El Mariachi fit question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

El Mariachi fit question

LBS will soon be getting the new El Mariachi frames, I intend to purchase one, but I am right between sizes height wise. I'm 6', 33" stand over. My concerns are the 32" stand over on the large pushing the limit, as opposed to having only about 3/4" worst case toe to tire clearance on the medium. If any Salsa riders could shed a bit of light on Salsa's sizing, I would appreciate it. Do their frames tend to feel large/small to the suggested sizing on their site? Thanks.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'7" and ride a medium. I couldn't imagine being 6ft on this same frame.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'm 5'11" w/ 32" inseam and riding a Medium (2007). I'm using a Thomson layback post, seat all the way back on the rails and a 100mm stem. I'd go Large if I were you.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks for the responses, that is exactly the sort of info that I was wanting.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Large, most definitely.
    My other bike is a /7.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    6' here. 32" inseam in my jeans, and I have a top of saddle to center BB measurement of 76 cm. I'm on a large, and wouldn't go smaller either. The only mod I've made is to replace the 110 stem it came with down to a 90.

Awesome bikes!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I was thinking about the medium for flickability, but everything I ride is 69 deg hta or slacker, so even the large with a 72 deg should feel quite quick and nimble. All of the math, plus responders real life opinions, plus every darn fit calculator that I could find online all say large. Large it is, and it is supposed to be in Monday or Tuesday. I love the versatility of the alternator drop outs. It's first incarnation is going to be single speed, Fox F29, XT brakes, Cane Creek 100 headset, Thomson post and stem, and once everything is dialed it will get carbon bars. The parts are here just waiting, hopefully I'm riding it in a couple of weeks. FWIW, I'm bombing around Phoenix, AZ. Thanks everybody.
    Last edited by Stumpy29er; 07-30-2010 at 11:31 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I don't know. I test rode a large and medium today. I am 6 feet with a 33 inch inseam. My nuts scraped that top tube of the large when standing up. Guy who owns the shop is my same height and has two in medium. Seat and bars are about even height on a large for me. I wish they made a 19 (vs. the 18-med and 20-large).

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dropped68
    I don't know. I test rode a large and medium today. I am 6 feet with a 33 inch inseam. My nuts scraped that top tube of the large when standing up. Guy who owns the shop is my same height and has two in medium. Seat and bars are about even height on a large for me. I wish they made a 19 (vs. the 18-med and 20-large).
    Did the large, no regrets, doesn't feel or ride big, nice fit with 100mm stem, 6 ft 33 in inseam.
    The question isn't who's going to let me, it's who's going to stop me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Well...as they say, you can make a small bike bigger, but you can't make a big bike smaller. I love my large. I have a 26'er for tight stuff.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy29er
    Did the large, no regrets, doesn't feel or ride big, nice fit with 100mm stem, 6 ft 33 in inseam.
    Excellent -- thanks. Appreciate hearing that. I think I will end up going large. It just felt so good lengthwise.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dropped68
    Excellent -- thanks. Appreciate hearing that. I think I will end up going large. It just felt so good lengthwise.
    In fact, very nimble and fast bike, climbs excellent, I'm running 32X12-36 and love it,100mm Fox F29 fork.

Apr 2007
    I'm 5'10.5" and probably on the cusp of going to a large. But the medium feels good to me. 100m stem and the fit is pretty spot on. I've got a 700mm bar on there, too.

I'm currently SS, but would like to get a 9 or 10 sp drivetrain to go 1x9/10 (occasionally)

mtbr member
    6ft 34+inseam long legs short torso long arms

large fits perfectly

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I'm 6', 1-3/4" with a 32" inseam. I tried out the 18" complete at my lbs and it felt really good. Maybe it felt so good because I was testing out some less than 700 dollar 26ers.

I ordered a large. I hope it's a good fit, but if not, my dealer said he would swap it for the medium. Everything I've read dictates that the large would be the best fit for me. It's gonna be a long wait until may...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by icaro2000
    I'm 6', 1-3/4" with a 32" inseam. I tried out the 18" complete at my lbs and it felt really good. Maybe it felt so good because I was testing out some less than 700 dollar 26ers.

