Dos Niner magic- Mtbr.com

Thread: Dos Niner magic

Exactly 1/2 of 2-Epic
    Aug 2005

Good job! Dos Niner magic

Here's something Dos Niner owners will understand and appreciate...the Dos rocks!

I acquired a 292 in late July as the first 29er to the stable. Although I loved the ride, there were issues, mainly due to its weight it just wasn't the best bike for what I needed (racing). However, after spending a large part of the past 15 years on 26" bikes, the advantages of the big wheels were immediately apparent. The frame sale at speedgoat and some questions with Salsa was all it took to pull the trigger on the Dos.

With much excitement, I spent the last week building the Dos up with parts acquired from garage stock and some from 26ers (is this their fate??). The Dos is defnitely the most visually appealing bike I've owned, a real thing of beauty. But looks don't a great bike make...

As usual, the chosen route for the break-in ride was a long one - the White Rim, starting at mineral bottom. The climb up the mineral bottom switchbacks immediately showed a strength of the bike - it climbs great and accelerates as good or better than my Fuel. Out of the saddle accelerations are top notch. As built it comes in at 24 lb. It also hugs the ground better than the 292 (might be my 292 shock settings??). The bike really shines when making quick moves at speed. It is both rock solid stable and nimble as a cat. Go figure, I've never had both in the same bike. The softail design does a great job of eating the small chatter as well, and it is incredibly well balanced. I kept saying "wow" to myself as the day went on.

At the end of the day I was fresh as a daisy and posted a PB time for the ride, even though conditions were less than optimal (strong south winds all day). I'm sold, and a big thanks to Salsa for producing such a killer green machine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

pulled the trigger

You did it, man. Been thinking on a dos-niner since I first heard mention of them. One last positive review, and a pointer to Speed Goat's sale (and a quick call to the wife) and they'll be shipping it to me tomorrow.

My Monkey will be bare, pillaged for parts. Guess it'll become a winter-ready single-speed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I agree on all counts. The Dos is an amazing bike.

-t
    wow, this hurts more than it used to.

Members who have read this thread: 0