Dos Niner Fans - Schwalbe Little Albert- Mtbr.com

Jun 2004

Dos Niner Fans - Schwalbe Little Albert

Tried a new tire on the Dos Niner last night. I have to say I personally was very impressed. The qualifier is the area I ride which is loose dirt, hardpack and tight single track. I'm not a knobbie fan since they're generally heavy and have a high rolling resistance. I have a racer boy mentatality so I want something that spins up as fast a possible. But thes seem to be a good choice for going fast and having some grip. It's listed as a 28X2.1 but looks more like a 1.9 because of the sidewall height. It's a little shorter than the Nano and allows for a little extra distance at the shock on the Dos althought the contact patch seems to be about the same. Grip seemed excellent. Never felt the tire was about to wash out in the front and the rear tire hooked up better under hard braking than the Nano ever has. The smaller diameter gives a little better acceleration and probably negates the increased rolling resistance over the Nano. It would appear this is a soft compound tire so longevity may be an issue, but I wouldn't hesitate to use them as a race tire. It will be my tire of choice on the Dos for a while.

bike geek
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenseltz
    Tried a new tire on the Dos Niner last night. It will be my tire of choice on the Dos for a while.
    My Dos frame & various bits arrived from Speedgoat yesterday. I plan to run the extra set of Kenda Klaws I have, since I need the knobbies to get me through the rest of the NorCal rainy season and Sea Otter, but may try the Little Alberts come summer. Thanks for the tip.

Nice looking frame, by the way. I hope to build it up over this 3 day weekend.

Jun 2004

Mud

If your going to be dealing with mud, you might just want to give these a look. Just a suggestion. Good luck on your build hope it turns out as well as mine.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Iggys

I have ignitors on mine, and I just did a sloppy, sort of muddy ride and they were flawless. Never lost grip. Slow, fast, up or down. They roll fine too.

Jun 2004

Knobs

I have a set of Ignitors that I've never used and have a friend that also has a set. He really likes them and will probably own the seet that I have. The Albert has a different shaped center knob and isn't directional but a very similar overall knob pattern and tread depth. The real difference seems to be in the sidewall height. It also looks narrow but specs tread width wider than the Nano and seems to ride larger than it appears. Not enough time on the tires in different terrains to give a better review, but I do like the extra distance the tire give me at the shock.
    Last edited by stevenseltz; 03-24-2005 at 03:20 PM.