El mariachi cracks?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

El mariachi cracks?

Just out of curiosity how many of you have had or seen cracked steel Elmariachi. Please list frame year and size where cracked. I have 2 friends who cracked 3 each all large. I have a medium 2016 so far great I hope it last forever .

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Where did they crack it? I have a medium 2015 that I thrash, and no problems yet.

mtbr member
    Every one was at the chain stays on the inside where they are crimped for tire clearance. Drive side and non drive side. Ive only seen larges crack 6 of them total. Just seeing what everyone else has seen.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I started to get worried after reading here about cracked frames so I went over mine very closely and found nothing. I'm surprised to hear by the chainstay crimp; I'll have to look and watch for that.
    1989 Bridgestone mb-3
    2013 Salsa El Mariachi 2
    Soma Smoothie

mtbr member
    It very well may not be an issue just the 2 guys I know hammer this snot out of them.
    They are awesome frames to bad they stopped making them

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I know of no fewer than 5 people locally who have had the cracks on the chainstays, some experienced this failure on replacement frames as well. In one case, the rider got a helluva deal on a Ti Mukluk after going trough 3 El Mar frames.

Sorry, no year details for ya. Salsa didn't give any grief on warranty replacements, either.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Yup, my 2015 large El Mar just cracked on the inside of the chainstay where it is crimped today. In fact, it's about to happen on the other side too. You can see the fracture already starting.

Can anyone speak of what kind of warranty options that Salsa is doing for those that it happened to being that there are no more El Mars?

Always in the wrong gear
    I just recently cracked my 2012 Med El Mar on the inside non drive chainstay. I took it to my welder friend and I'm in the process of putting it back together. That's the beauty of steel.
    Salsa El Mariachi SS

Flat Tire Bike Shop, Cave Creek, AZ

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    One more for cracks in the chain stays on my 15 xl

Human Test Subject
    Besides the mukluk example, how are they handling warranties? Y'all got me worried about my 15 L SS

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I just brought it to the bike shop yesterday day I'll let you know what they say

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Is the steel actually cracking or just the paint?
    Salsa El Mariachi SS
    Salsa Vaya
    Lurch Fatbike

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Hey what about the titanium El Mars. I have a 2013 Ti and a 2013 limited edition steel single speed.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by woodsgroovin View Post
    Hey what about the titanium El Mars. I have a 2013 Ti and a 2013 limited edition steel single speed.
    Never heard of any issues with the Ti frames.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    2015 El Mariachi owner here. Just found a big crack in the non driveside chainstay with one forming on the driveside as well. This was as I was doing a once-over in preparation to head down to Pisgah! Totally bummed and uncertain what salsa will do with the warranty... really not interested in getting a timberjack as a replacement. Here are some pictures.

El mariachi cracks?-elmarcrack1.jpg
    El mariachi cracks?-elmarcrack2.jpg

mtbr member
    Any word from salsa to those that submitted claims on el mars? Just bracing myself haha.
    Last edited by symbi0nt; 04-17-2017 at 05:55 AM. Reason: specificity

mtbr member
    Just bought myself a 2016 frameset and wasn't aware of cracking issues (Groan) Is this commonplace? as I'm pretty hard on bikes.

Professional Nerd
    I have a 2015, and so far it's fine. If it cracks, I'd probably rather have it repaired by a reputable shop than replace it. I can't think of a suitable replacement that isn't quite a bit more expensive.

Dan

mtbr member
    From what I've gathered, the frames that have a habit of cracking are large 2015 El mars. Salsa will not acknowledge the trend, and their solution for me was to credit me ~$400 to put towards a timberjack. Very unhappy about my investment and subsequent defunct status of the el mariachi line.
    - Symbi0nt

mtbr member
    I would only accept a full refund. You would be caught between the devil and the deep blue sea though as you probably invested in the all the parts to fit the salsa. I'm pissed of that I hadn't heard reports of this problem in the past as I will have to keep an eye out every time I start and finish a ride.

Human Test Subject
    Yeah that's terrible customer service. A bunch of my parts wouldn't carry over to a newer frame.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I have a 2015 El Mar SS that I just noticed had cracks in both sides of the chain stay at the crimps. Taking to LBS today. I never thought I would have to worry about cracking a steel frame?!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    2014 XL El Mar got snakebit
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails El mariachi cracks?-erejept.jpg  

mtbr member
    Any particular reason why they always seem to fail on the crimped chainstays?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Fadgadget View Post
    Any particular reason why they always seem to fail on the crimped chainstays?
    I haven't heard anything from Salsa. There is a fair amount of flex there when pedaling hard.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Any of you fellas with a broken El Mar have a set of 12x142 alternator dropouts they don't need anymore?!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by symbi0nt View Post
    2015 El Mariachi owner here. Just found a big crack in the non driveside chainstay with one forming on the driveside as well. This was as I was doing a once-over in preparation to head down to Pisgah! Totally bummed and uncertain what salsa will do with the warranty... really not interested in getting a timberjack as a replacement. Here are some pictures.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Elmarcrack1.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	1132220
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Elmarcrack2.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	1132218
    Yep, mine did the same thing, and to top it all off, my commuter casseroll cracked at the seat tube, about an inch above the BB shell . . . . although I'm pretty sure its out of warranty period.

2 salsa frames in 2 weeks!

Professional Nerd
    Getting queasy....

I'm only 155 lb, but this doesn't bode well for a bike I intended to keep forever and ride all over creation.

Seriously, has anyone tried having a reputable frame shop weld one back together?

Dan

Still Stinky

Mine failed as well.

My 2014? I believe..

Failed back in January of '17. I was super bummed. I loved that bike. I had finally gone back to steel after venturing to aluminum and having two aluminum frames fail. My old fat chance was still going strong, I had just wanted updated frame geometry.

El mariachi cracks?-img_2344.jpg

El mariachi cracks?-img_2339.jpg

I did get a full refund on my frame purchase. Unfortunately some of my parts wouldn't completely swap over. I did use the wheel set on a second hand horse thief frame I picked up.

This was defiantly a manufacture issue. A lot of these frames cracked at the same point at that crimp in the chain stay.

I ended up buying a 7th gen. Chameleon to fill the multi-purpose front suspension hardtail bike hook in my collection. Their adjustable dropout system defiantly rivals Salsa's Alternator series.

I almost forgot, Mine was a Medium size

Still Stinky
    Quote Originally Posted by MudderNutter View Post
    Any of you fellas with a broken El Mar have a set of 12x142 alternator dropouts they don't need anymore?!
    I sold mine on eBay about a 2 months after I cracked my frame.

I don't know if you are still looking for a set..

Since the proper set with the Maxle wasn't available, the way I got mine was by purchasing a set designed for a fat bike, the one that had the DT-Swiss RWS T/A. I took it to my local machine shop, had it milled down and threaded to a length of I believe 174mm. I can't remember exactly, but if you take the 142 and add the width of each dropout (at the axle holes) you'll get it. It worked perfectly!

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    My 2014 El Mar XL single speed has cracks on both sides, which I had welded. The non-chainstay side is getting worse and showing more cracks. Welds holding on chain stay side. Bought the bike used, so Salsa was like, "Nope. Not today, sucka!"

Out of curiosity, what frame might fit as many components as possible (I'm not wed to Salsa)? Any suggestions?