El Mar as 29+- Mtbr.com

Thread: El Mar as 29+

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

El Mar as 29+

I'm thinking about getting an El Mar with the intention of maybe moving it towards a 29+ rig, but I'm not sure if it's the right platform.

Can it fit a 29x3 in the back with the sliding chainstays? Are either of the stock suspension forks on the 2 or 3 (Recon Gold/Fox F29 Evo) capable of fitting the 29x3?

Anyone info is greatly appreciated.

Shift less, Pedal more.
    I don't think you'll be able to get a 3 on the back. I ran a 2.2 Kenda Slant 6 and it fit, but close, with dropouts all the way forward. I don't think it'll take anything over 2.5. I've heard if you move the rear drop outs back, you can get some additional clearance. Just found this on the salsa site:

Generous Tire ClearanceFits 29 x 2.4" tire w/ ample mud clearance

Looks like the El Mar will take a 2.4 on the back.
    I'd rather be hated for what I am, than loved for what I'm not......Dolemite.

Human Test Subject
    27+ works with up to about a 35mm velocity rim. 29+ won't.
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I posted this in another forum as I did not see this thread.

Last weekend I made this conversion. I managed to fit a Vee Rubber Trax Fatty 29X 3.0 in the back of my El Mariachi with the alternator dropouts all the way back. It fits! With a bit of room to spare (but just a bit). The key is that the Trax Fatty does not have tread that extends very far down the sidewalls. Otherwise neither a Knard or a Chupacabra 3.0 tire fit back there. I have a Knard on the front and both are mounted (tubeless) on Velocity P35 rims.

I am hoping to do an overnight bikepack in two weekends to really test it out. My main concern is if the wheel goes out of true that I may be screwed. Or if I encounter mud (but I live in NM and we rarely experience such things in the warmer months) Backup plan is running an Ardent 2.4 in the back and the Knard up front. But for now, I am playing with the Trax Fatty. Have only about 20 minutes on the bike since I set it up this way so I donít have much to report. But I have made hard turns and no tire rub at all. And it does feel great. Not much fun on pavement with low pressure though. But such is the nature of these tires.

El Mar as 29+-img_1168.jpg

El Mar as 29+-img_1175.jpg

El Mar as 29+-img_1176.jpg

El Mar as 29+-img_1177.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Looks great. Would love to hear a ride report on how it works for you trip.

I'm still undecided, but the current $250 rebate on the El Mar is making it very tempting.

What is the width on the Vee tires? I'd be surprised if they're close to 3.0...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Here is a link to some stats on the Trax Fatty. The author lists the width as more like 2.8 but it is also a taller tire than the Knard so volume is felt to be similar:

https://meriwethercycles.wordpress.c...-fatty-review/

And another one here profiling the TF as a bikepacking tire:

Bikepacking on the Vee Trax Fatty 29 Tire - Pedaling Nowhere

I got the idea to throw that thing on the back after reading a Japanese El Mar rider's experiments with the Knard. Haven't been able to find that page however. But the guy ended up shaving off some of the knobbies that extend down the tire's sidewalls to make it work. When I compared the Trax Fatty and the Knard, I could see that the tread width is significantly less on the TF and I thought "Maybe. Just maybe..." So far so good...

Its definitely bigger than the Ardent 2.4's!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Update on the Trax fatty as a rear tire for the El Mar:

Got the bike out for a good beat down last weekend. Lots of climbing and rocky descents, rock gardens and a few ~2ft drops. The bike performed amazingly well both climbing and descending. She's a beast! It was a terrifically fun ride and I have no plans to switch out the rear for now.

I had been warned the Trax fatties might stretch but so far so good. It probably has about 100 miles on it now. No tire rub on the frame but the occasional chain buzz on the tire. Running a 2x9 that puts the chain pretty close to the tread at times. On a hard tight turn it can swing against the wheel. Very minor though.

I am really enjoying this setup and am excited to get it out for a bikepack. Had planned to do so last weekend but plans changed...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I think its a great deal. Just bought the 3. First Mtn bike in several years for me, also first 29er. Love it so far.

Members who have read this thread: 0