I ordered a large. I hope it's a good fit, but if not, my dealer said he would swap it for the medium. Everything I've read dictates that the large would be the best fit for me. It's gonna be a long wait until may...
    The wait will be worth it. I've been tearing around on mine for almost a year now, and it is still a blast to ride. Took off my 1X9 and went back SS, what a riot!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy29er
    The wait will be worth it. I've been tearing around on mine for almost a year now, and it is still a blast to ride. Took off my 1X9 and went back SS, what a riot!!
    I love the swing alternator drop outs. The option to go single speed makes this bike even more attractive than it already is. I don't think I've been on a mountain bike that felt as natural as this 29er. First time I ever got on a 29er, and right away, it felt more natural to me than any of the 26ers I have tried out. I don't know if that's because the medium size was a good fit, or because it was a 29er, or both (I can never seem to find a good fit on a 26er). I hope the large feels even better.

I'm wondering if the large would fit me better than the medium. I guess I have kind of short legs for my build. Long torso, and average to long arms. What are you guys calling 'inseam'? Are you referring to inseam as the actual inseam of the pants one wears? Or does it refer to the actual pubic bone height?

I wear 32" inseam pants, and I believe my pbh is 33". Should I worry about the large El Mar being a nut cruncher? I know I shouldn't let that be a serious concern of mine considering I probably wont be straddling the top tube often. I will find out for myself which one will be a better fit this coming May when I can test ride the large. If only I knew that the medium would be a better fit, I would go pick it up today! I definitely think I'm one of those in-between-sizes kind of guys.
    Last edited by icaro2000; 04-18-2011 at 06:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    33" to my pubic bone, 32" inseam blue jeans, haven't smushed the boys yet, riding a large with a 90mm stem and the cockpit feels good, 6' tall. This bike loves to climb. I also have a 67 deg hta AM bike, so naturally see some deficiency in the descent area, but keep your weight back and the wheels rolling and this bike will eat up chunk surprisingly well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Nice. This is very good to hear! Looks like the large is gonna be the right size. Thanks for the tip/comparisons on descents. Hope it arrives sooner than later.

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    ey guys! I'm thinking about an El Mar.
    any 5'8.5--9"er owners around? which size do you have?

My Pugs is a 18" 595.6 ETT... I ride it with a 90mm stem, a no setback seatpost and my Brooks is pretty much all the way forward...ride is confy...but to be honest, I always wished to have tried a 16" 580.9 ETT...here in Mex there isn't a store where you can try Salsa's or Surly's...really s&cks.

My other rideable bike is a Trek 4500 18" too...but its geometry is a bit weird having a 568 ETT...it has a 100mm stem, a slightly setback seatpost and the other day I put the same Brooks on it for a longish ride and after fitting, the saddle end up pretty much all the way back...so...I really really can trust any of my bikes geos to compare

I'm getting a pro fit test soon but I would like to hear from real owners

I'm 5'9" 32" inseam.... today at the specialized store they did a quick fit and they thought their 17,5" 592.5 ETTstumpy 29er ht was a good fit for me

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I tried the medium and the large.
    I felt "on top" of the large and "in" the medium. The medium felt more natural to me initially, and more controllable as well. I noticed that I felt a little more upright on the medium, and I wondered if I would want to set the seat further back or not. I felt more pressure on my shoulders and wrists with the large. I wonder if the large needed to be set up more properly for my body...

After a little bit of test riding, I noticed that the seat on the large was set all the way back. I readjusted, and now the large felt much better and less stretched out (Although I did still feel more pressure on my shoulders/wrists than on the medium).
    I will be using it on paved roads as much as on the trails.

Do you think I should stick with the medium, or maybe go with the large and add some adjustments (swap out stem and bars, etc..)? Do you think I can get that 'in-the-bike' feeling with the large as I felt with the medium by making those few adjustments?

After riding the medium for the next week, if I feel like the large would be a better fit, my dealer will let me exchange them. My dealer also has a small and large (or medium) in stock for a great price (PM me if you want to know more about that).
    Last edited by icaro2000; 05-04-2011 at 07:11 PM.

Apr 2007
    I'm a fan of longer TT and shorter stem. If I were in your shoes, I'd go large with 70-80mm stem.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    I'm a fan of longer TT and shorter stem. If I were in your shoes, I'd go large with 70-80mm stem.
    By going from the stock 110mm stem to a 70/80mm stem, do you think this would eliminate the issues I noticed on the large? Do you think it would then give me that 'in-the-bike' feeling I get with the medium? Being a tad bit obsessive compulsive doesn't help much with all this either, lol.

I'm sure if I had more experience, I would know the answers to my questions.

