El-Mar Ti (old vs new frame)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011

El-Mar Ti (old vs new frame)

I've got the old 1 1/8th inch head tube, standard geared dropout version.

I don't need singlespeed but I am kind of tempted by the tapered headtube on the later frame - as it seems straight steerer 29er forks are becoming a rarity.

Are there any on you serious Salsa riders who've ridden old and new frames and can compare the real world ride feel differences (if any) between the two frames ?

Cheers, Timmy

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I have had all three versions. The first two were the made by Lynskey versions. The first one was nice but I wanted the stiffer front end and sold it to get the updated 44mm dead tube. The second frame also made by Lynskey cracked on the seattube under the top tube. I saw several pictures of other El Mariachi and Lynskey frames that did the same thing(yes I had more than enough set post in the frame). I now have the new version which is made in Taiwan and think it is the best one yet. Here are the reasons why:
    1. the curved manipulated seat and chain stays offer more compliance where I want it to soak up the small bumps.
    2. The alternator dropouts are very nice and offer multiple options.
    3. There is more butting in the frame and they were able to get the seat tube to a 27.2 without the need for an aluminum sleeve.
    4. This one hasn't broken yet like the last one!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thanks for the detailed reply. Since you've had 3 of them, you clearly like the ride as much as I do. I think mine must be a 2011 Lynskey build but I've had no problems so far.
    I was thinking of a used frame 2013 or 14 but I serioiusly hate the half blue frame.
    I like the look of the new black & ti frame (which I'm guessing is the only one which is Taiwanese). Thanks for the info. I'll be sitting on (quite literally) my old frame for now. How do you distinguish the Taiwanese frame from the Lynskey built one - is it the one with the black paintjob? I am also a fan of the 27.2 seat post diameter - nice ride!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    The blue/ti one with alternators is also chinese.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

El-Mar Ti (old vs new frame)

Try to find a 2013. That was year one of the Taiwanese frame and is completely raw. I love the way Salsa frames handle hence the reason I have had 3 of the Ti frames.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Yup - I love my 2011 frame. I orginally had it with a Fox F29, but I put that on my Spearfish and I've been riding the El-Mar with the rigid Cromoto for some time now. Still surprised at just how nice it is.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    If anyone is interested, I have a 2013 XL Ti frame w/fox fork I'm looking to give up (sadly) I do love that bike. PM me if interested