Drop Bar Pogies?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Drop Bar Pogies?

I'm planning to make some pogies for my bikes this winter and the flat bar set-up seems pretty straightforward. There's also quite a few examples online for flatbars, so they should be simple. But I'm wondering if anyone has any good ideas or pics of decent drop bar pogies? I would like to ride the drops and hoods. I have a few ideas in my head regarding fabrics and design but others are far more creative than I am. I'm specifically on Bell Laps, but I imagine the idea should be the same regardless of dropbar. I hate cold fingers and I hate big wonky gloves.

Just hoping a few of you Adventure by Bike guys have a decent set-up I could mimic

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    barmitts.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarf
    barmitts.com

Thanks for the link! They seem nice and simple. Have you used them before? They aren't really the design I have in my head though, but it does offer some ideas. Doesn't look like you can get into the drops, which I like to do when navigating downhill singletrack.

Klydesdale
    Feb 2005
    The same people who make the Moose Mitts I have for flat bars now make a road bar version. They don't look like they'd be all that warm but they will at least keep the wind off and you can use the hoods and drops with them.
    http://www.trails-edge.com/retail/te...mfbikemits.htm

PMC
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    Barmits are cool but really meant for riding on the hoods. You get no weather protection in the drops and if you're anything like me you'll want to wear the least amount of glove you can when you use them.

I have poggies for my MTB, road/cx bike and even my motorcycle.
    Heated grips and poggies on my KTM rock when it's cold out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    The same people who make the Moose Mitts I have for flat bars now make a road bar version. They don't look like they'd be all that warm but they will at least keep the wind off and you can use the hoods and drops with them.
    Keith,
    Thanks for the plug...the newer Road Mitts (i.e drop bar Moose Mitts) are actually a lot warmer than they look. Here is a quick link to one of our customers who did a review online last year.

http://delightexplode.blogspot.com/2...ts-cometh.html

Thanks again
    Mike AKA Sherpaboy

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I just raced the Iceman last weekend, and the Barmitts guy was at the expo the night before. Both versions (drop and flat bar) are very well made and are no more expensive than a good set of winter riding gloves. Highly recommend them.

Full Tilt Boogie
    May 2005
    Has anyone used the drop bar ones with off road type bars such as the Woodchipper? I can see getting a lot of use out of a set of these.
    I sell bikes here. Check out the Blog here. Facebook.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Sherpa thanks for the link and your mitts look great!! My goal is similar but I'm hoping to have a little more enclosure on the rear. Something that I could lay/fallover in the snow and not worry about snow getting in. Have you tried anything like this?

Deux........I'm hoping to make some winter gloves too.....I've recently "discovered" sewing and have been having a ball making things.

For those with mitts, any recommendations on fabric?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

First attempt from some scraps lying around. Came out decent enough that I think I'll use it throughout the winter. I basically made two shells, inner and outer and then sewed them together at the cuff. Inner is just some fleece and the outer is ripstop nylon. Each shell also has velcro specifically for each shell. So the two shells are only connected at the wrist. There is also a small piece of velcro that attaches the inner fleece layer to the very end of the handlebar. This keeps it in place a lot better. I can pretty easily go back and forth from the drops to the hoods. Although, I think with some really heavy gloves I'd want more room. This first one should work fine with less bulky gloves. Pretty excited to get the second one started, and kind of excited about the temps dropping.

There will definitely be some improvements for round 2. For starters, I should have had the velcro overlapping in the other direction just in case of rain/puddles/etc. Eventually I'd like to add a few features, maybe a pocket. First I want to ride these for a while to see what I do and don't like. See what kinds of temps I can handle and what combo of gloves work. I imagine with a SRAM set-up it would be a little simpler and easier since there isn't that cable sticking out of the side of the shifter.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Does anyone make a production enclosed drop bar mitt with which you can ride in the hooks?

Moose mitts look like they don't close and would still require gloves, and barmitts for drops only allow riding in the hoods...

Self-defeatist
    Quote Originally Posted by 88 rex
    ...First attempt from some scraps lying around...
    Did you use a stiffener at the cuff to keep them open?

Nice job, BTW, they look great.
    I'm covered in beer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CLONG
    Did you use a stiffener at the cuff to keep them open?

Nice job, BTW, they look great.

I didn't use a stiffener at the cuff, but fleece is rolled over on itself and then the ripstop over top of that. So it's pretty thick and sturdy a the cuff. The velcro also does a good job at adding rigidity to the whole thing. I think I can see adding a smoother/slippier layer inside to allow a smoother transition from hoods to drops. I'm pretty happy with this one so far. I haven't had time to finish the other side yet. Hopefully this weekend.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pierre meux
    Does anyone make a production enclosed drop bar mitt with which you can ride in the hooks?

Moose mitts look like they don't close and would still require gloves, and barmitts for drops only allow riding in the hoods...
    Agreed on the design and use detail. The real issue is that the production "road bar" pogies are designed for folks that ride road\touring\CX bikes and need the ability to use the hoods. I ride drops off-road as many folks are these days and most of us don't leave the hooks and rarely ride the brake hoods (like never for me personally). A smaller version with a more enclosed design for off-road drops would be much better. Its unlikely that anyone is going to create a production Pogie for the drop bar mountain bikers though, as the market is pretty thin I would guess. Might be worth trying to build something custom though as the concept and basic design is really sound as far as keeping your hands warm. I could imagine a small set of cordura pockets mounted on the front of pedals too. I have Lake winter shoes, but to be honest they just dont cut it. Keeping the wind off your feet and hands at speed is the key for sure.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I tried the bar mitts. They're a little tight on my hands and change how my hands sit on them. I think they need some fine tuning. Maybe I just need to get used to them.

