Double tap dropper conversion- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2017

Double tap dropper conversion

Salsa Fargo is my N+1 hardtail. I put on a 100mm Recon, and a cheap Trans-X dropper with a remote that's mounted at the very end of the bar drops. This bike rips for what it is.

Location of my dropper remote requires me to move my hand back every time I engage it. I read an article that shows how to remove the ratchet thing from the SRAM double-tap and then it can be used for a dropper remote. SWEET SIGN ME UP.....

Except my dropper uses the butt end of a shift cable, and the SRAM double tap needs a butt end as well. So neither end is a crimp fitting.

I've been looking at these cable splitters and I can't quite figure out if any of them will actually work for what I need, which is combining two "naked" cable ends at the splitter and leaving the two butt tips at each end. Having some adjustability would be nice as well since I'll have 2 fixed ends by combining cables. Not sure if this is possible and I can't see any way around making some type of custom fitting.

Local mechanic told me to look into these...
    https://hostelshoppe.com/DAVINCI-Easy-Split-In-Line-Cable-Separators-Shift-75858/?_vsrefdom=adwords&_vsrefdom=adwords&gclid=CjwKCAj w_MnmBRAoEiwAPRRWW81qHi487eGBeKHGPyEPa66xYg38D5gdR ylYSX_Cr8gv-bFtaBlUxxoCaVAQAvD_BwE

The problem is these accept the naked end on one side, and require the butt end to slip into the other side. So my cable combo still only maintains one butt end. As shown here:
    http://www.sandsmachine.com/ac_cable.htm

I can't tell but don't these Jtek cable splitters work the same? They require one side of the splitter to accept the butt tip. Unsure of what the second grub screw is for then?
    https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/cables/jtek-cable-splitter-for-inner-brake-wire-black/?geoc=US

Can't really believe no one has done this on a Cutthroat or Fargo for single-track riding.

Thingamejigger
    What you perhaps need is a ‘solderless cable nipple’.... google it and find one the correct dimension.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Yes this is exactly what I'm hoping for but they all seem to have the same problem. Cable goes into the side, leaving it perpendicular to the nipple, which is opposite of a normal brake cable. I am going to measure regardless.

The other issue with fixing the ends is 0 adjustability. If I had some sort of double pass cable splitter in the middle, I could adjust any slack by just loosening 1 grub screw and pulling the cable tighter. Will be a little harder with the solderless end, but might still work.

Will research and report back.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Dimensions of a normal brake nipple (SRAM cable) are 4.3mm (diameter) x 4.5mm (height)

Thingamejigger
    Any way of modding the dropper? Looking at some of the Trans X posts they have a bolt to nip the cable... could you drill and tap something?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I haven't seen one in a while, but what about one of those cable joiners/splitter things used in conjunction with a detangler on a BMX bike? IIRC, those could accept naked cable at both sides. Or, what about a brake cable quick disconnect, like some folks use on travel bikes? For fine adjustment, you could try using an inline front derailer adjuster also, but those wont give you much travel - maybe enough to get something assembled and then adjusted though.

I love the idea you are going for, and am curious to see what you come up with! I wonder if such a conversion is possible with a Shimano shifter...