Thanks!
    Last edited by icaro2000; 05-04-2011 at 07:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    If your LBS is letting you "try" a medium for a week, they may let you "try" a different stem on the large. As stated above, I'm 6 ft tall, typical build, and I'm riding a large. I recently switched from a 90mm 6 degree rise with a 685mm 9 degree flat bar, to a 90mm 0 degree with 715mm 9 degree low rise. My hands are pretty much in the same place, but less pressure/stress on my shoulders because of the riser bar. Also, I spend almost all of my riding time hammering single track, SS, so commuting comfort is not a concern for me. By the sounds of it, you will be spending a fair amount of time riding less aggressively, so you're going to have to pay a little more attention to "relaxed" comfort. You're going to love the bike though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I think I will take your advise and look into trying that out. I am definitely not going to be hammering anything at first, but I am sure that my riding will evolve by the end of the season. As far as testing out the bike for the week.. its actually more like for the next few days and on rail trails, but fortunate none the less. Tomorrow or the next day, I will see about trying out the large with a stem and handlebar change. Thanks!
    Last edited by icaro2000; 05-03-2011 at 08:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Slightly off topic, but what are folks running their forks at on the El Mariachi - 80 or 100mm? I just ordered a Size L frame and will put my older Reba on it. I've been riding a Niner SIR9 with the fork at 80mm, but it looks like the frame is desighed around the longer travel.

Apr 2007
    I'm at 80mm on the Reba with no complaints.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I'm thinking that technically the frame is designed around an 80ish fork, but I'm running 100mm and it handles just fine. Either will work fine, your choice.

Apr 2007
    FYI, I emailed Salsa about this few weeks ago and they said either 80 or 100 will work just fine.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Thanks for the input. I'll stick with 80 then since I definitely preferred to the 100 on the 9er.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I am 6' with a 35.5 inseam on a large, it has a 100mm R/S sl fork on it now but I also prefer the 80mm fork, I have one on my other bike and I'm taking off and putting it on the EL Mar tomorrow. The "one-thing" that I noticed that was different from all the other steel bikes that I have owned is that the El Mar is stiff for a steel bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Got the large. Thank goodness. At 6 ft even and a 33 inch inseam, the large fits pretty well. Could maybe go with a slightly longer stem than the 110. But no way would the medium fit. I'd need a custom stem to get enough length. Glad I didn't listen to my LBS.

mtbr member
    Here's a pic for reference. I'm 6 ft tall inseam is 34-35in This is a size large.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails El Mariachi fit question-img_0143.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by puddletown View Post
    Here's a pic for reference. I'm 6 ft tall inseam is 34-35in This is a size large.
    Syncline? Sure looks like the Columbia. If so, you may see me up there on an identical bike.

mtbr member
    Yup Syncline, last Sunday. See you on the trail.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by martinsillo View Post
    ey guys! I'm thinking about an El Mar.
    any 5'8.5--9"er owners around? which size do you have?

My Pugs is a 18" 595.6 ETT... I ride it with a 90mm stem, a no setback seatpost and my Brooks is pretty much all the way forward...ride is confy...but to be honest, I always wished to have tried a 16" 580.9 ETT...here in Mex there isn't a store where you can try Salsa's or Surly's...really s&cks.

My other rideable bike is a Trek 4500 18" too...but its geometry is a bit weird having a 568 ETT...it has a 100mm stem, a slightly setback seatpost and the other day I put the same Brooks on it for a longish ride and after fitting, the saddle end up pretty much all the way back...so...I really really can trust any of my bikes geos to compare

I'm getting a pro fit test soon but I would like to hear from real owners

I'm 5'9" 32" inseam.... today at the specialized store they did a quick fit and they thought their 17,5" 592.5 ETTstumpy 29er ht was a good fit for me
    I'm in a similar situation. I'm sort of in between a small and medium..
    Any thoughts, opinions or input is greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JudgeMorris View Post
    I'm in a similar situation. I'm sort of in between a small and medium..
    Any thoughts, opinions or input is greatly appreciated.
    I don't know about that fit chart. I'm 6ft and ride a large. I seriously doubt someone 6-3 could fit on a large. I'm not even sure someone 6-1 could. If you are in between sizes, I'm guessing you'd be better off on the larger of the two.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Dropped68 View Post
    I don't know about that fit chart. I'm 6ft and ride a large. I seriously doubt someone 6-3 could fit on a large. I'm not even sure someone 6-1 could. If you are in between sizes, I'm guessing you'd be better off on the larger of the two.
    Thanks for your input!

Members who have read this thread: 1