Self-defeatist
    Quote Originally Posted by 88 rex
    ...I think I can see adding a smoother/slippier layer inside to allow a smoother transition from hoods to drops...

Yeah, I'm sure that would be an improvement. Other than that it seems like a great design. You've got full coverage, the ability to use hoods and hooks, and even a way to close the pogies around cables. I might steal this idea next year.

For changing the direction of overlap at the velcro, could you simply switch this pogie to the left side and make a new right side?
    I'm covered in beer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CLONG
    For changing the direction of overlap at the velcro, could you simply switch this pogie to the left side and make a new right side?

It's not symmetrical enough to flip flop back and forth. It's not a dealbreaker though and I don't PLAN on getting stuck in freezing rain. If I were taking more serious backcountry trips and multiday trips, it would be a dealbreaker. Right now I'm just trying to do my normal daily rides in comfort Went for a morning ride this morning on the MTB and my fingers were pretty cold with gloves. Had me wishing for pogies. I HATE cold fingers but love riding in the winter.

Jon BALER
    Jan 2007
    If you are looking for something for the drops, I suggest contacting Bar Mitts - http://barmitts.com/ - about a custom pair.

I wanted something for my moustache bar bike. I sent them an email one afternoon, and they had a custom pair shipped out the next night. Now justing waiting for USPS to deliver them. Custom cost was only ~$20 above standard pricing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by renegade44
    If you are looking for something for the drops, I suggest contacting Bar Mitts - http://barmitts.com/ - about a custom pair.

I wanted something for my moustache bar bike. I sent them an email one afternoon, and they had a custom pair shipped out the next night. Now justing waiting for USPS to deliver them. Custom cost was only ~$20 above standard pricing.
    Thanks for the info! Man...they are really repsonsive with the customer service! It usually takes longer than that just to get an email reply much less having them sent out that quickly. Do us a favor and post a picture of the custom barmitts once you get them. I am really interested in how these look, function, and most importantly, work out for you with the moustache bars.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    So far two rides in the upper 30's. Wore my good old summer time gloves and hands were toasty warm. Loving these things! Was able to ride drops and hoods.

Jon BALER
    Jan 2007

Bar Mitts - Moustache

Mine are working great - http://www.flickr.com/photos/jon_baler/5255565099/

I've done a couple of 4.5 mile commutes in 20 degree F temps with only lighweight fleece gloves, and my hands stayed warm. Took a bit to figure out the adjustment for ideal fit, but got it sorted out. Key is placement of the inner attachment, and BM has been very responsive with making it right if needed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by renegade44
    Mine are working great - http://www.flickr.com/photos/jon_baler/5255565099/

I've done a couple of 4.5 mile commutes in 20 degree F temps with only lighweight fleece gloves, and my hands stayed warm. Took a bit to figure out the adjustment for ideal fit, but got it sorted out. Key is placement of the inner attachment, and BM has been very responsive with making it right if needed.

They look good! How do you like the neoprene? I like how they used an actual zipper, but I think my only option on mine is velcro.

Just a little update that I put in a good 3 hour ride at about 30-32 degrees with just normal summer gloves with a good mix of road, single track and some CX practice and my hands were fine. Also, cruising down the highway at 80 MPH they both stayed on so the velcro is really doing its job.

Jon BALER
    Jan 2007
    The neoprene seems fine, no complaints. Not sure how it will do on longer rides if it gets wet. On the plus, I think it helps keep them stiffer and easier to get in.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    VERY happy with the latest one. I made more room, larger opening, warmer,reflective, stiffer, and a "slippier" inside for transitioning from hoods to drops. I pretty much met all my goals. It's extremely smooth making the transition from hoods to drops and there is a ton of room!! I also added a layer of felt between the ripstop and the fleece. The felt is sewed to the fleece and this added a bit of warmth and considerable stiffness. I can actually use the flats of the bars as well (although I never ride there).

Pogie V2.0........Left is done. Right is cut

V1.0 and V2.0

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Just a follow up about the Moose Mitt road version. We did actually R&D these and found that the open rear end of the Pogie was fine and allowed more freedom for hand placement. Again these are actually warmer than you might think...

This was an e-mail we just got back from a customer.

"I finally got in a couple of cold rides in with the Moose Mitts. Man, what a difference it is NOT having cold, aching fingers on a ride. I went out with the temps in the upper 20ís. Add in the 16-18 MPH wind chill and it was pretty chilly. The Mitts worked absolutely GREAT ! ! Also, since they are constructed the way they are so that the rider may ride in any position on the handlebars, they cover most all of the front. I think they also serve as somewhat of a wind barrier for the mid-section of the body as well."

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    88 Rex, I know it's an old thread, but these likely beat any I can find. Let's talk.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ar786 View Post
    88 Rex, I know it's an old thread, but these likely beat any I can find. Let's talk.

Second Hand Spokes......

Pics of mtb and road versions here. The green Salsa La Cruzis currently sporting the latest the latest set.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    [attach=config]770920[/attach

Drop Bar Pogies?-imag0467.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Drop Bar Pogies?-imag0469.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 9