year to year without much fanfare.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slounsberry View Post
    Hi guys, quick question here:
    There's a killer deal on a 2011 Bomb Pop Blue frame near me and I'm considering it for a future singlespeed project bike as I've always wanted one of these. Doing a little searching, however, it looks like the geometry is a little different in the 2011 model compared to current? Specifically the specs I found for the 2011 list the chainstay as something like 447-465 where the currents are 430-447. Did the geo change sometime between 2011 and now? Kind of prefer the shorter stays, but then I'm intending to build it as a xc singlespeed to have alongside my more 'trail' oriented bike so maybe it doesn't need to have all the newfangled short-stay geo stuff.
    Any help would be appreciated! (Searched and didn't find my answer, but I'm bad at searching so sorry if I missed it).
    I've got the 2010 model and have it set up as single speed. I demoed the 2015 single speed edition and it felt like a completely different model. However, my current el mar is one year older than yours and I LOVE it. Only thing I haven't done yet is step up to a 100mm fork instead of my Manitou 80mm. I'm worried it'll mess with the geo. Also, I think that 2011 blue was the first with the dropouts instead of the EBB right? thats always a bonus. I say get it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    The dark gray 2010 El Mar (with gears) was my first bike, and I still own it. It's a very nimble feeling ride, so if the price is right, I wouldn't hesitate.